anyone familiar with ITAR compliance at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
have to keep this vague to avoid trouble, but my company just updated our internet usage policy, under the guise of ITAR (international traffic in arms regulations)...
they have taken away ALL usage, no streaming music or videos, AND NO cell phones in production areas, and we're not allowed to play CD's in the computers, nor thumb drives, etc...

I 'guess' I can understand cell phones, (taking pics of restricted stuff, etc) but how does playing a CD or listening to streaming music interfere with ITAR regs?

anyone have any experience with this?

The Chinese network stuff is a compromise. I don't get CDs, we are not allowed flash memory, so that is the main way to transfer files. However there is substantial scanning on all media.

Those regulations don't have anything to do with ITAR per se.

That is just common sense computing @ a company that has sensitive info. All the mentioned security measures have been in place where I work for years; cell phones can't have cameras.

But yes, they used ITAR to shift responsibility.

Any chance you send e-mail unencrypted; this may be a violation if technical data is included.

Last edited:
We had a guy bring in a CD with MP3 music on it last year. Ran it on a computer on the plant floor. Due to a virus He ended up shutting half the robot cells down and we lost a whole days production. In addition to the lost production, everybody was sent home losing a days pay.

So I guess I can see where they are coming from.

How about they are paying you to work, not be entertained or spend time with personal use?

BTW, music often has a detrimental effect. Only some types can help. Plants grow slower, cows give less milk,people are less productive, etc.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
How about they are paying you to work, not be entertained or spend time with personal use?

BTW, music often has a detrimental effect. Only some types can help. Plants grow slower, cows give less milk,people are less productive, etc.

I guess making a claim like that you have some evidence? or maybe you've observed your cows producing less?

my question has to do with a specific circumstance of ITAR; I was not discussing the moral or ethical implications of using the internet at work, but thanks for playing!

I have no personal evidence, or cows to check.
But studies have been done and I relate to them. This is not news, at this point.
You may consider the public use of loud crud music at Waco and other places/nations to disrupt the people there by various Gov'ts.
There is other evidence besides empirical.
Google is your friend, or the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back