Anyone using an oversize aftermarket filter on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... their 1ZZ-FE? I know the Celica sized tall OEM filter will fit no problem, and assuming the same should be true for the aftermarket as well. I'm just wondering if anyone is doing this. The standard sized 1ZZ-FE filter is pretty small, where there's a couple brands I can get for the same price regardless of filter size, I'm debating moving up to the tall Celica filter for my Corolla - but plan to stick with aftermarket rather than OEM.

You want a filter for your Toyota that's taller, but still small-diameter, with 3/4x16 thread, yes? I think the Motorcraft FL-400 should fill the bill- but double-check before you go out & buy one.

Toyota spec'd the longer Camry filter quite a few years ago for the Corolla. I've got a few of those in the stash and run them here and there with no problems.

I see no need for anything other than what is spec'd for the engine. Either the shorter one or the slightly longer ones that fit the Camry. I've posted photos of both before and started a thread on it here years ago.

Bill

Amsoil EaO34 is bigger. I use it on my Lexus. Amsoil stopped making the spec'd filter for those due to some pressure problems so I tracked this one down because of the 3/4 x 16 threads.

Isn't that funny...my Lexus has 3/4 x 16 threads and my F150 truck has metric threads!

I've used either an OEM/90915-YZZF1, a PureOne/PL14477 or a Bosch Premium/3325 on my '05 Vibe (1ZZFE) since new. Like you stated, they're generally the same price as the spec'd filter...so why not go w/the larger one (it also makes for an even 4qt oil change on my particular version of the 1ZZFE)? I suspect just about any filter spec'd for the 2ZZGE engine will work on your Corolla, so you have lots of options.

the 2zz-ge (celica GTS and corolla/Matrix XRS) cars spec the longer yzzf1 while the 1zz-fe cars (regular celica and corolla/matrix) spec the yzzf2, i have worked in a toyota dealer and they prefer we used the f2's when we could because there apparently cheaper? but if we ran out, the f1's were substituted in for the f2's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back