Anyone else leary of washing Microfiber in their washing machine?

I get the small fibers on glass as well. Wasn’t sure if mine just need to be replaced or if it’s from washing them. Maybe a waffle weave towel for glass is better?
Linting can be caused by drying on too high heat, washing with other types of material, or they may just be plain worn out.

Starting with a higher quality towel generally means they'll last longer. For glass I have started using edgeless microsuede.

Reactions: JC1
In 20+ years all microfiber towels have been machine washed with nary a problem. For the really bad ones I soaked them overnight in a 5 gallon bucket with Oxiclean and hot water then machine washed them. Laundry detergent can be used providing it is void of perfumes, dyes, and softeners. Vinegar in the wash cycle softens them naturally. Machine drying was always used sometimes with the wool dryer balls. As mentioned no fabric softeners or dryer sheets should ever be used. Microfiber towels should be washed separately from other items. Dry on low heat, don't bake them in the dryer.

I always purchased high quality towels from Korea, the disposable cheapo towels have their place but they were not my choice. As mentioned above Charlie's Soap, the original Woolite, and some of the specialty microfiber cleaners worked best. Tide Free and similar laundry detergents work just fine also.

I use Poorboy's Typhoon Microfiber Cleaner. Works better than any other detergent I have tried so far. I also use their Tornado Pad Cleaner.

2-3oz, hot water, double rinse. Tumble dry no heat. My paint microfibers cost a whole lot more than $0.50 each, and they stay fresh for a long time.

If I am doing something that will ruin a towel, but I still need a new, soft towel (like leveling/buffing a ceramic coating) I will cut the edges off of a Kirkland towel and discard when I'm done.

The Kirkland towels are my throw-aways. They go from paint/interior to door jambs to engine bays to tires and then they're shop towels.
Agree with you about Typhoon. Poorboys has many excellent products.

Waffle weave towels are a definate. However if ypu don't i dry my regular on low till almost dry then switch to "no heat dry" setting to get them softvand dry.

I wash my microfibers as if they were activewear. They are essentially the same thing. I’ll use the “hippie” or “tech wash” detergent free of dye/optical brightener and softeners that “coat” the fibers.

My dad just soaks them in bleach and uses them as rags. Careless.

Never occurred to me that a towel might break the Speed Queen.

On the other hand, I see no need to be gentle with them. They get washed on warm with the ‘heavy’ setting. I usually can get to the machine and set it back halfway through the cycle. Sometimes I can do that twice.

Probably better to give it a second rinse.

I soak mine in detergent with hot water. In about 2 days I swish them around then wring them out, dump the soapy water and do another soak with detergent and hot water. Leave than for another 2-3 days then wring them out and rinse then line dry. My wife will kill me if I washed them in the machine because she doesn't want the oils from the polishes/wax on her clothes.

While I tend to agree with the idea that they are too cheap to invest/waste time on washing, I use at least 5-6times before they become 'rag' or for wheel cleaning.

I do rinseless wash and once the car is wiped down, those towels go in a separate bucket. As soon as I am done, I rinse all those towels in hot water a few times and let them air dry until I have a big pile that can go in the laundry. While doing laundry, I use regular laundry detergent and also add a couple of capful of rinseless wash concentrate.

Throw away microfiber yikes! Mine get used for months and months. I only delicate them to rag use when the microfibers are no longer fluffy which is normally a very long time. I clean mine separately on a cold setting by themselves with vinegar and detergent. They are dried by themselves on a low heat setting. You can put them in a bucket and soak them in vinegar if you want to pretreat.

Throw away microfiber yikes! Mine get used for months and months. I only delicate them to rag use when the microfibers are no longer fluffy which is normally a very long time. I clean mine separately on a cold setting by themselves with vinegar and detergent. They are dried by themselves on a low heat setting. You can put them in a bucket and soak them in vinegar if you want to pretreat.

I have had the same microfiber towels for three years now and they are in great shape. Get good quality stuff. The Korean made is best.

I have had the same microfiber towels for three years now and they are in great shape. Get good quality stuff. The Korean made is best.

Can't live without my microfibers! Someone that doesn't use them almost seems like a tragedy.

why Not give them a short hand prewash in a bucket with washing up liquid, the put the in the machine.

why Not give them a short hand prewash in a bucket with washing up liquid, the put the in the machine.

There are those that have a third bucket and that’s what they do. As soon as the towel is soiled or the user is done with it they go into that prewash bucket.

Most unscented laundry detergents are fine. Big thing is to not over-dry them. Lowest heat possible.

I feel as if I have been to MF washing machine school,,,who knew men got this technical on wash cloths....smokem if you gottem

Back