Anyone else enjoy older vehicles?

Messages
1,909
Location
NY, USA, etc.
I'm at a stage in life where it seems everyone is driving a new vehicle. Older cars have character. I just find new vehicles extremely boring. They're all the same. Everyone has a black or silver crossover with AWD and LED headlights. I personally drive a 15 year old 4x4 and a 12 year old economy car and love them both. Sure they require repairs sometimes, but I (for the most part) enjoy doing the maintenance. If something is too much for me or I don't have the time and it needs to get fixed, I have a garage that I can trust that does great service for a reasonable price. I've yet to experience a repair that would cost more than a replacement vehicle of the same size/type, per month. New cars just seem like huge liabilities. I had a brand new car once and I couldn't even sleep without worrying about someone denting it or where I parked, etc. Two years into ownership it was hit while parked (at a dealership while in for warranty work of all places). What ended up happening was the dealer tech who was driving it lost control and slid into a parking pole. It was snowing and I still had the Pirelli PZeros on it at the time. I'm sure the tech didn't think an econobox would have the same tires as the vette on the showroom floor. Also, the dealer never owned up to it and never fixed it right, btw. "We'll fix it in-house and it won't show up on a CarFax." Wrong. Collision is on the CarFax, because they filed a police report and claimed it through their insurance. I also had to do this because they didn't repair it all the way. Thanks guys. The new car brigade just seems like a giant circus to me, at least for a daily driver. You essentially give away a bunch of money to be at the mercy of the dealership. You pay more to insure it and drive it because that's what everyone else is doing and "old cars aren't reliable." I see more problems and blown engines with new cars (and trucks, like my friend's 2015 F-150 that went through three engines) than old ones. Usually rust kills old cars before anything else does. Even a lazy owner who is cheap and doesn't maintain their car can get by for years with clunking suspensions, check engine lights ,etc. Anyone else like their old rides?
 

Nick1994

$50 Site Donor
Messages
13,029
Location
Phoenix, AZ
My Jeep is a blast, but only comes out of hibernation from the garage every once in a while for exploring out in the desert. The Camry is being used by my brother, rather than it rotting into the ground. My Sonata is my commuter. Only paid $10k for it, already came with a couple dings so I'm not too worried. It's my reliable and very comfortable daily driver that I pile the miles onto, I want to be comfortable. Something my Camry couldn't do. I'm tall and have a bad back. It's also EXTREMELY hot here and I don't want to work on a daily driver. 103 degrees out right now...
 
Messages
2,227
Location
Lyndhurst NJ
Yes, 100%. Im worried whats going to replace my cars since 07 is the absolute newest IMO without all the gizmos, diesel exhaust fluids etc. Our favorite car is the 02 Golf Tdi, its the most simple, practical, and affordable. I hear the old cars arent reliable/worth it all day at my shop, instead of sinking 2k into a car for maintenance, theyll go trade it in, and blow 10 on another used one, or go lease a new one thats "cheap". Even Hyundai wants 3500-4k at signing, so the first year alone youre spending 5-6k on a rental.
 
Messages
10,511
Location
Jupiter, Florida
A car is just a tool, to be used up. I enjoy many of the newer cars. Some are boring, as you say. But others are quite fun. Rented a new Maxima and it's one lively beast. Make fun of the CVT all you'd like, it's responsive as can be. Just because the boring Camry and it's spin-off vehicles are vanilla, does not mean there is not a great selection of fun cars today. I'm likely to purchase a Jaguar F-Type. Incredibly fun car to drive. Just picked up a F150 XLT, 4x4 with the 2.7L 10 speed auto. It's downright fun in sport mode with a very responsive, under 6, 0-60. There is nothing boring about it.
 
Messages
30
Location
Columbia, Mo, USA
I've had the same daily driver since 2002. It is a 1999. Had it almost half my life. I am more comfortable doing repairs on it that I wouldn't otherwise be comfortable be doing. Although mostly non-engine related since I am not a mechanic. Don't miss the newer tech in cars of today either. And I don't drive that far to work. I don't really like how attached I am to it though. It is a 4 cylinder, automatic, non-turbo. Not something you'd think I would be that attached to. Seems equivalent to my girlfriends 20 year old cat. Just grown attached to it since I have had it forever and been with me through the hardest times of my life.
 
Messages
10,302
Location
MA
On the flip side, I drove the same car for about 12 years, got a newer car with all the gizmos and after getting it, I was thinking I should have gotten it sooner. Lots more fun to drive, less worries about it breaking down and having all the new options are fun.
 

Zee09

Site Donor 2021
Messages
3,453
Location
Fairhill Maryland
Insurance is cheap for old cars. That is through those that specialize in collector car insurance. I often thought I may just go that way. An older luxury car- gone over of course. Or pickup...
 
Messages
7,700
Location
The Midwest
Many members here like to assume no one makes good money. My wife and I have zero debt, no mortgage, no kids frown and our joint fed tax bracket is 32%. There are better vehicles and I can afford them. Nothing wrong with buying what you like if you can swing it. My plan is to buy a new 2019 Ranger extended cab 4X4 with a 6' bed unless the dealers think they should bring more money than a similar equipped F150. I'll live with the first year bugs.
 
Messages
10,302
Location
MA
Originally Posted by Zee09
Insurance is cheap for old cars. That is through those that specialize in collector car insurance. I often thought I may just go that way. An older luxury car- gone over of course. Or pickup...
Sounds like you're talking about classic cars more than old cars. Typically those have mileage limitations like 2500 a year. Insurance for me was cheaper on a newer car than an older car. Must have just been the demographics or accident stats on one make/model vs another.
 
Messages
10,511
Location
Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Many members here like to assume no one makes good money.
I make a nice living. I just don't spend it. However, because I rent cars on a weekly basis, I know what I like. And it ain't a '66 Mustang or '69 Camaro. They only look good, IMHO.
 
Messages
5,386
Location
NJ
My wife's Rav4 is 13 years old and I don't consider it an older car. By older car, I think of cars made in the 90s and earlier.
 
Messages
319
Location
NY
I have a 19 year old Explorer and it has been good to me . Also have a 1978 Chevy Van (not on road) . I drive the older vehicles because I cant afford a new vehicle . There are times when I appreciate them and times when I am tempted to buy a new (newer) vehicle but it is really a question of need vs want for me . If something needs repair it is alright as it is so old and has lasted for 20 years I don't mind it as much as putting money into a new vehicle that has the same problem . In terms of classic cars I still regret getting rid of a few including a 1956 Chevy, 1961 Caddy, and a 1973(not sure on that year) Lincon . Those were some fun cars . In the 1956 Chevy I remember having to sit on a giant pillow in order to see out the windshield because the seat was not original and was so low . I probably have had about 20 different vehicles over the years .
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,227
Location
Columbus Nebraska
Now in my case, I don't think of anything newer than the 70's as "old". Well, maybe mid 8o's. I think maybe for a daily driver, my ideal car would be a 55 chevy restomod. Of course it would cost more than a nice 2018, but much more style. And it would hold its value better. AND, no more miles than I drive anymore, I believe I could get by with collector car insurance.
 
Messages
613
Location
Utah, USA
Yep. My vehicles range from 14 years old to nearly 29 years old. They're all reliable - I wouldn't hesitate to send my mother cross country in any of them. Saves me a boatload of money over buying new(er). I have better things to spend my money on.
 
Messages
3,647
Location
Worst Case, Ontario
There's no moral superiority in driving old heaps. the new cars people drive could be old heaps to them, it's all relative. I see people commuting in exotic cars when I work uptown. Old cars are far superior and would be more numerous if gas were cheaper. They are morally superior to new cars!
 
Messages
1,374
Location
Wisconsin
Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's no moral superiority in driving old heaps. the new cars people drive could be old heaps to them, it's all relative. I see people commuting in exotic cars when I work uptown. Old cars are far superior and would be more numerous if gas were cheaper. They are morally superior to new cars!
I don't know, the particular old vehicles I've driven got better fuel economy My first car was a 1981 Comutacar, penny a mile to drive I drove my folks 85 Yugo while I was learning to drive And the 82 Diesel Suburban I drove was always mid to high 20's after we put in a 5 speed stick, could hit 30 at 55mph My fathers 1970 Subaru 360 would 60-70mpg without any real effort, especially in the city. Wide open going 75 it would return 50mpg Would love to get a new version of those old cars
 

Zee09

Site Donor 2021
Messages
3,453
Location
Fairhill Maryland
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Zee09
Insurance is cheap for old cars. That is through those that specialize in collector car insurance. I often thought I may just go that way. An older luxury car- gone over of course. Or pickup...
Sounds like you're talking about classic cars more than old cars. Typically those have mileage limitations like 2500 a year. Insurance for me was cheaper on a newer car than an older car. Must have just been the demographics or accident stats on one make/model vs another.
I put in for 9k miles a year and it was cheap. Yep, classic cars.
 
Messages
36,292
Location
ME
If I buy a new car and it breaks down "it could be anything". If the same thing happens in a 15 year old car, odds are, it's on a short list of possibilities. Even if I had King Midas money, my time and aggravation are worth something, and leaving my car at the dealer all day for a tech to trace wiring or whatever isn't convenient. Also, since I drive older junk, I can leave my car running at Dunkin when it's cold out and not worry about it. Cars are the embodiment of freedom; if I had to worry about mine, that would be stealing my freedom.
 
Messages
3,647
Location
Worst Case, Ontario
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's no moral superiority in driving old heaps. the new cars people drive could be old heaps to them, it's all relative. I see people commuting in exotic cars when I work uptown. Old cars are far superior and would be more numerous if gas were cheaper. They are morally superior to new cars!
I don't know, the particular old vehicles I've driven got better fuel economy My first car was a 1981 Comutacar, penny a mile to drive I drove my folks 85 Yugo while I was learning to drive And the 82 Diesel Suburban I drove was always mid to high 20's after we put in a 5 speed stick, could hit 30 at 55mph My fathers 1970 Subaru 360 would 60-70mpg without any real effort, especially in the city. Wide open going 75 it would return 50mpg Would love to get a new version of those old cars
I can think of many 80s cars that are good on gas. I'm talking about 60s-70s American cars that would be hilariously bad on fuel in a factory configuration. Change the 1970 Subaru 360 for a 1970 Chevelle SS396. I've heard of the insane mileage claims of the 6.2s. How is their city MPG? I've always wanted them and 6.2 pickups are still available around here.
 
Messages
10,302
Location
MA
Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's no moral superiority in driving old heaps. the new cars people drive could be old heaps to them, it's all relative. I see people commuting in exotic cars when I work uptown. Old cars are far superior and would be more numerous if gas were cheaper. They are morally superior to new cars!
I'm not even sure what you mean. Older cars have worse emissions and with CAFE, gas mileage is usually better with newer cars than older cars, although probably not completely true because newer cars also tend to weigh more as they tend to have stuff like multiple airbags, side impact and other safety features. Like some of the newest is a rear camera so you don't accidentally run over a small kid in the driveway and stability control so you're less likely to lose control. It's why cash for clunkers was a good idea, but it had a poor implementation.
 
Top