Anyone in Northeast Florida? Think about moving there, until reading about the Alligators, How bad?

Did anyone ever answer your question about swimming in fresh water lakes/rivers in Florida? I'm curious, because, I've vacationed in Florida probably 20 times in my life, and when I've been inland I've never seen anyone swimming in freshwater. I assumed it was because of the alligator danger. I would guess that if swimming off of your boat is important to you that Florida is not the place to be.

Did anyone ever answer your question about swimming in fresh water lakes/rivers in Florida? I'm curious, because, I've vacationed in Florida probably 20 times in my life, and when I've been inland I've never seen anyone swimming in freshwater. I assumed it was because of the alligator danger. I would guess that if swimming off of your boat is important to you that Florida is not the place to be.
Same!

What I've experienced is you rarely see anyone outside in general aside from the hired help.

We've airbnb'd homes while on vacation there further south 3-4x, been to disney 4x, etc.

The last one was in the Cape Coral area. Super nice neighborhood. Every house right on a service canal. Most homes with screened in pools. Rarely anyone out other than us rust-belters. LOL

I lived in FL some 20 years ago, and I swam in fresh water lakes there. But in hindsight, it was probably not the smartest thing to do. :)

I love Ocala and Marion County. We often fished on Lake Weir south of Ocala. What a beautiful place. Yeah, there are sink holes around. That doesn’t bother me either. Lake City is another beautiful part of Florida.
Thanks...back in the late 80's I had two great building lots in Ocala with the rolling hills and old oak trees.
The ground is like here in MD.

But the town in the day was a bit grubby you know...a strip of pawn shops but i haven't been back since say 1995..

I met a great friend that worked for Armstrong homes and she was older than me but just a friend and we kept in touch for years and later I heard she died of breast cancer. She was a wonderful person indeed.
Marilyn was her name.

Back in the 80's central Florida was frowned upon for the heat...you know as far as the crow flies saying.

But lots then cost more than the coast... I hear it is built up in Ocala now????.

On those sink holes you can get your lot tested to see if it is an issue.
Thanks for the information.

I hear it is built up in Ocala now????.
My daughter and grand daughters moved there this spring. While the county has doubled in population over the past few decades, Ocala is still less than 65,000 population, so not too big. Lots of those "horse people" around there and it is home of the World Equestrian Center.

I do love Florida, but Jax is trending down badly. Wife is a Jax native, and she won't go back. PM me if you want the reasons why.

I like storms!
You may like storms but do you like being without electricity for weeks in the sweltering heat? Or having all of your food spoil from no refrigeration or searching for gas when the stations can't pump without power? The storm is over fairly quickly but the aftermath can last weeks. And trust me, living through a Cat 3, 4, or 5 will make you change your mind about liking storms. Said by someone who has lived through many during his 73 years in Florida.

Dude😜
I forgot to tell you my ex fiancée is right in that area. That is a creature you should fear...forget the Bigfoot sightings in Palm Coast after the twisters... She is what legends are made of. I got caught in a Nissan Rogue for 3 hours with her with the doors locked in a remote are of Florida near Daytona...
That day I dreamed of being killed by wild animals to escape that horror..😂😂😂
I saw this early AM. At Mcdonald's and it triggered me. I ran to my safe place for a timeout...😳😳

20220602_073140_HDR.jpg

You will never get over your fear. My dad and I have boated for decades, mostly in MD. He moved down to FL and could NOT get over his fear of gators and sold his boat within a year or so. I NEVER would have bet on that, no matter the odds.

I saw Jaws way too young. I‘ll tell you that I was VERY hesitant to dip into any murky waters for a few years afterward. I didn’t get over my fear until one day when we ran aground in a sail boat and I had to jump in and help push.

In the end I’m like my dad and would not be able to enjoy FL waters nearly as much as MD inlets, rivers and the Bay. I wouldn‘t STOP boating but I’l wouldn’t feel comfortable swimming like the OP and I was used to, either.

Oh I hate those but I guess one of those unavoidable things living down there or along the warmer coastal states like even here in SC.
A house i stayed at had some outside but none inside and a exterminator came out while I was there. But I read they are like mice..crap all the time...gross.

Of course new construction has built in protection for termites..
which is great.

You will never get over your fear. My dad and I have boated for decades, mostly in MD. He moved down to FL and could NOT get over his fear of gators and sold his boat within a year or so. I NEVER would have bet on that, no matter the odds.

I saw Jaws way too young. I‘ll tell you that I was VERY hesitant to dip into any murky waters for a few years afterward. I didn’t get over my fear until one day when we ran aground in a sail boat and I had to jump in and help push.

In the end I’m like my dad and would not be able to enjoy FL waters nearly as much as MD inlets, rivers and the Bay. I wouldn‘t STOP boating but I’l wouldn’t feel comfortable swimming like the OP and I was used to, either.
Yeah, that could be me too. Gators dont like salt water so not as concerned there, though they sometimes gets washed out of the brackish freshwater areas by storms.
Sharks, yup, so once I am in the inlets or firmly salt water bays, now ZEE09 tells me I have to be concerned about the 3rd most aggressive shark in the world, Bull Sharks *LOL* thanks Zee09!

I boated my whole life, I guess like you, the waters off Long Island, most always Great South Bay (as a kids my dad would take us out on the island in the LI sound but anyway South Shore Long Island mostly = Jones Inlet. in fact we used to go out Jones Inlet and to Fireland inlet to meet up with friends, instead of taking the state channel which is slower speeds. Anyway, the Long Island waters outside the inlets so crisp and clean I would always have to stop the boat to jump in, but before I did I set my depth finder in a range that if sharks came along it would alarm! *LOL*

Anyway, I know that in a forum and the media to many who grew up in Florida some who will say its mostly hogwash being over concerned and I think that will be true but like your dad, not sure if I personally can get over it because we were raised and grew up in a different enviroment.

I guess like your dad I would have to live it first and because of some of these posts I think I will look more towards the bay areas rather than lakes but whatever, may look on the coast of SC instead, have two communities to check out there as well, even though we will be in Florida this month looking around.

Im not in a rush but we are at the point of either move or spend money making our still impeccable home "new" again, but that I mean replace all systems and appliances before any fail, along with the roof and pretend this home is new.
Im not as concerned too much, though I wish it was a little less at the price escalation in Florida because seeing the sales price and time on market in my area is blowing me away, so its a wash.

A house i stayed at had some outside but none inside and a exterminator came out while I was there. But I read they are like mice..crap all the time...gross.

Of course new construction has built in protection for termites..
which is great.
Yeah they are gross, rarely but does happen once in a while a few make it up to the middle of the state in the summer where we are but thankfully the winters are too cold for them here, so they are either exterminated or just disappear.

Back