Anyone downsizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous to 2006, I drove a 2002 Taurus and my wife had a 2003 Escape. When the Escape's lease was up, I bought a 2007 Mazda 3i and the wife took the Taurus. I solely bought the 3 for great gas mileage while I commute.

Hey, she's a stay at home Mom so the Taurus sits most of the time. Plus the 3 gets better mileage than the Taurus and that was the whole point of getting it.

Just compare the following:

My 1991 Mercedes 420SEL: 3,750 lbs., purchased for $11,000 in 2001, 168K total miles, 18 mpg on last tankful of mid-grade +

1987 420SEL purchased as a "parts car" for $2,000 in 2006: same weight, has rebuilt transmission & top end, 178K total miles: runs perfectly, way too good to be a parts car

VS.

2006 Mercedes S550 as tested by Road & Track in June, 2006: 4,715 lbs., base price $85,400, as tested $106,745, reporting "real world" gas mileage of 18 mpg. (premium) on their test.

In 8 years of use between my two 420SEL's, totalling their purchase prices, all maintenance, tires, parts, service, insurance, etc. (EVERYTHING BUT THE GAS!) I've spent less than what they spent on options (ABC $3,900, Premium Package 3 $6,550, ++++++, etc.)

Why would I replace or downsize? If I want to get 25+ mpg on a trip I'll drive the SVX. If I want to average 40 mpg I'll ride the ZX-11D. If I need to get 100+ mpg I'll ride the CT90 Trail!

I just read a MSN article that the national gas price average are going to climb another 30 cents next month because of refineries passing on the skyhigh price of crude oil to the gas pumps. Plus factor in daylight savings time and warmer weather. I'm not downsizing anything right now, but if my sunfire khrapped out. I would be looking for a diesel.

Diesel in Eugene now $3.71 to $3.89 !
Unleaded $3.29 (Costco) to $3.59 !
I got 31.59 last tank in around town driving. 2006 Scion xB auto. M-1 5W30 EP. 32 lbs in each tire.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I just read a MSN article that the national gas price average are going to climb another 30 cents next month because of refineries passing on the skyhigh price of crude oil to the gas pumps.

So that's the excuse of the week? I like my bull feces with whipped cream. How about all you?

I sold my Cummins Turbo Diesel and bought a Toyota Yaris!

Went from almost $4.00/gal to $3.50/gal and over twice the MPG's.

Love it.

Running AMSOIL 0-20w.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
I saw this gas crunch coming years ago, and many of you did too I hope. I replaced a 2006 Mustang with a Toyota Yaris, and now I get 45mpg highway. It's even an automatic.

I prefer to save my $$ and buy more condo's to rent out. Since losing my joy years ago, when I use to play with my Tonka fleet of cars, I have decided that cars in general are a money pit, a way to expensive way to stay "fashionable", and I found better ways to confirm my self-worth then up'ing into the latest hot car/truck/SUV.
01.gif

I think that this compulsion for Americans to sink tons of $$ into bigger, faster, more powerful, vehicles in order to somehow fill a void in their Fruedian Id is really sad. Thousands of families all over this nation are destroyed financially because dad or mom feel this sick entitlement to a car or truck that they cannot justify financially, or offers them utility they can never really justify.

Just think how many tens of thousands of $$ most of us have spent over our lifetimes on cars, and often cars that we didn't need to buy, and often we replaced cars that had little or no problems to begin with.

That demon materialism, greed, that compulsion to keep up or surpass the Jones have destroyed countless families all around. I see it every day, on my street, at work. Just go to any nice apartment complex full of renters, and what does one see parked under many of the car ports? Big huge late model trucks, SUV's, Range Rovers, Lexus, Mercedes Benze, BMW's and I just have to shake my head at the sickness that befalls our once fine nation.

Am I the only one? Yea, I too was one of those lemmings but glad to be out of that mode.

So to the point, yea, I have downsized. I want to have a long life full of peace, stability, and options. And at the end of the day, it;s about options.

You only live once.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back