Anyone own a newer Si curious about them

I am considering buying a 2018-2022 si. How are they reliability wise? Any issues? I currently own a 21 WRX and I'm terrified of it. It's enjoyable to drive but it's quirky especially when come out and I know they have an oiling issue so they're hard on the main bearings. I worry that I'll end up hurting it by modding it or driving it spirited and because of this I'm considering a more reliable fun car. How are they? Look forward to all the input.

buy extended warranty? cheaper than trading cars.
Won't cover it because it's been tuned.
Also and this is a semi newer issue if I drive it on a longer drive it makes my sciatic nerve freak out and I'm miserable. Anything over 90 minutes and I'm sore. 😞 It's hell getting older.

beyond globs of RTV migrating to the oil pickup I'd agree (or was that fixed)
That's a very exaggerated thing that isn't an issue many manufacturers use rtv, just like subaru. Nobody has seen a significant number of issues come up. You're more likely to blow your transmission than have rtv or engine problems

doesn't mean your car will have any oil related issues. what do you mean quirky as in the vehicle isn't stable at speeds?

In my experience having owned several Honda products and some older Subaru products, both have strengths and weaknesses. In stock form, I’ll nod to the Honda with the leading edge for drivetrain but conversely nod towards Subaru for suspension durability and chassis stiffness. I’ve not driven the wrx but I’d also say that out on the edge it probably has a little more capability.

If you tune it, all that goes out the window depending on how and how much. I’ve not driven a newer Si, but we did have a civic sport 1.5T 6MT in the family and quite enjoyed it.

doesn't mean your car will have any oil related issues. what do you mean quirky as in the vehicle isn't stable at speeds?
Doesn't run well when cold outside until it warms all the way up. Has low power output 1/4 or lower fuel level. Dash rattles etc just things you wouldn't expect on a car as expensive as it is.

beyond globs of RTV migrating to the oil pickup I'd agree (or was that fixed)
You don't think the FA20 has oiling issues? I mean I'm willing to hear your argument but I've personally seen several with rod bearing failure also forums and such that talk about it. I know it can be overblown online but enough people say it that it seems like there is at least some truth to it.

Doesn't run well when cold outside until it warms all the way up. Has low power output 1/4 or lower fuel level. Dash rattles etc just things you wouldn't expect on a car as expensive as it is.
That’s a shame these issues popped up after warranty?

That’s a shame these issues popped up after warranty?
It has 24k miles on it. The dealer has been less than helpful. They basically said keep it above 1/4 tank of fuel, they didn't hear the dash rattle and to let the car warm up completely before driving it. The advisor said its just how they are. I got it tuned trying to fix that issues but it didn't the tuner said there is open loop strategy that they cannot control that is the cause for the running issue. Who knows how true that really is but the guy did seem pretty knowledgeable.

If you are going to keep it stock, I do not think you'll have any issues unless you are constantly short-tripping it.

If you are going to tune it or take it to track/autox, there is no reason to buy an engine designed for fuel economy and efficiency rather than performance, there are better 4-cylinders available in terms of performance and tuning perspective.

Most of the issues on the WRX and STI models are likely due to the owners tuning them. Honda SI likely falls in the same category.

Turn it back to stock and don’t worry about it.
Well most the subie owners say the factory tune runs it to lean. I tuned it to try to fix the cold weather performance ...which didn't work😂😂

Well most the subie owners say the factory tune runs it to lean. I tuned it to try to fix the cold weather performance ...which didn't work😂😂
Which should show you how much they know. Those claims likely come from the tuners themselves and people simply keep repeating it. It does sell tunes though, maybe even some placebo improvements too.

I believe they do because they use a non primary oiling system
subaru oiling diagram.jpg

Back