anyone knowledgable about old stereo equip?

My cousin has a Sansui QA 7000 that he is thinking of selling. it used to be his dads. We were trying to figure out a price for it and were astonished on the value of it. $700 to $1500 seems to be the range they sell for according to condition.

So why are these things worth so much. is there something special about them? where is a good place to sell it?

These things were well built in this era. They can be repaired and are worth repairing. I had a similar JVC unit and the Quadraphonic sound was awesome. There just weren’t many records recorded in Quad sound. Best one I had was Santana’s Abraxis. Good place to sell is Audiogon.

That is a beauty. I have a 1975 Marantz receiver and imagine it has many of the same qualities as the Sansui. Excellent FM tuner (way better than my digital receiver), great sound, and great build quality.

They need a good going over at this age, but like a well built old car, worth restoring.

You can sell it on eBay, craigslist, or the more specialized sites like audiogon, or usaudiomart (canuckaudiomart in Canada). If you are in a less populated area, craigslist will be less productive.

Note: Large cities will have record shops and some buy and sell vintage audio equipment, too, like Used Kids Records in Columbus, OH.

Old quailty audio receivers tend to sound warm while new ones sound bright unless you get well over the $1K range.
What most people want today is features galore. You can buy new audio equipment that will sound better than anything from yesteryear, just don't expect it from a new $500 receiver vs a receiver that sold for $500 new in 1980.

What ROYALLY SUCKS is much of todays music is processed with too much dynamic range compression. Don't confuse it with audio data compression.

So if you have the best old Pioneer receiver and a Technics record player from 40 years ago, playing a Taylor Swift LP will sound like crap compared to playing an old Joni Mitchell LP.

I like todays music, but the emphasis on sound quailty is lacking compared to decades ago.

For that price you could purchase a very decent receiver. While I always appreciate the nostalgia around pieces like this, I just don't get the hype. I have restored several old pieces, but I only run modern stuff in my main listening/theater room. The old stuff was good for what it was...but the new stuff is really better now.

Note: Large cities will have record shops and some buy and sell vintage audio equipment, too, like Used Kids Records in Columbus, OH.

Old quailty audio receivers tend to sound warm while new ones sound bright unless you get well over the $1K range.
What most people want today is features galore. You can buy new audio equipment that will sound better than anything from yesteryear, just don't expect it from a new $500 receiver vs a receiver that sold for $500 new in 1980.

What ROYALLY SUCKS is much of todays music is processed with too much dynamic range compression. Don't confuse it with audio data compression.

So if you have the best old Pioneer receiver and a Technics record player from 40 years ago, playing a Taylor Swift LP will sound like crap compared to playing an old Joni Mitchell LP.

I like todays music, but the emphasis on sound quailty is lacking compared to decades ago.

Nearly all POP music today sounds like crap on a decent system...it is all recorded for being played on MP3, over Bluetooth, into a crappy portable speaker.

I think part of it would be the novelty of a quadraphonic amp. The value would depend on the working condition.

dhdHJf0QLjxPpW0BwR7AgI31LIEhS4oKi84dq1Qb8kfJbIYDDv1_jM-n53zFWEoEhi4rRlsSPf_7EA-utyH0o5KNnrDUNkRfQsaIu7xDyk2vo8IkTT2qBDc

It's got a lot of electrolytic capacitors (especially the big ones), so it might be worth checking it over to make sure that they're all intact. Even if they look intact, they could be dried out. Also the row of fuses. If a fuse blows it could be due to some other problem, so just replacing one might not do the trick without fixing the source problem.

I rebuild vintage (tube type - 'thermatron') Amateur transmitters and receivers because they have more chassis room in which to work and the receivers have an audio quality unmatched by any of my Solid State equipment.

As for price of the above, the selling price will be higher if the internals have been updated and it is fully functional. The fact that it is a Quadraphonic unit brings a certain amount of novelty to it, raising the price.

An offering for an upgraded, functional unit might start at $500.00.

thnaks for the info. i am going to go over to his house and take a look at it and some pix.

Relative had a ZENITH with quadrophic sound . Sat in middle of the speakers placed on the floor and was 😲 . Played " Whole Lotta Love " by LED ZEPPELIN .

I have a Sansui QRX-7200 quad receiver that I picked up curbside a few years back. Since it was tossed out by someone presumably it doesn't work but I've never gotten around to checking it out. That thing is BIG and HEAVY.

My main stereo at home is based around a Sansui stereo receiver that I purchased new in the mid-1970s. It still works well but does have a slight hum so could probably use new power supply capacitors. Yes, a modern unit no doubt has better specs but at my age I probably would not hear much of a difference.

Back