Anyone overfill the crankcase on purpose?

*On a known oil consuming engine - not much of a big deal to be 1/2 quart or so over as it will burn down in the proper dip stick range over the next several hundred miles any way ... Always best to try to stay in the dipstick range for the "F" mark on the dip stick if possible .

The only time you would have to worry about the oil frothing to point of starvation by overfilling, would be on a track day, or motorbike due to the force of oil during turns....the only time I have ever seen this issue in person, and or seeing incidents on car shows on tv.....honestly a majority of daily drivers that were not made for track or sport this would happen to without overfilling.

Seriously rather overfill than underfill, especially if you don't prime your filter, and nothing more than 1/2 qt on extreme end. It calls for 4.7 just put in 5 you will be fine.

On initial fill, no.
On top ups yes.
My truck uses 1 qt every 1200-1500 miles. If I check it and it is more than 1/2 a qt low, I add a qt. 1/2 a qt overfill will not hurt anything and I would be adding it anyway.

I know on my car it takes 3.8qts with filter and 3.6 and I usually will use 4 or 5qts depending on what I feel like and will usually keep the spare quart of oil in the back just in case.

Originally Posted by TDOHGL01
I know on my car it takes 3.8qts with filter and 3.6 and I usually will use 4 or 5qts depending on what I feel like and will usually keep the spare quart of oil in the back just in case.

Don't put-in 5 quarts where it holds 3.8 quarts.

Reactions: FCD
I used to add .5 quart over full to the S38 in my E24 M6 on track days; it prevented my getting a low oil level warning on tracks with significant banking.

I bought a 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan V6 VVT from a Chevrolet dealer. One of the “perks” was a free oil change. While speaking with the service manager he stated that it is industry practice to “overfill” this and several other engines. The Dodge V-6 VVT in this case by 2 quarts for a total of 8.

When I did the next change myself I bought a 6 quart box of Havoline 0W-20 full synthetic. I then added 1 quart of Lucas Full Synthetic oil supplement and a bottle of STP for a total of 7.5 quarts. I’ve had no problems/issues through both oil changes. None of the classic issues of overfilling the crank case with oil emerged. Due to change oil again.

Why this is done? Other posters mention customer lack-O-maintenance. I read that the V-6 VVT engines early on had a few issues, since corrected. Oil ts the First link in the engine cooling process. I’m in the process of remote installing a diesel oil filter to the engine. Even greater capacity, and volume of flow.

I also added a similar filter to the transmission cooling line. Extra capacity (2qts) and Superior filtering.

On a case-by-case review, it could be a good idea. Anything to increase the service life of the engine and transmission.

My Camry calls for like 4.6 qts. I put in the whole jug. 0.3 qts is fine in my opinion. You're talking just over a cup of oil over fill.
Same here ... been running 5 quarts in the Camry since I got it.

on both the Sonata 2.4L DI (5.7 qt) and Forte 2.4L (5.5 qt) I round up to about 6 qts. I hate having just 1/3 of a qt left over so in it goes also figured on the 2.4L a little extra oil might not be a bad idea. ;)

I do it regularly, although i try to not go more than say 0.2 or 0.3 of a quart over.

My dad was super ocd about this, if he saw the oil was a hair above the max he would immediately loosen the oil filter off to take some oil out 😆 i tried to tell him many times that it wouldn't make any difference but to no avail.

I do it regularly, although i try to not go more than say 0.2 or 0.3 of a quart over.

My dad was super ocd about this, if he saw the oil was a hair above the max he would immediately loosen the oil filter off to take some oil out 😆 i tried to tell him many times that it wouldn't make any difference but to no avail.

Funny story. But I just did this on the last oil change. I did not do my normal 2-3 hour drain, it was only about 30 mins and I threw in the full 6qts in the forte BEFORE checking the level... and the oil level was above Full to the point it bothered me.... and well undid the oil filter 2 times, and bought its back to my OCD "correct" level......

As many have already pointed out, overfilling may be bad for your engine. Definitely a big no on most Toyotas. Filling to the FULL mark when cold is already overfilling. Over the line is asking for trouble. Hear it from the horse's mouth:

Overfilling hasn't been bad for any of my engines. What engines exactly self-destruct when overfilled? Some domestic pushrod junk?

I haven't owned or serviced an engine that cared if it was a pint over. No frothy messes or crankship whipping to worry about. No turd engines here either.

I do 200ml to 500ml over on all fleet I change oil with.Like 4.7 quart capacity I put whole jug 5 quart. The 5.5 quart I put 6 quart.They dont check their oil level as I told them to do,oh well.So far the worst I've seen is 06 honda odessy 5 quart I put in ,he fallowed 15% oil monitor I drain 2 quart the 3 quart gone it's 145k engine.

I don't like having partially filled 1 gal. containers collecting in the garage. I routinely overfill the Safari with the additional 0.5 qt.

I always have at least one partially filled 1 gal. container of Delo; single quarts are scarce at the local WM. Heck, dino Delo in any package can be hard to find there.

I do know someone that will purposely fill his Gen I, SBC a quart low. I didn't ask.

The 3.3 in the xterra calls for 3.5 qts, it gets 4 and seems happy.

FWIW when the owner's manual calls for 5 qts for your engine and the dipstick shows over or under fill which do you think could be off a little, the manual or a little metal stick? Adding a bit to get to the full mark isn't a big deal but I'd never under fill what the manual specs.

Back