Anyone gone back to a flip phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, having a smart phone is a convenience and I try to use my data smartly. I use very little data as I try to use WiFi as much as possible. If I do anything important on my phone and I am on public WiFi then I turn it off and use the data but typically I use less than 500 MB a month; I like the idea of having a computer with me at all times.

I don't think I could go back to a flip phone but everybody has their needs and wants.

I tried going back to a flip phone but didn't last more than a couple of weeks. The convenience of being able to consume information as needed versus finding a computer to do it was just too valuable.

I mainly use wifi.

In my locale Verizon is filling gaps in with LTE only on rented towers. So folks with flip phones or older smartphones still have terrible coverage. My iPhone 6 has perfect reception at home, on beach and at ski mountain. My mother in law and her sister cannot even get a text out reliably at same locations and calls useless on their flip phone.

So you may find a downgrade in service. I think providers have moved on from updating 2g (flip) so be wary.

If all I used my phone for is talking then a flip phone would be my favorite choice.I like the compactness and screen protection on a flip phone.

2G is dead in USA, and 3G has little time of life left in it. All new installations are LTE and 3G capacity is shrinking. So, yes: you can downgrade to a flip phone, as long as it is future proof. Sad, as the best phones in regards to voice are in past. There are still some excellent Nokia, Motorola and Blackberry units around, but their life expectancy is diminishing rapidly.

I am thinking about trying it when I have to get a new card next month. I ordered a SD card for it so I can try to get my contacts over to it.

I tried typing on it and I'm actually not too bad at using the regular keypad. I was actually surprised at how fast I was at it.

Gone back? I still use one and I don't use it much at all. Can go for weeks without using it.
All I need to do is make or answer a call when needed. Don't need all that other stuff... I probably wouldn't know how to use anything else anyway.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I am somewhat a minimalist. I only use a flip phone ($23) and Page Plus (120 or 365 day plan). As of now, I feel connected enough with my computer and don't need, nor want the 24/7 portable connectivity of a smart phone. I value other things in life, but everyone has their own priorities.
Originally Posted By: tig1
I never left a flip phone. It's all I need, and money doesn't play into it.

Same here.

I've never used anything other than a flip phone. I don't text.

Being on call for a week at a time, i need battery life. I can't be in a position of not having charged my phone. My kyocera stays functional for about 3 weeks on a single charge.

masthead-phone.png

Last edited:
Well after years use of the flip phone just yesterday I gave it up and now have a new phone. Son tried to show me many of the features... Told him all I need is to turn it on, make or answer a call, hang up, and turn it off, and I wish I could fold it in half like the flip phone.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I am somewhat a minimalist. I only use a flip phone ($23) and Page Plus (120 or 365 day plan). As of now, I feel connected enough with my computer and don't need, nor want the 24/7 portable connectivity of a smart phone. I value other things in life, but everyone has their own priorities.
Originally Posted By: tig1
I never left a flip phone. It's all I need, and money doesn't play into it.

Same here.

I've never used anything other than a flip phone. I don't text.

Being on call for a week at a time, i need battery life. I can't be in a position of not having charged my phone. My kyocera stays functional for about 3 weeks on a single charge.

masthead-phone.png

I'm going back to my old flip phone in few months. Too many things I don't need on smart phone

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Smart phones suck up the units updating the apps if you are not careful.

That's very easy to address in the settings, I auto update apps but it will only do it when on WiFi, so I don't use any data to do it. You can trigger an update manually over cellular data, but that's on you for doing so.

I've definitely thought about it, but I like the features that I use on a smart phone. My next will have enough capacity to hold my music collection, so I'll have my phone, MP3 player, GPS on one device. In a way that's minimalist. Definitely not the cheap way, but the fewer devices way.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I'm here everyday and never owned a smartphone, tablet or ipad.

My comment was intended as a Joke. But more often than not, I do browse Bitog on the phone, because I am frequently away from home.

I was going to make the switch back, but I can't find a way to transfer my contacts back to the flip phone.
I've tried all kinds of ways and get get them over to it. I was able to Bluetooth one at a time from my computer but then all the info either wasn't there or was jumbled up. I have about 107 contacts and I really don't want to take the time to type all their info in.

I don't really need all the email addresses or regular addresses that are tied to each contact but I really do want their home and cell numbers for each one.

I don't contact all of them all the time but I do want them for just in case.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
I was going to make the switch back, but I can't find a way to transfer my contacts back to the flip phone.
I've tried all kinds of ways and get get them over to it. I was able to Bluetooth one at a time from my computer but then all the info either wasn't there or was jumbled up. I have about 107 contacts and I really don't want to take the time to type all their info in.

I don't really need all the email addresses or regular addresses that are tied to each contact but I really do want their home and cell numbers for each one.

I don't contact all of them all the time but I do want them for just in case.

Have you reached out to your carrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back