anyone have experience with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II? currently 35% off. 225/65r17

Just picked up a set for the 2013 equinox.
225/65r17 for 92.99 at walmart regular price is $143

regular price is around $143? from DT, DTD, tirerack etc.
here is a link if anyone else wants to get in on the deal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Scorpion-Verde-All-Season-Plus-II-225-65R17-102H-SUV-Crossover-Tire/363453564

highly reviewed, I'm expecting above average traction and handling for an all season tire.
They stack up pretty good against the michelin crossclimate and continential offering in the tirerack review from last winter.

current tires are 3 of the oem michelin latitude tour that are hard as rocks and 1 goodyear viva 2 tire that is under 4/32's tread depth
one of the michelins has an ugly plug but doenst leak from a shoulder bolt in the tire shoulder
the goodyear has leaked 2-3lb a month since new.. or about 3x the michelins that are considerably older.

Excellent tire that is standard on luxury brands like BMW, MB etc.
I wasnt asking about pirellis in general but this exact tire which I dont think is an oem model.. and came out last year?

supposely they are fairly similar to the previous model

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus (no II)​

but with Lower rolling resistance and better wet traction.. due to updates in the tire construction and tread compound.

oh and fyi if anyone likes pirelli P4's they have insane clearance on walmart in some sizes.. p205/55r16 were $54 iirc.

I wasnt asking about pirellis in general but this exact tire which I dont think is an oem model.. and came out last year?
It is improvement over Verde that is standard OE tire on these vehicles. Verde Scorpion Plus was Pirelli's aftermarket version that was usually better than OE version. Plus II is improvement over already great tire.
For that money, get it, and get it fast.

I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season from factory on my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Not the exact same tire as yours, yours is the updated version.
Great tires, quiet, good in rain and light snow. I would buy again when its time to replace mine.

It is improvement over Verde that is standard OE tire on these vehicles. Verde Scorpion Plus was Pirelli's aftermarket version that was usually better than OE version. Plus II is improvement over already great tire.
For that money, get it, and get it fast.
yep already ordered DT is putting them on thurs morning at 8am
considered walmart but the walmart with TLE near me have massive turnover.. and crapshoot.

At least the I know the manager at DT now.. and he takes care of issues if any pop up.

Still available and in a few other sizes at a good %off check them out at walmart.com

Had a customer get 60k out of them on an AWD Explorer that are hard on tires. He also lives down gravel. When he was due for a new set didn't even bother pricing other options just said "When can you get me four of those same tires?"

In summary, if the Premier LTX's are the DT version with 10/32", they are a better value than the Pirelli's. Treadwear is no better than the original Michelin Premier LTX's.

My son has a set on his Explorer. They are the OEM. He's got ~26K miles and they need to be replaced. They are quiet and have excellent traction but they are $$ in his size.

My experience generally with Pirellis has been suboptimal. Euro brand tires are the reason why Korean and Japanese tires sell so well.

My son has a set on his Explorer. They are the OEM. He's got ~26K miles and they need to be replaced. They are quiet and have excellent traction but they are $$ in his size.

My experience generally with Pirellis has been suboptimal. Euro brand tires are the reason why Korean and Japanese tires sell so well.
OE tires in general have a lower treadwear rating than the aftermarket version.
Just checked tirerack.com.
For my size the OE version is $236 per tire and has a 600 wear rating.
The Plus II is $211 and has a 740 wear rating. The Plus II is about middle of pack cost per tire.

These are a different tire 2 generations newer than the oem model(I think)
I know they compared decently against the first gen michelin cross climate
also oem tires generally wear much faster than aftermarket versions... there are some exceptions.

The update to the "plus II" model supposedly is a new tire construction and tread compound that increases traction and treadlife and having lower Rolling resistance.

But I am 100% not worried about treadlife thats why I was shopping nokian wrg4.
Car is my disabled mother in law's equinox. IT will most likely get 3000miles or less and thats with driving it for groceries when we stop over.

I was shopping on price and need to get the rock hard michelins off(coming up on 9 years old) so we can get it up the driveway in anything beyond wet pavement.
the michelin's spin at stopsigns and its the 2.4L equinox.

93x4 -$20 $352+ tax and install isnt too bad. everything else was coming in closer to $600 or higher.

If he got Pirelli's Verde Scorpion as OE tire, it is not Plus version.

Had these put on today, so far Initial impressions are as expected (favorable)

Steering has slightly lighter feeling, with decent turn in not UHP, but not marshmallows either.

no issues at DT, was in and out in 35min. 454$ all in tax, install, tpms kit, tire disposal fee(ohio).

They offered half price road hazard "tire certificates" 38$ for all 4 but as this is basically 3rd vehicle I passed.

only oddity is the water channels on the tires are oddly wide. might just look odd because of this specific tire size..

Be interesting to see how it behaves on the grooved pavement later today.. if it follows the grooves or not
pirellitread.JPG

The width of the tread block (red arrow) is actually skinnier than the width of the water channel
Also by the blue arrow notice the water channel has fairly large "shoulders"

from looking at the actual tire it appears to be a ton of space taken up by those channels.

Traction is ok so far even in the winter crud we got last night and this morning.

Took a minute to figure out if they put on the right tires or not .. giant Scorpion Verde lettering on the tire sidewall....
the "AS plus II" is tiny letters barely raised black on black right by the wheel.

Edit: fixed messed up text from earlier edit!

Last edited:
Had these put on today, so far Initial impressions are as expected (favorable)

Steering has slightly lighter feeling, with decent turn in not UHP, but not marshmallows either.

no issues at DT, was in and out in 35min. 454$ all in tax, install, tpms kit, tire disposal fee(ohio).

They offered half price road hazard "tire certificates" 38$ for all 4 but as this is basically 3rd vehicle I passed.

only oddity is the water channels on the tires are oddly wide. might just look odd because of this specific tire size..

Be interesting to see how it behaves on the grooved pavement later today.. if it follows the grooves or not
.View attachment 37182

The width of the tread block (red arrow) is actually skinnier than the width of the water channel
Also by the blue arrow notice the water channel has fairly large "shoulders"

from looking at the actual tire it appears to be a ton of space taken up by those channels.

Traction is ok so far even in the winter crud we got last night and this morning.

Took a minute to figure out if they put on the right tires or not .. giant Scorpion Verde lettering on the tire sidewall....
the "AS plus II" is tiny letters barely raised black on black right by the wheel.

Edit: fixed messed up text from earlier edit!
How have they been? Grooved pavement an issue?

Thanks!

I have probably put 400miles max on them. I do like them.

The main difference is steering effort is lighter but not too light,
Overall very acceptable tire.. decent in all conditions..
Very noticeable increase in wet traction.

I wouldnt blame the 8+ year old oem tires but even when they were newer you could accidentally squeak a tire at a stop sign in the rain.
its the 4cyl so not exactly a torque monster.

Dont have any road trips etc on it. its my Mother-in-law's vehicle and she is a disabled Vet-- doesnt drive.
Its the easiest car for her to get in and out of.

Once we hit full spring might borrow it some to put some miles on it.

I doubt it would last very long on a half-ton. The threadlife is poor enough as-is.
I was talking about their performance as opposed to wear as I have only driven them. I should have been more clear.

I was also mentioning it because the 265/70R17 and 275/65R18 may not use the same construction or compound as smaller sizes.

Back