Steam Cleaners Around The House

Does anyone use a Steam Cleaner around the house ? I know they were all the rage a few years back because they use water and were chemical free and easy to use . If so ..... do you like it and what kind do you recommend ?

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 14-45-33 Handheld Steam Cleaners.jpg

I've never seen one used before.
Are they just a gimmick? .... I don't know.
Like everything, check out on YouTube.
Might be nice for cleaning an engine compartment.

For cleaning in the house, what I like using is -
microfiber towels
vinegar spray .... mixed 1-part vinegar & 32-part water.

I have the Wagner steam cleaner and am less than impressed with these non-commercial grade steam cleaners. They appear to provide hot steam cleaning power, but in reality, it is all show and no go. The steam comes out of the nozzle at about 170 degrees F, but the heat dissipates so quickly that it is barely warm to the touch at 3 inches away from the tip of the nozzle.
1701101114725.jpg

Basically, all of the cleaning action is due to the scrubbing action of the bristle brush, not the steam vapor. Very similar to a Vape pen where the "smoke" looks intense in the immediate area, but quickly disappears in a few seconds. I purchased the Wagner unit to degrease underhood oil stains on an engine...a complete waste of time and money! You would need a $1500+ commercial steam cleaner to generate the high temperature/pressure steam necessary to accomplish that goal.

Last edited:
I have the Wagner steam cleaner .....
Frankly every Wagner item I have owned is a joke, then it dies.

Yeah the Bissell above looks like a real joke.

I own a McColloch and I don't think it's a gimmick. Steam sprays hot and good (with some pressure) from the micro tip. Absolutely great for crack cleaning, grout cleaning before sanitizing. I think the wide wand with long tube is kinda hokey (no pressure, just pretty hot vapor) but does do a good job on the kitchen tile with no chemicals.

REAL Drawbacks? Getting it out of the garage, filling, waiting to build a nice head of steam, then cool down and emptying. A bit of a bother. We used it best to absolutely sparkle our house when we sold. Not one dark piece of dirt anywhere. Our has survived the wife putting tap water in it! She figured out distilled/RO only. If you don't want that hassle, then yeah don't waste the $

I have a McCulloch and use it to clean my cat’s litter box once a month. At the same time I use to clean the vinyl floors in the kitchen and bathroom with the mop head attachment.

My grandma has a steam cleaner, it does a good job loosening the dirt off of grout and other things but it leaves the dirt behind as mud. So after you use the steam cleaner you have to wipe up the muddy water residue

Back