Old light switches

I replaced these old GE light switches at a house a few days ago. Never seen this type before. House was built in 1955.

The odd thing is they have continuity in both the on and off positions . Both of them . They works as usual when they were in the house.

Can anyone tell me when these were use ? Why do the have continuity

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_133942_696.jpg
    IMG_20231004_133942_696.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 108
Those may be silent switches. They open and close the circuit by having liquid mercury move in a capsule. They only work when mounted upright so that gravity moves the mercury to the right place. Notice that UP is marked on what should be the top end.
Do not throw them in the trash. They need to be taken to a place that accepts mercury-containing devices for proper disposal.

winner winner chicken dinner. never encountered these before . reading up on them, they seem to last forever

Mercury switches are very reliable, as the contacts don't oxidize (or they shouldn't) . I don't know if they have any value today, but I'm sure there are applications where 100% reliability is a factor. Maybe in areas where corrosion is a factor.

My parents had a new house built in 1963 and these were installed throughout. They had a nice orange glow at night so you could find the switch in the dark.

Funny we are talking about switched. I just had one smolder this past weekend at work. Luckily it didn't start a fire. Just set off the smoke detectors and fire department payed us a visit. The switch looked kind of old. I am in the process of replacing all the switches in the building. Only 41 to go.

Those may be silent switches. They open and close the circuit by having liquid mercury move in a capsule. They only work when mounted upright so that gravity moves the mercury to the right place. Notice that UP is marked on what should be the top end.
Do not throw them in the trash. They need to be taken to a place that accepts mercury-containing devices for proper disposal.
I need that mercury for my gold prospecting.

I've also seen these used in older labs because they don't spark like a conventional switch.

At a previous place of employment we had a shed-or more properly a bunker(poured reinforced concrete, entirely underground aside from the door) specifically for bulk storage of flammable solvents. It had a massive mercury light switch for the same reason.

Some older thermostats used the same construction of mercury "tube" as a switch, although a bit differently. The glass/mercury tube would be mounted at the end of a bimetallic coil which would move as the temperature changed and switch the furnace/AC on or off based on this. If you opened an older Honeywell round thermostat, you'd more than likely find one.

Last edited:
My parents had a new house built in 1963 and these were installed throughout. They had a nice orange glow at night so you could find the switch in the dark.

Probably some radium mixed in with the plastic toggle.

I have a house with switches that have a tiny light that also serves that purpose. They do come in handy at night.

Our house is from 1927 and most of the light switches are like that. I didn't realize they were mercury but it makes sense, they don't click or anything when thrown. And many of the electric outlets are the old two-prong type..... We've upgraded maybe half of them.

Probably shouldn't throw them in the trash. I would imagine that they need to be recycled with other mercury-containing items, like batteries.

I've also seen these used in older labs because they don't spark like a conventional switch.

At a previous place of employment we had a shed-or more properly a bunker(poured reinforced concrete, entirely underground aside from the door) specifically for bulk storage of flammable solvents. It had a massive mercury light switch for the same reason.

Some older thermostats used the same construction of mercury "tube" as a switch, although a bit differently. The glass/mercury tube would be mounted at the end of a bimetallic coil which would move as the temperature changed and switch the furnace/AC on or off based on this. If you opened an older Honeywell round thermostat, you'd more than likely find one.
Mercury switches are still made but not too common.

Ever see or use a mercury diffusion pump? We had a couple when I was in college.

Mercury switches are still made but not too common.

Ever see or use a mercury diffusion pump? We had a couple when I was in college.

I had a mercury diffusion pump sitting on the shelf in my office at my last job until EHS came after me about the amount of mercury I had sitting on my office shelf of things I'd "saved". I managed to keep the high precision calorimetry thermometer(with a bulb the size of my thumb), a McLeod gauge, and a nice old manometer. I had a case for keeping the manometer and McLeod, and even though I never used the thermometer I pointed out that it was at least sealed and also the replacement cost.

My mass spectrometer has an oil diffusion pump on it, which of course works the same as mercury but uses a hideously expensive ester based oil. They are nice in that they "just work" other than an oil change every decade or two(not joking about that-and I probably should change mine even though it looked clean the last time I checked it) and basically only have two parts that can fail-the heater and the temperature sensor. They're also a pain in that they give a lot of background, plus can backstream into the mass spec and make a gigantic mess if you inadvertently break vacuum(even a little bit...) while the pump is still hot. You can also of course char the oil if you let oxygen in, although the ester oils are MUCH more tolerant of this than older silicone oils. I think the current gen Agilents put a Peltier cooler between the diff pump and the vac manifold to both hold down the background and to catch some backstreaming. I think there's also a baffle somewhere in there that can be closed, but I forget exactly how that works(or maybe that was something Varian did...). The diffusion pump also takes a long time to pump down-Agilent optimistically claims 45 minutes, but real world experience tells me that at best if I pump down in the morning I MIGHT get a relatively clean tune before I leave for the day, but I probably need to let it sit overnight. The same instrument with a turbo pump will pump down in 15 minutes at most and most will tune well in ~4 hours. I had a Varian Triple Quad(300TQ) at a previous job with a vac manifold about 4x the size of the little Agilent single quads, and it would manage 4 hours also(and given me an ultimate vacuum of 10^-7 torr at typical GC flow rates provided I was dumping a bunch of methane in for chemical ionization and/or argon for CID).

My current mass spec is 2 or 3 generations old now and is branded Hewlett Packard, but at least it's new enough that Agilent does still provide some limited tech support on them and were even still selling refurbs until a few years ago.

I think in the mass spec world, unless there's someone I'm not aware of, Agilent is the only company that even offers diffusion pumps anymore. They're definitely a budget option, and it doesn't help that in the interest of size and noise they basically put the smallest foreline pump they can get away with. That doesn't help either because the tiny little foreline pumps run super hot and give you high oil backgrounds also. In the past, I'd swap out the tiny little pumps for an Edwards E2M2 or RV3(or my old favorite, a Varian DS102) and get an order of magnitude improvement in high vac pressures along with typically a 5x-50x improvement in LODs(depending on the specific instrument and of course sample specific) on diffusion pumps thanks to the lower background from the vacuum system.

Fun stuff...I don't get to do nearly as much mass spec work as I use to. We just have the one GC-MS where I am now, which I did resurrect from the dead(really-it was in pieces when I came here, and I ended up having to take things apart that the maintenance manuals tell you to absolutely never do under any circumstances) but it doesn't get much use now.

We did once fire up one of the pumps we had just to see it work. Kind of odd to pour that volume of mercury into a thin-walled glass apparatus and then watch it boil under vacuum. Both of them were works of art on the inside with multiple layers and assemblies. With good trapping they were capable of creating very low pressures.

Back