Anyone overfill the crankcase on purpose?

*On a known oil consuming engine - not much of a big deal to be 1/2 quart or so over as it will burn down in the proper dip stick range over the next several hundred miles any way ... Always best to try to stay in the dipstick range for the "F" mark on the dip stick if possible .

The only time you would have to worry about the oil frothing to point of starvation by overfilling, would be on a track day, or motorbike due to the force of oil during turns....the only time I have ever seen this issue in person, and or seeing incidents on car shows on tv.....honestly a majority of daily drivers that were not made for track or sport this would happen to without overfilling. Seriously rather overfill than underfill, especially if you don't prime your filter, and nothing more than 1/2 qt on extreme end. It calls for 4.7 just put in 5 you will be fine.

blupupher

Site Donor 2021
On initial fill, no. On top ups yes. My truck uses 1 qt every 1200-1500 miles. If I check it and it is more than 1/2 a qt low, I add a qt. 1/2 a qt overfill will not hurt anything and I would be adding it anyway.

I know on my car it takes 3.8qts with filter and 3.6 and I usually will use 4 or 5qts depending on what I feel like and will usually keep the spare quart of oil in the back just in case.

Originally Posted by TDOHGL01
I know on my car it takes 3.8qts with filter and 3.6 and I usually will use 4 or 5qts depending on what I feel like and will usually keep the spare quart of oil in the back just in case.
Don't put-in 5 quarts where it holds 3.8 quarts.

I used to add .5 quart over full to the S38 in my E24 M6 on track days; it prevented my getting a low oil level warning on tracks with significant banking.