Anybody think my oil is too thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Honda Accord with a 2.2L VTEC engine with 113,*** miles. The manual calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30. I'm planning on using Mobil T&S 5W-40 starting at my next OCI, (116,000 miles). Does anybody think that this oil is too thick for the engine, or could present any problems besides a small decrease in mpgs? Thanks in advance!

Why don't you perform some UOA's to see which one works best for your engine?

Seems generally that its best to use the thinest oil that protects your engine. That way you get the maximum power and mileage gain, without worries about protection.

I'd imagine the heavier oil you put in the 4 banger, the more its going to struggle to rev up. Heck I notice a difference in my 3.0 V6 vs a 0w-20 and a 5w-30 in revability.

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
I have a 1995 Honda Accord with a 2.2L VTEC engine with 113,*** miles. The manual calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30. I'm planning on using Mobil T&S 5W-40 starting at my next OCI, (116,000 miles). Does anybody think that this oil is too thick for the engine, or could present any problems besides a small decrease in mpgs? Thanks in advance!

I have a Honda Civic 1995-A few oil changes had 10W40 put in by a place. It mostly makes the mileage suffer by 2-3mpg. I checked bill after noticing drops both times.

40W is NOT too thick. Europeans run 5W-40, 10W-40, and quite a few of them run 10W-60 in the H22A. This engine is known to burn oil, so a 5W-40 may alleviate the burning problem and cause it to run smoother. I used 0W-40 in my H22A4 Prelude and it was fine.

Is your engine using a lot of oil? If not, I would stick to a 10w30 for warm months and 5w30 for cold months. Today's better 30 weight oils give plenty of protection with good fuel economy.

I'd want to know how the Honda is used. Long runs per engine start? Stay in the coastal area or head east into the desert? Frequent hard climbs into the mountains? Or more typical urban/suburban commute cycle in a very mild climate?

It looks like you are only seeing 10,000 miles per year. As much as I like Delvac 1 I'd most likely use a 5W30 in coastal WA. Delvac for the long trip hard use, hot temp scenario. Neither oil would damage the engine.

[ March 15, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: tpi ]

A lot, I mean a lot, of us Honda V6 owners are using 5W-30 when they recommend 5W-20 and no problems except mpg is a little less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back