Anyone ever hear of scam like this before?

I have to say, that is creative. I have a duplicate title and the original. Thought I had lost the original and paid for the second one. It only says "replacement" and doesn't nullify the original title as far as I can tell. I can see this working here without a doubt.

Last edited:
What is next, gift cards? Yeah, that's legit.
Already a thing, people try to scam employees with it by impersonating a high level executive and say "hey can you stop by xyz retailer on the way home and get some gift cards"? They'll use say an email address that looks close but with @gmail, @hotmail, etc. I was one of the email admins at my old job and I have seen it. Thankfully it never escalated to the point that someone was duped, but they definitely got a few replies out of some people.

Already a thing, people try to scam employees with it by impersonating a high level executive and say "hey can you stop by xyz retailer on the way home and get some gift cards"? They'll use say an email address that looks close but with @gmail, @hotmail, etc. I was one of the email admins at my old job and I have seen it. Thankfully it never escalated to the point that someone was duped, but they definitely got a few replies out of some people.

I have one of those e-mails from Amazon, the only giveaway is the domain it was sent from, man it is a dead ringer for official except for what it says. I may have saved it but for no reason (show it to who!) but yeah.

A scammer's favorite thing in the world is a Bill Of Sale. They act like they didn't know it wasn't a title and go treating it as such. In their mind, it represents a legal contract to buy the car. Even electronically filled out on a phone.. yeah right.

Bill Of Sales are receipts. Titles are legal proof of ownership.

I have to say, that is creative. I have a duplicate title and the original. Thought I had lost the original and paid for the second one. It only says "replacement" and doesn't nullify the original title as far as I can tell. I can see this working here without a doubt.

That is the whole problem here.. the mindless rube would find out at the counter of the DMV.

Scammer would already be in Florida.

The bill of sale means that the "previous owner" relinquishes ownership rights they may have had in exchange for the sale price.

It does not prove that they were the legitimate owner in the first place, and if they were not, the "buyer" doesn't own the property now either.

In real estate it is called a quit-claim deed. They are the basis for a lot of scams as well.

The bill of sale means that the "previous owner" relinquishes ownership rights they may have had in exchange for the sale price.

It does not prove that they were the legitimate owner in the first place, and if they were not, the "buyer" doesn't own the property now either.

In real estate it is called a quit-claim deed. They are the basis for a lot of scams as well.

Exactly. They would get laughed put of a motor vehicle office.

I once witnessed a situation where a seller was all hung up on presenting a Bill Of Sale - but not a title - to another scammer, that acted like the Bill Of Sale was a title and de facto meant the car was theirs! They drove around for two or three months with an open title, drug deal to drug deal.. allegedly got busted somehow, car impounded, and when the actual owner was contacted, it was in Florida and they were in California and it was said to just junk it or sign it over to yard etc. I can't prove that, and I can't help but think it had a new title issued after sitting at impound for so long and then auctioned but.. a nice tale, if it is true. Again, I'll never know.

I always thought a Bill Of Sale was a receipt of money exchanged. It's still not a title.

Maine doesn't issue titles on cars older than 1995.

I can sell you or anyone a 1994 Ford with an old registration and bill of sale. That's all. Due to the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Constitution, your state has to accept my documentation. They'll print a title. They might hassle the heck out of you, maybe even make you put up a bond, I can't speak for every state. This is how "Broadway title" washes paperwork on old barn finds-- you sell them your car, they register it in Maine, then they sell it back with their valid reg.

You'll notice on a title application they want "supporting documentation" of which a title is the most common. But you could also use a court order, affidavit of abandonment...

Back