Anyone else leary of washing Microfiber in their washing machine?

Rags are a throw away item. Microfibers are used for cleaning and detailing. If you want swirl marks and paint damage you can use a rag to dry. A person that doesn't have an interest in maintaining the condition of their paint or vehicle generally wouldn't be interested in this thread.
Says who? I use microfiber rags to apply TW Ice and a separate one to buff after I wash my cars and than dry them with a large, clean old beach towel.
I use microfiber rags to clean the house too...guess what? They all get thrown in the wash with everything else that gets washed and than in the dryer with everything else that gets dried. Both of our 2016 Lexus look just fine. Oh...and sometimes I go to the local car wash too.

Says who? I use microfiber rags to apply TW Ice and a separate one to buff after I wash my cars and than dry them with a large, clean old beach towel.
I use microfiber rags to clean the house too...guess what? They all get thrown in the wash with everything else that gets washed and than in the dryer with everything else that gets dried. Both of our 2016 Lexus look just fine. Oh...and sometimes I go to the local car wash too.
Without even seeing your cars, I can guarantee that they're swirled.

If it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you and that's fine.

Putting aside the smart Alec remarks, a sensible person keeps their automobile detailing microfiber separate from all other microfiber used in the house.

A beach towel is a swirl maker. No ifs ands or buts.
Microfiber cloths are just that...cloths. Cotton Terry cloth towels are what is/was used to hand wash and dry vehicles for decades and still are. When one is done using both, they get tossed into the wash with the Tide, Gain,All or whatever brand laundry detergent is the house choice. After that, thrown into the dryer after tossing in a Bounce dryer sheet and folded and put back in their place. Most folks in the US call it doing laundry.
If someone wants to make a science project out of that process, go for it.

Last edited:
Microfiber cloths are just that...cloths. Cotton Terry cloth towels are what is/was used to hand wash and dry vehicles for decades and still are. When one is done using both, they get tossed into the wash with the Tide, Gain,All or whatever brand laundry detergent is the house choice. After that, thrown into the dryer after tossing in a Bounce dryer sheet and folded and put back in their place. Most folks in the US call it doing laundry.
If someone wants to make a science project out of that process, go for it.

The entire point of avoiding too high heat is so you don't singe the "micro" fibers. If you do, they're less effective.

Fabric softener clogs the fibers, the towels can become hydrophobic, and they become less effective.

You can use terry cotton towels but there is a reason that they are now avoided in all but special instances for automotive detailing; they mar delicate automotive paints.

There are several types of fabrics that have special wash instructions. Microfiber is just one of them. It's not a science project, it's proper care.

I honestly don't care what you do with your clothes or towels or car, but there is a right way and a wrong way here.

The entire point of avoiding too high heat is so you don't singe the "micro" fibers. If you do, they're less effective.

Fabric softener clogs the fibers, the towels can become hydrophobic, and they become less effective.

You can use terry cotton towels but there is a reason that they are now avoided in all but special instances for automotive detailing; they mar delicate automotive paints.

There are several types of fabrics that have special wash instructions. Microfiber is just one of them. It's not a science project, it's proper care.

I honestly don't care what you do with your clothes or towels or car, but there is a right way and a wrong way here.
They're towels and cloths. They get used. They get washed and dried.
Not one person here has provided a shred of scientific knowledge or evidence that washing and drying of in residential washers and dryers causes any issues. It's been a plethora of anecdotal happy hour tales.
" delicate automotive paints"...😆

The "evidence" is common knowledge and basic fabric care.

Wash a quality microfiber with a dedicated detergent and dry in low heat. It will remain as new.

Wash a microfiber with dissimilar materials, especially cotton, and it will pick up lint.

Dry it on too high of a heat setting, and you can singe the fibers.

Use fabric softener, and the fibers become clogged and the towel becomes less effective or even hydrophobic.

Are you a flat-earther too?

I realize some don't chase perfection. That is fine.

But it is obscenely easy to swirl automotive paints. Do us all a favor. Wash your car, and take a photo in the sun for us.

Let's compare.

They're towels and cloths. They get used. They get washed and dried.
Not one person here has provided a shred of scientific knowledge or evidence that washing and drying of in residential washers and dryers causes any issues. It's been a plethora of anecdotal happy hour tales.
" delicate automotive paints"...😆

There's no reason not to wash MF towels. I wash mine then let them air dry. Don't put them in the dryer because doing so makes them less absorbent. Those of you who just throw them away are wasting your money...buy good ones, like those from the Rag Company and they'll last for years...

Last edited:
To Summarize: wash your microfiber clothes with standard laundry detergent. Dry them as you see fit. End of discussion.

Back