Anyone using the Amsoil Euro AEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with the new PentaStar I'm going to test 30wt oils along with the 20wt it's called for because the manual says using a 5w30 is acceptable.
The engine was originally spec'ed for a 30wt so it's part of the reason I want to see if it tends to prefer this over the 20wt.

I was looking at the Spec's for Amsoil AEL 5w30 and it offers really nice HTHS at 3.6 for a 30wt and I figured if I'm going to test anything I might as well test this oil.

As per Amsoil's technical data on the oil, it's also capable of the Dexos 1 Gen 2 specification. (Not tested by GM officially, but by Amsoil in house testing).
So it should be a good performer overall along with having a high HTHS rating. Also has a Noack of 7.1% which is excellent.

Just curious if anyone has used it and what your experiences are with it.

Reference: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf (Page 2 for specs)

TIA

Last edited:
I'd be careful with your oil and filter choices. My son is very active in the Jeep JK community. Many of these Pentastar motors (the same as in your Grand Caravan) have disturbing cold start lifter noise, noise loud enough that it sounds destructive, and at times actually is destructive (rocker failure). My son's engine is one of them that makes this noise.

Anyway, word on the Jeep JK forums is that FCA gets really [censored] on warranty claims when non-OEM filters are used, and when non-MS6395 oil is used (the FCA spec). The Amsoil you are discussing does not meet MS6395.

Yeah I'm aware of the oil not officially meeting the spec.

I'm confident that the Fram Ultra has enough flow otherwise, yes I would use a Mopar filter cartridge. My dad's 2012 PentaStar with the older oil pump runs 5w30 conventional in the cold winters here with a Fram Basic filter cartridge and had 0 issues with 300K on it. We have others in the family that run on conventional bulk in the winter with generic filters and they are fine as well. (Not advocating for this but as additional cases)

Also one thing I would want to know from those Jeep owners is if they have the non-revised oil pump design and the older heads where oil wasn't flooding the heads. That makes a big difference. Although my dad's engine is a 2012 and would have had one of the "affected" heads and he hasn't had any problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
I was wondering why a high HTHS was important in a avg performance vehicle.

It's not because it far exceeds what I need but I was thinking if I'm trying a 30wt I might as well go for the higher HTHS while doing so.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Pablo is our Amsoil expert! I defer to him. No offense StevieC

We have had many conversations.... I wanted experiences from those that are or have used it.
smile.gif

Don't want to make you angry but you may get what you want with factory certification from ravenol.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Don't want to make you angry but you may get what you want with factory certification from ravenol.

Can't get it here even if I wanted to try.

Not to pick nits but the product data sheet you posted the links to shows the AEL being recommended for use where a Dexos 2 product is specified. This stuff is NOT a Dexos 1, Gen 2 product. Your vehicle has no use for this type of oil.

Originally Posted by FowVay
Not to pick nits but the product data sheet you posted the links to shows the AEL being recommended for use where a Dexos 2 product is specified. This stuff is NOT a Dexos 1, Gen 2 product. Your vehicle has no use for this type of oil.

I made that clear above that it's tested by them and not officially certified. The Dexos specification is a good one to go after because it is far superior to a standard SN rated oil. Not that I need it but everywhere where SN is the only requirement can benefit from using a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.
smile.gif

Lubrizol.png

Last edited:
Ravenol is looking more and more Impressive. Just stil a little speedy for me, as the car in my sig shouldn't probably go more than 5k oci.

AEL is dexos 2, dexos 1 gen 2 is totally different and for gas engines. dexos 2 is for diesels. Not that it would hurt a thing in your vehicle. Just wanted to make sure you knew the difference.

I looked at it, and considered it for my VW using a 504/507 oil. The specs look good. That said, I can't see why I'd use this over Pennzoil Platinum Euro L, which for me at least is 1/4 the price (I know Euro L no longer has the 504/507 approval, but warranty isn't a concern for me). Not sure of the price/availability of PP Euro L in Canadaville, but down here it's just too good a deal to pass up. If you're looking for a heavy SN 30W oil for some reason, this seems like a good option. The Amsoil does too if you don't mind the price.

I have used that oil in my sons turbo Mini Cooper S. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary, and I do not even recall why I decided to use it. I went back to the Amsoil SS 5w30 . I use the Amsoil SS 0w30 in my Ecotec 2.0 supercharged engine, but lately put in some PUP 5w30. The 0w30 was very nice in colder temps for the ease of starting, and the UOA have been very good.

Originally Posted by Rat407
AEL is dexos 2, dexos 1 gen 2 is totally different and for gas engines. dexos 2 is for diesels. Not that it would hurt a thing in your vehicle. Just wanted to make sure you knew the difference.

I didn't know they were different and that is really stupid of GM to have a Dexos 1 Gen 2 and a Dexos 2.

Originally Posted by JOD
I looked at it, and considered it for my VW using a 504/507 oil. The specs look good. That said, I can't see why I'd use this over Pennzoil Platinum Euro L, which for me at least is 1/4 the price (I know Euro L no longer has the 504/507 approval, but warranty isn't a concern for me). Not sure of the price/availability of PP Euro L in Canadaville, but down here it's just too good a deal to pass up. If you're looking for a heavy SN 30W oil for some reason, this seems like a good option. The Amsoil does too if you don't mind the price.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I have used that oil in my sons turbo Mini Cooper S. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary, and I do not even recall why I decided to use it. I went back to the Amsoil SS 5w30 . I use the Amsoil SS 0w30 in my Ecotec 2.0 supercharged engine, but lately put in some PUP 5w30. The 0w30 was very nice in colder temps for the ease of starting, and the UOA have been very good.

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back