LED lighting. Preferred color temp.

The first gen consumer led bulns were great; big heat sinks and, except for infant mortality, very, very long lived. Frustratingly, your new ones won't be....

We had 2700k in our kitchen, but after changing the cabinets to grey, went to GE Refresh 5000k, bright and just shy of harsh.

Depends on the design. Most Edison-base bulbs are designed with a compact array that more or less spreads out, but from a central point. That can clearly get hot. I’ve had a few fail and clearly they had no heat sink as that would have cost more than I paid for it. Newer designs in fixtures avoid concentrating the LEDs. The fixtures I previously mentioned had a checkerboard pattern. I took apart a failing direct wire fluorescent tube replacement (replaced under warranty) and found that the the lights were really just a strip of LEDs. The electronics were solid, but the problem was mechanical, where the contact from the pins to the power supply was marginal. They kind of spun around and the pins didn’t make good contact with the socket.

I remember a few years back there was a company called iWatt whose primary product was a digital LED light controller. I wasn’t sure exactly what their value proposition was as they were extremely expensive parts. They were supposed to provide maximum efficiency and life, but’s it’s hard to compete with dollar store prices. I think one of their claims was that with their control, a heat sink wasn’t necessary.

Recently had to replace a few early LED "bulbs" that were first on the market types. All had only the soft white color of 2700K. The new ones I replaced them with are all 5000K "daylight" color rendering. Most were watt for watt equivalents, but seem brighter. Even had my son commented (he doesn't notice ANYTHING :rolleyes:) that they were brighter. All in how the eye perceives light, but as I've gotten older, the "whiter" lights seem to illuminate things more clearly and cause less eye strain. Probably just the opposite since the waves are more toward the blue end of the spectrum and that usually induces MORE eye strain. Oh well, I can see better with them vs. old T.E. style color.
I'm the same way. All the LED bulbs that I buy are the 5000K Daylight type. They seem to be much brighter.

Recently had to replace a few early LED "bulbs" that were first on the market types. All had only the soft white color of 2700K. The new ones I replaced them with are all 5000K "daylight" color rendering. Most were watt for watt equivalents, but seem brighter. Even had my son commented (he doesn't notice ANYTHING :rolleyes:) that they were brighter. All in how the eye perceives light, but as I've gotten older, the "whiter" lights seem to illuminate things more clearly and cause less eye strain. Probably just the opposite since the waves are more toward the blue end of the spectrum and that usually induces MORE eye strain. Oh well, I can see better with them vs. old T.E. style color.
5000k is supposed to be "sunshine" and a neutral white. I miss the GE fluorescent bulbs as they had a large spectrum of Kelvin temps. Everything from 2700k to 3300 which were the the ones that were supposedly better for reading. Then 4100k which is what most hid bulbs are 5000k and a slightly blueish 6500k which is real daylight.

We like 5000K bulbs in our house.
Same. Although for lamps, we have 2700k/3000k since that’s better for relaxing IMO. But I love 5000k for general lighting. We have a lot of windows in our house, and there have been times where I genuinely couldn’t tell if our lights were on or not because they match the actual daylight coming in so closely. A high CRI 5000k bulb is a wonderful thing.

FWIW, yes I know that ~6500K is actually technically daylight, but I feel that the way LEDs produce light 5000k seems much closer when observed.

I hope no one is using 5000K in their bedrooms! But if so, I guess an asylum aesthetic is appropriate for you lunatics.

I go with 3000K max for living spaces and 4000-5000K for utility areas. I use Philips Ultra Definition bulbs wherever possible. They are incredible with a CRI similar to incandescents.

Why? Do you sleep with the lights on?
I'm sure he is alluding to the color being closer to natural sunlight with more blue spectrum, and giving a more "sterile" appearance vs the more relaxing and "warmer" color of 2700K, which seems to be more appropriate for some in a bedroom area. However, for sleep it doesn't really matter. All LEDs emit high blue spectrum light because of how they produce light overall. Even that video explains the blue "spike" in the spectrum curve of LEDs. So if we are talking about blue light, and how it effects our circadian rhythm or sleep patterns, ya better get rid of all computer screens, smartphones, TVs, florescent lights and LEDs. Now, if you're more masochistic, and just have to have your smartphone handy at all times, there are melatonin supplements to counter the blue light invasion and "restore" your circadian rhythm while still watching TikTok, or playing Candy Crush in bed.

Back