Anybody still using conventional in newer cars?

0W20 has been the standard oil for most cars for over a decade now.

Is anybody still running conventional in cars less than 10 years old? Less than 15 years old?

If so, which car and why do you run it?

0W20 has been the standard oil for most cars for over a decade now.

Is anybody still running conventional in cars less than 10 years old? Less than 15 years old?

If so, which car and why do you run it?
Not true

If there has been any gold standard of weight in motor oils over this past decade and change it has been 5W-20.

Most vehicles that accept 5W-30 or 0W-20 can have it as a substitute

As for conventional oil, absolutely. If the manufacturer hasn't specifically required a synthetic, more times than not conventional motor oil is perfectly fine so long as it meets the specific standards for that engine

I have several jugs of NAPA “blend” that I plan to use in my Mazda that isn’t being driven very much. I would guess it’s more conventional than synthetic.

What do you do with an old car that specs SC, SE, SF or SG or even older, the specs are as old as the car. Even oil that met the manufacturers requirement was pretty poor stuff. I started using synthetics in the early 80's and have not used dino since in anything including OPE in my own cars and equipment.
No engine has sludged, badly varnished, lost an engine from lube failure or lost a turbo, that is evidence enough for me that I am doing the right thing for my stuff.

Funny, white bottle Valvoline that used to be labeld as "Premium Conventional" is not labeled as "Synthetic Blend". I would suppose it is the same for all the other major brands, and Napa house oil to be included with that. Their blueish purple bottle now say synthetic blend. I am sure that in American legalese, 0.01@ has to be "synthetic" to be a blend.

But as to the question, I use a "full synthetic" generally as thee cost really no longer matters between the two, but if cost was a thing, like 10 buck per jug vs 25 per jug, I would not hesitate to use a "blend" in any of my vehicles:

04 tahoe z71. 5.3, 170k
04 suburban 2500, 6.6 LS, supercharged 170k
99 suburban 2500, 7.4 150k
91 yj, 4.0 290k
96 ZJ, 4.0 290k
15 3500 GMC, 6.0 92k
20 2500 hd 6.6 l8T 21k
14 honda recon
18 rtvx900 kubota
17 kx-91 kubota
20 k-008 kubota
21 l2501 kubota

yes I have to many.

one has to think, diesel oil is predominately "conventional"

What do you do with an old car that specs SC, SE, SF or SG or even older, the specs are as old as the car. Even oil that met the manufacturers requirement was pretty poor stuff. I started using synthetics in the early 80's and have not used dino since in anything including OPE in my own cars and equipment.
No engine has sludged, badly varnished, lost an engine from lube failure or lost a turbo, that is evidence enough for me that I am doing the right thing for my stuff.
good point, I wonder how many lubricant related failures there really are.

Funny, white bottle Valvoline that used to be labeld as "Premium Conventional" is not labeled as "Synthetic Blend". I would suppose it is the same for all the other major brands, and Napa house oil to be included with that. Their blueish purple bottle now say synthetic blend. I am sure that in American legalese, 0.01@ has to be "synthetic" to be a blend.

But as to the question, I use a "full synthetic" generally as thee cost really no longer matters between the two, but if cost was a thing, like 10 buck per jug vs 25 per jug, I would not hesitate to use a "blend" in any of my vehicles:

04 tahoe z71. 5.3, 170k
04 suburban 2500, 6.6 LS, supercharged 170k
99 suburban 2500, 7.4 150k
91 yj, 4.0 290k
96 ZJ, 4.0 290k
15 3500 GMC, 6.0 92k
20 2500 hd 6.6 l8T 21k
14 honda recon
18 rtvx900 kubota
17 kx-91 kubota
20 k-008 kubota
21 l2501 kubota

yes I have to many.

one has to think, diesel oil is predominately "conventional"
VWB/Daily Protection 5W20 & 5W30 have been labeled as a synthetic blend in the PDS for at least 3 years or so. AFAIK the thicker ones have always been conventional.

VWB/Daily Protection 5W20 & 5W30 have been labeled as a synthetic blend in the PDS for at least 3 years or so. AFAIK the thicker ones have always been conventional.
I have been peering into the SDS sheets - mainly because I am trying to learn how.

The 10W-30 does not say blend - and appears to be all Mineral oil - but I am new at this so I could be wrong.

The 5W-30 has this - which I believe is GTL?

1685493279375.jpg

What is the definition of "Synthetic" these days?

The stores I go to, sell no dino. I only see Synthetic or Full Syn and Syn-blend (deprecated term on bitog?) ... Unless Syn-Blend means dino or educated dino!

Even the price diff between "10K Miles" Full Syn & Syn-Blend is $2-3 for a 5 qt. jug.

Conventional now is a marketing term like synthetic. Generally speaking until GTL made a big resurgence, you were buying NEITHER in a ILSAC lubricant. Just majority group II and III blends.
I Haven't tried any "conventional" labeled product recently. I just like a good oil - whatever I think that is and today that's usually labeled Fully Synthetic Motor Oil.

Back when QS HM red bottle DEFY was being, sold I ran happily with that.

Your best chance at finding "conventional" (majority group I) is with a HD diesel e.g: Rotella T1 fleet 15W-40 CJ-4 or SAE 30 HD. Even then, I would hazard a guess that anything other than G II stocks are now gone the way of the Dodo. Maybe an industry insider here could chime in.

-Ken

Back