Anyone have a Honda CR-V owner's manual from Latin America?

I've heard that Honda specifies different oil grades in other countries. I tried searching honda.mx with Google Translate to find a CR-V owner's manual, but no luck. Does anyone have one they can share? Even a screenshot of the oil recommendation page would be fine. Thanks.

I see on the webpage in Brazil no mention of CRV being marketed there,

Just Honda City and the HR-V

I just put 10W30 in my Ford 2.0L DI with vvt - a nasty fuel diluter - and it works fine, surprising to me as that has not been my experience in the past. This in the Winter with ambient @ freezing starts.

Honda Brazil:

There are CR-V sold in Mexico:

Last edited:
My guess is that in non CAFE counties they call for 5w-30 oil!
Don’t we know that already? And I suspect that there is less qc on the oils there too. I know in the Caribbean while you can get mainstream brands and specs, the kind of junk that pqia finds is also far more prevalent.

Last edited:
This is genuine Honda engine oil type 2.0

The Recommended "commercial engine oil" are all 30 grade ACEA C2/C3.

We have a 2012 Civic with the R18 engine. Owner's manual for other regions/countries list that it can use from 0W-20 up to 10W-40 engine oil.

This engine, being as little as it is, was no doubt developed for one reason: Fuel economy. Yet it is spec'd to run up to 40-weight oil. 🤷‍♂️

This is not rocket science. If a particular engine is making excessive racket hot, and/or using oil, advance to the next grade or to a somewhat more robust HTHS.
Modern engines should be turbine smooth and relatively quiet.

Last edited:
This is not rocket science. If a particular engine is making excessive racket hot, and/or using oil, advance to the next grade or to a somewhat more robust HTHS.
Modern engines should be turbine smooth and relatively quiet.
Well except for noisy direct injectors that kinda ruin that lol

The manual for Mexico is not hard to find, in case you need it in the future.

Screenshot_20220312-112108_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I've heard that Honda specifies different oil grades in other countries. I tried searching honda.mx with Google Translate to find a CR-V owner's manual, but no luck. Does anyone have one they can share? Even a screenshot of the oil recommendation page would be fine. Thanks.
They do. I have found it more straightforward to go on the Penrite (Australia) website and search for the suggested oil for the application. Although vehicle names don't 100% match you can find the same engine.

For example, according to those lookups our 2005 CRV can use 15w40 or 5w40. And the 2022 MDX can go 5w30.

They do. I have found it more straightforward to go on the Penrite (Australia) website and search for the suggested oil for the application. Although vehicle names don't 100% match you can find the same engine.

For example, according to those lookups our 2005 CRV can use 15w40 or 5w40. And the 2022 MDX can go 5w30.
And in case anyone wonders, engine oil manufacturers will NOT recommend a viscosity that differs from what the automaker specs. They even go so far to make sure they match it by country or region too.

I haven't seen one but would be surprised if it doesn't.

Recent Honda manuals often ran from 16 Grade (Japan) to 40 Grade (Middle East).

My older J-Series list from 20 to 50 Grade depending on region.

And in case anyone wonders, engine oil manufacturers will NOT recommend a viscosity that differs from what the automaker specs. They even go so far to make sure they match it by country or region too.

They will recommend a different Winter Rating. Mobil 1 routinely suggest 0W-20 for cars that are not on Hondas official list allowing 0W-20.

It also hasn't always been true of primary grade.

Amsoil used to suggest 30 Grade for 20 Grade cars but appears to have ceased.

Mobil 1 used to recommend 5W-20 for cars that speced 10W-30 and 10W-40 but it's HTHS at the time was actually comparable.

Prove? Nothing. Just trying to satisfy a curiosity. Anecdotally, I've heard several times that oil grade requirements are different in different countries.
Yes they do, and there have been many threads showing all kinds of different vehicle owner's manuals pages posted showing a wide range of recommended oil viscosities based on ambient temperatures.

If you want to use a grade thicker than what the OM calls out, it's not going to do any harm ... it will actually give you more oil film thickness and more protection of moving parts rubbing together (tribology 101).

Back