Anyone brush paint suspension parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a car show recently and saw some nice and not so nice classics, customs and restored cars. I was wondering what you guys use to brush paint front end parts etc. when spray or powder coating is not an option.

Ben Moore has direct to metal and industrial maintenance coatings that would probably work well, but I thought I'd ask.

I slapped some black rustoleum onto the bottom of the oil pan on the CRV on my first oil change, it was getting pretty crusty. I haven't bothered to paint suspension parts while they are in the car though, never had any rust out and usually the body looks worse.

POR15 has a strong following for hand painting of frame and suspension. You follow up with a coat of tractor paint or the like.

I plan to use this on my truck after brushing off loose rust...

I knew a guy that brush painted the suspension and underbelly parts with rustoleum fireplace paint. I'm not sure that stuff is safe for metal parts but who knows? I have used it in the fireplace box and on the grill with good results. That stuff is super watery-thin and covers well without streaking.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
POR15 has a strong following for hand painting of frame and suspension. You follow up with a coat of tractor paint or the like.

I plan to use this on my truck after brushing off loose rust...

How about new parts? Do they use the same procedure?

I would think the DTM or some of the industrial coatings would be awesome, although I don't know anyone who has actually tried it.

Someone on here had sprayed Boeshield on the suspension and other parts of their jeep as I recall. Looked good.

I think if they arent really rusty, Id do that. If they are, Id probably consider treating them with something to remove the rust and then spraying/brushing the boeshield.

Whadya mean can't spray or power coat??? If you're truly restoring, it's taken apart and refinished or new installed as the factory would have...

cometengineB4_zps284e5952.jpg

freshpaint_zps7f95dcd2.jpg

comet306dec13_zps62f7ad9f.jpg

cometpslines1_zps765239eb.jpg

Thanks guys I ain't no profinsual but it's decent...

Orig steering system before restore(drum brakes were pitched)...

drumbrakes_zps40c1962d.jpg

A few of the parts either new or in various stages of resto..

cometparts2_zps6b54dbd5.jpg

Steering rebuilt/replaced and detailed...

cometps_zpsc8c2a770.jpg

Fresh disc brakes..

comettorinobrakes2_zpsb6294e48.jpg

Mostly finished engine compartment..

cometengineright_zpsolaxtc8v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back