Anyone ever build a stump grinder?

Well I built my stump grinder, it runs great. The first oil change/fillup the oil got really black and metallic looking after about an hour of run time. So changed it and filled it up with cheap Rotella 30wt oil I got on clearance at walmart a few years ago. On the 3rd oil change it looks like oil in my other machines. I grease the pillow blocks after every time it runs with majestic "red and tacky" grease. Haven't blown out or got any pillow bock play yet.
Pictures??!

Well its still going. That old gx390 I got cheap as dirt had badly worn oil rings and just burned a ton of oil. It got to where I had to fill up the oil and fuel at the same time. I put a predator 459cc on the stump grinder. I am wearing out pillow blocks in 10 hours or less. Dirt just get in them.
I'll post pictures next time I have it out.

Screenshot_2023-07-25-12-50-12-592.jpg

Well its still going. That old gx390 I got cheap as dirt had badly worn oil rings and just burned a ton of oil. It got to where I had to fill up the oil and fuel at the same time. I put a predator 459cc on the stump grinder. I am wearing out pillow blocks in 10 hours or less. Dirt just get in them.
I'll post pictures next time I have it out.
East New Mexico doesnt have trees. just kidding. I love the Lincoln National Forest. Definitely would like to see pictures as well, sounds like you had fun with the build.

A proper stump grinder takes a lot of HP - all of it. Definitely not worth trying to build. Unless you already have a 40+hp coming out of something, even then.....just rent or hire.
Tractor mounted stump grinders are surprisingly slow until your get into unlimited power and money is no object class pto stump grinders. Glad I didn't get one as I only have a small tractor.

I searched stump grinders on here and didn't find much.
Here's my main criteria.
I picked up a used Honda gx390 to try as my first motor. If it doesn't cut it I might upgrade to one of those 27 hp predator engines or some other v-twin.
The cutter head is going to be made from a 9.5 inch diameter steel circle, over all cutter head diameter will be about 12 to 13 inches. Probably use taper lock weld on flange and pulleys on the cutter head.
Cutters will be eight, 700 series green teeth.
New stump grinders are stupid expensive, used ones I find are beat all to hell and priced almost as if they are new.
Rentals are $300 for half a day and they are all junk and look like $700 to $1,000 cheapies, basically glorified lawn edgers. You would need to rent it half the day to grind away a single 3 foot stump.
I'm building about a $2,500 to $3,000 price point one.
Anyone know of 1 inch heavy duty pillow blocks that have a really good seal?
Here's a detailed article on how to build a stump grinder from the ground up.
How to build a stump grinder

That’s an awesome build! Luckily my local equipment rental is pretty economical as I needed a stump grinder for a weekend at the end of winter beginning of spring.

A rather technical feat sir, buying a new one is expensive, really really expensive.

That is pretty darn cool. I've needed a stump grinder just a maybe 3 times, but sure would have been handy.

Small compared to the ones I have seen. Say a 30-36" cottonwood, down 24-36", how long would it take do you think?

I have hired guys at $100 per 24" or larger tree stump - other smaller trees usually no charge or small if you have a couple three larger trees at the same time. Last guy got 3 30" or so stumps and 5-6 12-14" trees. I paid him $400

That is pretty darn cool. I've needed a stump grinder just a maybe 3 times, but sure would have been handy.

Small compared to the ones I have seen. Say a 30-36" cottonwood, down 24-36", how long would it take do you think?

I have hired guys at $100 per 24" or larger tree stump - other smaller trees usually no charge or small if you have a couple three larger trees at the same time. Last guy got 3 30" or so stumps and 5-6 12-14" trees. I paid him $400
Cotton wood is soft it would pay waste to a 3 foot cotton wood stump in 20 minutes. Assuming the stump was cut off close to the ground and I don't go real deep.

Back