Anyone have Oil Analysis on CK-4/SN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ofelas
I believe Amsoil 0w40 DZF is CK4/SN/SN+

It has 1314 Zinc, 1206 Phosphorous, and 99 Boron.

Reads like CI-4+ ZDDP levels to me.

I would gather the Amsoil isn't formally certified. I have no problem with that, and this is a very capable lube. However, I suspect the SA levels might be a little high for the official certifications. That's not a big deal all on its own, and is actually sought by some consumers, but consumers do have to read carefully.

When CK-4 came out, Shell elected to remove SN from products as necessary, and even where not necessary, leaving only a couple SN HDEOs in existence. Amsoil needs to watch the scattergun approach. I always like to point out the Petro-Canada website for their Duron HDEO line. They have a very nice, easy to read chart that shows the difference between formal approvals, meeting specifications (i.e. where a formal approval cannot be granted because there is no such regime, like ACEA), and recommended a product for use (as in an obsolete specification or something they do not wish to actually certify for). I would suggest this approach would be helpful for all oil companies and would make product selection much easier. The benefit for Petro-Canada here is you look for a specification, and you can find the products and viscosities that meet it, rather than going through a few selected sheets from Petro-Canada and a few from Shell and a few from Mobil, and so forth. Right off, you're letting a purchaser look at the competition.

Amsoil could definitely benefit from this approach. They have a wide enough product line with differing levels of approvals and recommendations, let alone race oriented products. They could make things very easy for someone wishing to make a selection from their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back