Anyone here have a steam oven?

I'm having a new home built and my wife chose to have a built in wall steam oven. Anyone familiar with them and the results they give?

To the OP: I'm aware of them but have no direct experience. I just learned that they can be used to cook many things, not just bake bread.

On the bread front: I agree with Vil_Riker that adding water yourself - I use ice cubes - doesn't give the best results. When I want a good crust, I use a recipe with a wetter dough and bake in a Dutch oven.

Years ago a coworker ran a VCR from his brother who was, at the time, in the food business.
It was a "product line summation" from a steam oven company.
None of us had ever heard of steam ovens either.
My cowo said, "Ever see those pound top round roast beefs in the deli sporting the characteristic browned dome? That's how they do it."
I remember seeing the drain from the oven pouring condensed steam (duh) into a sink.
Since I'm forever wounded by growing up during the very real '60's water shortages (playing in dried reservoirs for example) I concluded that steam cooking was inexcusably wasteful of water.

I'm over it now......no I'm not.

Seriously, my only input is to ask:
a) Is some kind of steam generator necessary -essentially another appliance- and does your water supply jibe with such. Will it need periodic cleaning with citric acid? Will the heating elements become unobtainable? If nothing else, it'll be an additional, periodic maintenance item.

b) Do they even come in household sizes?

c) Do these units have heating elements too? I can't see the top browning being done by steam

d) Will it get used? Kitchen real estate is too valuable to waste. May I suggest a parts washer instead?

Years ago a coworker ran a VCR from his brother who was, at the time, in the food business.
It was a "product line summation" from a steam oven company.
None of us had ever heard of steam ovens either.
My cowo said, "Ever see those pound top round roast beefs in the deli sporting the characteristic browned dome? That's how they do it."
I remember seeing the drain from the oven pouring condensed steam (duh) into a sink.
Since I'm forever wounded by growing up during the very real '60's water shortages (playing in dried reservoirs for example) I concluded that steam cooking was inexcusably wasteful of water.

I'm over it now......no I'm not.

Seriously, my only input is to ask:
a) Is some kind of steam generator necessary -essentially another appliance- and does your water supply jibe with such. Will it need periodic cleaning with citric acid? Will the heating elements become unobtainable? If nothing else, it'll be an additional, periodic maintenance item.

b) Do they even come in household sizes?

c) Do these units have heating elements too? I can't see the top browning being done by steam

d) Will it get used? Kitchen real estate is too valuable to waste. May I suggest a parts washer instead?
Now thats funny!

I know the Frigidaire range my folks recently bought has a "steam clean" feature... that iirc involves putting a pan of water inside before hitting that button....

it also has a convection setting that for some reason Frigidaire calls "quick bake"

Back