What are your Thanksgiving day plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Vegas and a local friend invited me to Wednesday night Thanksgiving along with a bunch of folks that work on Thanksgiving in Vegas.
Well, on Wednesday about 200 people are counting on me to get them across the Atlantic.

Thursday I’ll be in Edinburgh (where Turkey will likely be scarce)

Friday another 200 or so will be counting on me to get them safely back.

And I’ll be training a new pilot in the process.

So, work.

Not complaining but since everyone travels over the holidays, I’m usually working getting them where they want to go.

No such things as "Holidays" working for the airlines..... 😞

In fact, it's usually "Work Harder"!
The Newark employee cafeteria serves up Turkey with all the trimmings on Thanksgiving.

The flight office gives out free vouchers for that dinner to any pilot working that day. I won’t be in town this year, but I’ve had a couple dinners there.

There’s a tip jar for the cafeteria staff, who are also working Thanksgiving.

When I was an FO many years ago, I used to throw a $20 in the jar. I’m grateful that they’re cooking dinner for everyone who is at work.

Now, I’m a Captain - so, when I have a holiday dinner there, I throw in a bigger bill for the staff.

We always go to one of my aunts or my grandma’s this year my aunt is hosting cause her house is bigger and the family keeps expanding lol. We didn’t get a turkey at work this year due to a shortage. They got us some good hams instead. I personally like ham better than turkey but we probably won’t fix it on thanksgiving as we aren’t having that at my house. I’m mad about having to work Black Friday. That’s stupid and the only day I disagree with my work about not being off and they have a thing where if you take off the day before or day after a holiday then you don’t get paid for the holiday. That’s why I’m taking that Monday off. Absolutely ridiculous I can’t go Black Friday shopping lol. Last year on Black Friday we didn’t do anything at work. Guess my Black Friday shopping will consist of going on eBay and buying numerous license plates and tools and maybe spending too much money lol. At least I’ll get to see my family on Thanksgiving though.

Small gathering with some family. Probably making Mexican food.

I'm over traditional Thanksgiving food and cooking. Tired of cooking and cleaning for 6 hours just to sit at the table and eat lousy food for 10 minutes. And all those leftovers of lousy food to begrudgingly eat for the next 5 days? Hell no. I can cook good Thanksgiving food, but in the end there's so much better food I can be cooking.

Kids are all doing their thing, so we are getting together with another couple and going out for dinner. Then the Mizzou vs Arkansas game on Friday. oilBabe is a Mizzou grad.

No such things as "Holidays" working for the airlines..... 😞

In fact, it's usually "Work Harder"!
The unappreciated working stiffs who actually make the world work, from the guy that loads the luggage to the rest room attendants who try to see that you don't have to worry about having a spare square to get you on your way. What got you to grandma's and seeing family members and friends again took a myriad of individuals each seeing to it that did their small part without fanfare. Now get off your duff Road Dukie and help that irate smuck in your face over slob next to him with world class flatulence.

We had planned on family coming out. Now 3 of the 4 kids are sick….

It’ll be a popcorn and pretzel dinner for Thanksgiving this year. Maybe some jelly beans too.

I was going to take the week off, stuff at work got planned, so now burning some vacation time.

MIL is coming for the day, then her and my immediate family head out of state for second Thanksgiving with wife's family. Leaving me home for the weekend? wife "assumed" that I didn't want to go. I thought about protesting, insisting that she hadn't consulted me on this, making assumptions blah blah blah... decided that "yes dear" was the right answer as to being told what I was doing in this case.

So it'll be me and Sam Adams for a nice quiet weekend of puttering around the house. Maybe I'll take myself out bowling, that'll be a nice treat.

In Atlantic City...
IMG_20221123_084524252_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back