Anyone live in a condo or apartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends. Know someone in a condo and neighbours always complaining. My prev residence was an apartment and it was awful..neighbour below complained regularly for everything...including me taking 5 steps to bathroom at night...

I've bounced around from apartment to apartment the past few years. I used to go for a ground floor apartment but got too tired of hearing noises above me - especially when the upstairs neighbor works night shifts and vacuums their floor at 3am. Needless to say in my current place I requested to be on the top floor. I'm also pretty lucky that none of my neighbors currently have dogs or kids. I hear one of my neighbors from time to time when he's drunk and has company over but it isn't that often. My advice - if you don't mind climbing a few flights of stairs go for top floor.

Make no mistake - apartment living is never as nice as house living but when you're single it does offer you some freedom to pursue other things than cutting grass and home repair.

I've also had better luck with the more "upscale" places than the lower income places. I've lived in enough lower income apartments to write a book - loud love making, weed smoke, drunk neighbors, fighting, police visits, etc. No thanks. Once I earned a bit more money and elected to go to a nicer apartment complex I've had much better experience with the neighbors and higher quality conditions.

Go top floor - for your own sanity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I lived in a really old 1960's vintage apartment and you could murder someone and no one would know...
45.gif

Thats much better than hearing a couple trying to conceive a child...

For sure... Unless you like to embarrass them and try to make more noise than them.
lol.gif

Lol funny you mention that.

My GF and I had an apt several years ago, and there was this really cute neighbor of ours who I'd often ride the bus with. We'd chat and kinda flirt a little with each other, but it was completely innocent. We lived directly next door to each other and one evening my significant other and I were "at it". We weren't noisy at all (to me at least).

The following evening, I could distinctly hear that cute neighbor and her partner attempting to "out do" our previous nights performance.
smirk.gif

I had neighbors who were swingers...on the weekends their kids were with her ex, they would have 2 or three other couples over and go all night long. I mean literally all night long...I would be getting ready for work and they were still over there playing.

It was funny once, after awhile it got really old.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I looked at one and I'm curious as to how much noise you can make. If I start singing are the neighbors going to hear?

Depends on the quality of the building construction. I have never heard any of my neighbours, and have been there for five years now. It is modern concrete construction, with four layers of drywall between units (two layers of drywall on each side with studs and insulation between) The only thing I hear is if someone is in the hallway talking loudly, but never from another unit.

If the building is wood construction, you will hear EVERYTHING.

Apartments suck. Around here many of them go from $800-1300 for a one room. F that.

A lot of my friends rent houses. One of them rents a house with his brother. They split the 1100 a month rent. The house has two bedrooms, bathroom, refinished basement, a one car garage, decent sized yard, etc. The landlord even knocks off $100 when they take care of the snow so he doesn't have to do it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I looked at one and I'm curious as to how much noise you can make. If I start singing are the neighbors going to hear?

There are many variable's in that. I would suggest if they can, and complain about it, that you cease and desist. Otherwise, they too may start singing and you may not like the way they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back