Anyone notice new M1 turning dark quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently change my Accord oil from M1 10w-30 SL to M1 5w-30 SM. I noticed it turned dark after about 1000 miles. Didn't see this before with the SL version. Wondering if anyone else has seen this. Maybe the new stuff cleans better. The engine just had an auto-rx treatment but still has some small amount of soot and varnish left. I can see this through the oil fill hole.

Hi,
I have always found that M1 (and many others like GC etc too) turn dark quite quickly. It matters little of course!

I occurs more so in some engine families than others too!

This has always been my experience with M1, before TriSynthetic and with both TriSynthetic and SuperSyn. I have not used the SM version yet - just about to!

Doug

I think this quite a normal occurence on pretty much all motor oils by 1kmi old.

My summer fill of Delo 15w40 in my 190E turned quite dark right about the same time..1K miles. Ditto on the prior fill of Synpower 10w30 during the cold months..dark by 1k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
I recently change my Accord oil from M1 10w-30 SL to M1 5w-30 SM. I noticed it turned dark after about 1000 miles. Didn't see this before with the SL version. Wondering if anyone else has seen this. Maybe the new stuff cleans better. The engine just had an auto-rx treatment but still has some small amount of soot and varnish left. I can see this through the oil fill hole.

I posted a similar experience two months ago with a 2003 Accord 2.4 ,5k intervals,and Mobil1 5w20 SM.
At that point I decided for my application Mobil1 is a waste of money and changed to Motorcraft 5w20 SM blend at 5k intervals with no problem.The engine runs great,the oil stays cleaner, and oil changes cost 50% less.

greenfordtruck

The Motorcraft has a weaker "keeping things clean" add-pack than the Mobil-1.... as shown on recent VOAs here. You might of seen premature darkening after that engine cleaning/rinse with Motorcraft too.

M1 has always turned dark a bit quicker. I believe it's a chemical reaction. Changing the oil based on color is a waste of money. Color has little to do with anything.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
M1 has always turned dark a bit quicker. I believe it's a chemical reaction. Changing the oil based on color is a waste of money. Color has little to do with anything.

Well said!

JMH

Agreeing with Buster.. Example. Comparing the oil color after checking oil level in two vehicles.. One with Valvoline Max Syn with 5k on the oil and one with brand new BMW 5w30 Synthetic in it.. they were practicly identical in color. Color is not a good indicator of oil condition but it is fun to monitor.

The last time I ran Mobil 1, it was 0w40 & yes, it turned dark very quickly in my '00 VW GTI 1.8T.

Oil analysis after 5100 miles showed virtually no engine wear.

After that, I couldn't care less how quickly the oil turns dark in my VW.

Not that it matters, but in my wife's acura with the 3.2L v6, after 4000 miles the M1 0w20 looks brand spankin' new. The car has 40k miles on it and has been on M1 since 9k miles.

On the other hand, anything you put in my bmw with the 3L inline 6 looks dark after 1000 miles. That car has 30k miles on it.

For what my opinion is worth (not much) my guess is that it depends on the car, not the oil.

I ran 0W40 M1 for the first time in my LT1 Formula recently. I only ran the oil 3,000 miles. The engine has been treated to an Auto-Rx treatment also. However, the oil seemed really black versue the M1 10W30 and 15W50 combo I was running before.

Perhaps the OW40 is further cleaning the engine out?

It's completely normal for oil to turn dark...

The dipstick sometimes may look clear but it'll be dark when you drain it..When it's on the dipstick you're looking at just a thin layer of oil so naturally it'll look more clear sometimes depending on the color of the dipstick like yellow on Toyotas...

I've never seen oil look completely clear and new after a 3,000 mile oil change...Even with synthetic.

Darkening of oil comes from a many sources. First, it is a good indicator that the dispersant systems are actively cleaning or suspending sludge and varnish. It also could be soot in diesel engines. Oxidation is another cause but occurs with more than 1 to 3K miles. Other additives also interact especially in the presence of small quantities of metals like FE, Mo, and others. The form complexes with other additives and absorb light which if all wave legnths are absorbed is black. This is chemistry. So chill. It is probably a good thing to see this occur. Look it works a lot like soap and water. Dirt and grease end up co-dissolved with the soap and then rinse out with the water. Sludge, Varnish, Soot, Acids, Metals, etc. end up suspended in the oil and rinse out with the drain. Hope this helps...
cheers.gif

My experience with several oil/filter changes with MI 0w40 and M1 5w40 t&suv is that both oils begin darkening around 1,000 miles. Oil/filter change interval is about 3,500 to 4,500 miles

Been told this is normal (and a "good thing") and may be a chemical reaction. The car is a 95 bmw 525i with 115,000 miles and runs fine

Well after reading all the posts, it appears the low mileage vehicles show clear dipsticks longer than the older models. So if your 115K engine can look like my clean engine Colorado with 11K on the odometer, then your M-1 won't be dark after only 1K.

I don't know whether my oil turns dark rapidly or not. Apparently the acidity of the engine oil in the sump for seven years dissolved the dipstick...

quote:

I posted a similar experience two months ago with a 2003 Accord 2.4 ,5k intervals,and Mobil1 5w20 SM.
At that point I decided for my application Mobil1 is a waste of money and changed to Motorcraft 5w20 SM blend at 5k intervals with no problem.The engine runs great,the oil stays cleaner, and oil changes cost 50% less.

The oil looks like it staying cleaner. But could it be that the gunk is depositing on the engine surfaces instead of staying in the oil to be drained at the next change? OMG, SLUDGE!!

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back