1988 Monte Carlo LS

So you're trying to say that because over the last 40 years, some progress has been made (and very easily arguable that lots of regression has been made too) that these 40 year old cars were complete junk? Despite the fact that they can still be used reliably after 40 years? I don't think I'm going to be able to understand you.
The reality is that there are relatively few on the road from those two decades. I understand I stepped on the sacred cows of beaters with my comments. But I did state facts-not personal views in regards to engineering. Reread my post.
And I forgot to mention they are inherently safer. I not defending anything I said. It's all facts.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a 1988 Monte Carlo LS with the 3.8 V-6 and a column shift auto, did not see that combo that much. Smooth, peppy cruiser of a car, they are not made like this anymore!

A friend of mine is selling his 88 Monte Carlo LS. It is a V8, with I think he told me, 120k miles on it. It has been garage kept it's entire life. Thing is he hasn't driven it in probably 5 years so not sure what condition the fuel system is like. I have searched online but only finding SS models for sale. I know it isn't anything special but would make a great sleeper with a nice built LS engine installed. I don't know anything else about it at the moment. He is getting up in age and is trying to clean out so his daughter doesn't have to. Thanks
That is likely the one called Luxury Sport which (they were pretty nice) even not being the SS. Most came loaded. By that time I am pretty sure had one engine option - the 305HO fuel injection engines that jumped from 180 hp to 230 hp in 1987 when tuned port fuel injection replaced the carbs. Those were basically trouble free , very good road handling , comfortable fast drivers at the time. The last years produced of the Gen IV Monte Carlos. We had a pearl white 86 SS stolen twice before replacing it with the 86 LS. Garage kept should make it rust free. Chevy even offered Rust Coating options back then thru local companies. Both of ours had it done.

Last edited:
Yeah, just read my post. Was wondering what it would be worth. From JDPowers site looks like around $5k, $8K if in mint condition.
I think you're low. Add 40% to what you want and put an ad in Hemmings.

The reality is that there are relatively few on the road from those two decades. I understand I stepped on the sacred cows of beaters with my comments. But I did state facts-not personal views in regards to engineering. Reread my post.
And I forgot to mention they are inherently safer. I not defending anything I said. It's all facts.

To be fair, it's a rare sight to see any car from this era on the road from any manufacturer, they all just got used up or wrecked.

The worst part that I remember from cars of this era were all the vacuum lines and the feedback carbs. FI solved a lot of those issues.

That is likely the one called Luxury Sport which (they were pretty nice) even not being the SS. Most came loaded. By that time I am pretty sure had one engine option - the 305HO fuel injection engines that jumped from 180 hp to 230 hp in 1987 when tuned port fuel injection replaced the carbs. Those were basically trouble free , very good road handling , comfortable fast drivers at the time. The last years produced of the Gen IV Monte Carlos. We had a pearl white 86 SS stolen twice before replacing it with the 86 LS. Garage kept should make it rust free. Chevy even offered Rust Coating options back then thru local companies. Both of ours had it done.

I don't want people confused. I'm pretty sure Chevy didn't offer a V8 Monte Carlo with tuned port fuel injection or throttle body fuel injection of that era.

To be fair, it's a rare sight to see any car from this era on the road from any manufacturer, they all just got used up or wrecked.

The worst part that I remember from cars of this era were all the vacuum lines and the feedback carbs. FI solved a lot of those issues.
Yes-and the carbs either worked or they didn't. You either had a relatively smooth idle-or they ran like a lumber truck. It was really nice when a "float stuck" and gasoline would pour on to the top of the engine block.
Great feats of engineering.

I don't want people confused. I'm pretty sure Chevy didn't offer a V8 Monte Carlo with tuned port fuel injection or throttle body fuel injection of that era.

Thanks.... Sorry. I was confused. The 305 TPI engine was used in other GMC vehicles , late 80s thru early 90s.

My two 1986s Montes had 4MV barrel carbs and I thought between 87 & 88 they went TPI. The Monte Carlos apparently did not come with factory TPI engines like many I have seen at car shows. Surprises me. Lots of Chevy guys must be converting them these days.
TPI was used in Camaro, Trans Am, Firebirds and Corvettes though.

So right, FI is so painless these days and get better all the time. Lots of folks dont know these days the headaches carbs could be.
Just stick the key in and go...... now.
I was amazed when I learned years ago that Chevy had a Rochester FI set up they sold in 1957 BelAir and a version of the Corvette that was called the RamJet. Word was they worked fantastic but expensive and not enough people bought them back then and not many were trained to work on them. So it took decades for FI to make it to us. Probably pushed by the EPA emissions controls I would guess. Lucky us though.

Nice car. Had an 85 Monte and an 86 Grand Prix. The Monte had a 403 Olds and was built like brick pretty stout. Probably somewhere around 275-300 HP. Kid I sold it to somehow blew it up a week after I sold it, and I have no idea how as I drove it like I stole it. The Grand Prix was another story. I traded an old slap worn out Hi Power for it. Guy thought he was getting something special but it was really just a beat up raggedy old gun. I thought I was getting a nice project car to replace the Monte Carlo, but found out it had a bent frame....

Nice car. Had an 85 Monte and an 86 Grand Prix. The Monte had a 403 Olds and was built like brick pretty stout. Probably somewhere around 275-300 HP. Kid I sold it to somehow blew it up a week after I sold it, and I have no idea how as I drove it like I stole it. The Grand Prix was another story. I traded an old slap worn out Hi Power for it. Guy thought he was getting something special but it was really just a beat up raggedy old gun. I thought I was getting a nice project car to replace the Monte Carlo, but found out it had a bent frame....
I had a deal made on a new 86 Gran Prix and went to pick it up and when they added a bunch of extra charges I walked away and right into buying the Monte Carlo SS. Those were pretty good riding cars for the times. The 80s MonteCarlos are very popular in the collector car world with lots of them showing up at car shows and for sale all over internet. Parts supply industry has every thing anyone needs to restore or improve one these days.

I have seen a few non-SS, non-Hurst Old's '78-'87(pre GM10), decently equipped Monte Carlo's, GrandPrix's & Cutlas' at car shows this past summer('23).
Fix that baby up and show us some pic's! :)(y) As much as I like the Monte SS, I think that I like even more, the LS w/Landau Top, chrome trim, wire wheel covers and velour interior. There, I said it!:cool:

Last edited:
Well I'm still not sure what your point is? Nobody is cross shopping these with modern cars. You basically just joined in to say these cars were crap. Which is a false statement IMO.

CKN isn't an auto enthusiast like many of us. He's more like the stereotypical soccer mom, where the vehicle is simply an A-B appliance, a tool to get a job done. To him, vehicles are as exciting as your Kenmore washing machine, which he'd be happy to let you know is lightyears ahead of your mom's 1983 model Speed Queen that she still won't let go of.

I have seen a few non-SS, non-Hurst Old's '78-'87(pre GM10), decently equipped Monte Carlo's, GrandPrix's & Cutlas' at car shows this past summer('23).
Fix that baby up and show us some pic's! :)(y) As much as I like the Monte SS, I think that I like even more, the LS w/Landau Top, chrome trim, wire wheel covers and velour interior. There, I said it!:cool:
As a former owner of two of the IV Gen Monte Carlos I am really surprised at the number of them I keep seeing on internet with very low miles and in great shape people are now offering for sale. Dont even talk about the Gen Vs still out there. Someone could get a virtual "new car" in that age group. Gen IVs did not see a lot of time in NASCAR. With the Gen Vs success in NASCAR and with the late Dale Earnhardt's promotion of that black #3 winning so many races the cars gained a big following. My favorite of all times and dream Monte would be Gen I with the turbo-fire 454 that started it all in 1970 and also saw limited NASCAR track time.

CKN isn't an auto enthusiast like many of us. He's more like the stereotypical soccer mom, where the vehicle is simply an A-B appliance, a tool to get a job done. To him, vehicles are as exciting as your Kenmore washing machine, which he'd be happy to let you know is lightyears ahead of your mom's 1983 model Speed Queen that she still won't let go of.
A stereotypical consumer that enjoys purchasing new things frequently, which will not last as long as the machine that it replaced.

Whether or not it will last longer isn't the point. Nor is it if it's faster, slower, safer, better looking, etc. An enthusiast isn't always logical about whatever it is they are enthusiastic about. Nor do they need to be. What floats their boat is internal to them. CKN doesn't understand that being an enthusiast isn't like mathematics, where there's only one universally accepted (correct) answer.

Whether or not it will last longer isn't the point. Nor is it if it's faster, slower, safer, better looking, etc. An enthusiast isn't always logical about whatever it is they are enthusiastic about. Nor do they need to be. What floats their boat is internal to them. CKN doesn't understand that being an enthusiast isn't like mathematics, where there's only one universally accepted (correct) answer.
Have to wonder how people like that end up in discussions like this one? I don't tend to join in on discussions about things I don't care about.

CKN is entitled to their opinion as anyone else is. You can disagree and move on. I'm sure there are certain vehicles we can't stand, even being an enthusiast, this one just happens to be theirs. Ever seen a GM SSR 😂.

Have to wonder how people like that end up in discussions like this one? I don't tend to join in on discussions about things I don't care about.
I am picturing him on, say, a home cooking forum, complaining about threads every time someone does a deep dive into various recipes and ingredient lists. Or on a crafting and woodworking forum, mocking the members who build their own furniture vs. buying it at Ikea.

Back