Anyone have a opinion on K&N oil filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mop

PDQKN-OILFILTER.jpg

Just a thought

I always thought that they were really good product (still are), but they seem to pale in comparison to the Amsoil EaOs according to some of the recent tests/evidence provided on this site. I'm sure that there are MANY on here that feel the K&Ns are nothing special, or even inferior to Wix, Baidwins, etc., etc. Hopefully, they will chime in to give their reasons/rationale on this opinion.

I remember when Demon Tweaks was making a push to establish themselves over here. I guess they never "took" since we have had many suppliers/sources for all things safety/race/rally/obscure & hard to find Brit/Euro companies' products materialise in recent years.

The plus for a K&N is the bolt on the end which facilitates removal. Other than that, similar filtration performance to other premium oil filters *except* the Amsoil EaO filter.
i.e. the K&N is roughly 10% as efficient; the EaO removes 90%+ more abrasive particulates than the K&N...
For very little more money one can have a much more efficient oil filter that flows oil easier and lasts appreciably longer.....
George Morrison, STLE CLS
(NOT an Amsoil dealer, never have been, no association with Amsoil)

In my FL-820S application...if I could leave them on x5 longer and get the same filtering (ref. PureONE media)...I 'might' consider one.

I would also consider if racing.

K&N oil filters are built to have as little flow restriction as possible. The way to do that is to ask the filter to do less as the oil passes by. If you need a little bit extra flow and only want to catch bigger stuff it is a very high quality filter.

Quote:

In my FL-820S application...if I could leave them on x5 longer and get the same filtering (ref. PureONE media)...I 'might' consider one.

I would also consider if racing.

stick with the 820

I've been using K&N oil filters on my Corvette ever since I got it and every oil analysis I've got has come back looking great, so this filter is obviously not causing a problem. I recently switched to Wix filters though, so I'm hoping my results stay the same. I found it a pain to get K&N oil filters here, as Canadian Tire never kept them in stock, I always had to special order them.

IMO there is no need for an oil filter that traps super small particles, the most important aspect is flow. If your engine is sound and the oil you're running is good and your air filter is good, you won't have a lot of "stuff" floating in your oil for the filter to catch anyhow.

Quote:

K&N oil filters are built to have as little flow restriction as possible. The way to do that is to ask the filter to do less as the oil passes by. If you need a little bit extra flow and only want to catch bigger stuff it is a very high quality filter.

I agree. One can not focus on filter media effeciency alone, instead, effective filteration effeciency of the filter as a SYSTEM is key for good UOA.
The best filter media does not mean anything if filter is constantly in bypass mode. K&N offers good flow and it is hardly ever in bypass mode during high RPM, cold startup, or media is relatively clogged.

My opinion: Good filters, but overpriced. According to the Grease study they flow well, but a $3 Purolator flows AND filters better.

-T

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. One can not focus on filter media effeciency alone, instead, effective filteration effeciency of the filter as a SYSTEM is key for good UOA.
The best filter media does not mean anything if filter is constantly in bypass mode. K&N offers good flow and it is hardly ever in bypass mode during high RPM, cold startup, or media is relatively clogged.

And just how do you know when the K&N filter is in bypass mode?
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And just how do you know when the K&N filter is in bypass mode?
dunno.gif

No direct way for sure, but Terry has seen countless UOAs. I trust his professional opinion. This is an exact quote from him. It makes sense because who uses only the filter media on their engine?
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6&Number=733626
Quote:

Using JUST the efficiency rating is misleading as the K&N OF will hardly ever go into bypass. Meaning capacity and life of actual filtering might miss a percentage of very small particles but trumps most OTC oil filters that cycle in and out of bypass ( with NO filtering taking place) like Bill Clinton and his lovers.

Another of K&N's "claims to fame" are their stated burst pressures, which ARE quite high, but of limited use/need to most.
As an aside; does ANYONE know the claimed burst pressures on the EaO series? Just curious, NOT slighting Amsoil (I have an EaO on my car now), and NO matter how low it may be, I would not change my EaO for that reason. Pablo? Tim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back