Anybody still using conventional in newer cars?

As a general rule No, I do not use conventional. However, I still have a dozen or so (Chevron Supreme and CASTROL GTX HM) of semi-syn to use up and will use them in newer cars. Over the last 25+ years I have been only buying "synthetics". The firesales of the last few years is how I ended up with semisynthetic (at least they are all SP rated.).

Why not run conventional, if it meets the engine manufacturers requirements?

If 0W20 is the factory spec the OCI will be designed around synthetic.

The valve cover pics also speak for themselves. Unless someone is running extremely short OCI conventional produces a fair bit of varnish.

I don't see a lot of reasons to run conventional (synthetic blend) in newer cars, but I wanted to see if other BITOGers disagree.

I'm not looking to go too deep on the definition of synthetic oil, but if you put Full Synthetic on your bottle there is certain requirements you have no meet. Its not just a marketing term.

Last edited:
I don't think I've even seen conventional for sale in years. Synthetic Blend, yes. Conventional, no. At least not at where I shop.

1685564744474.png

What is the definition of "Synthetic" these days?

The stores I go to, sell no dino. I only see Synthetic or Full Syn and Syn-blend (deprecated term on bitog?) ... Unless Syn-Blend means dino or educated dino!

Even the price diff between "10K Miles" Full Syn & Syn-Blend is $2-3 for a 5 qt. jug.
hahahahahahaha: educated dino! hahahahahahaha best post i have ever seen on this site!

The valve cover pics also speak for themselves. Unless someone is running extremely short OCI conventional produces a fair bit of varnish.

I don't see a lot of reasons to run conventional (synthetic blend) in newer cars, but I wanted to see if other BITOGers disagree.

I'm not looking to go too deep on the definition of synthetic oil, but if you put Full Synthetic on your bottle there is certain requirements you have no meet. Its not just a marketing term.
This industry is mostly self reporting and self policing. The product and labeling requirements are determined by current API Service category, and ILSAC, then layered with particular manufacturers requirements - of which most most should be addressed by ILSAC. Note that ACEA is another animal.

From the 1999 NAD (BBB) determination, one would might construe that that a majority group III (crude mineral oil derived) base oil blend was there and then now acceptable within the industry to be advertised as Fully Synthetic Motor Oil; There are no governing laws per se.

Excerpt from a old BITOG thread on this subject -

The NAD determined that the evidence presented by the advertiser constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Castrol Syntec, as currently formulated, is a synthetic motor oil. NAD noted that Mobil markets hydroisomerized basestocks as synthetic in Europe and elsewhere. NAD noted that the action taken by the SAE to delete any reference to "synthetic" in its description of basestocks in section J354 and API's consequent removal of any mention of "synthetic" in API1509 were decisions by the industry not to restrict use of the term "synthetic" to the definition now proffered by Mobil. Further, the SAE Automotive Lubricants Reference Book, an extensively peer-reviewed publication, states base oils made through the processes used to create Shell's hydroisomerized basestock, severe cracking, and reforming processes may be marketed as "synthetic."

It is very difficult if not impossible to find a truly conventional oil that meets modern oil specifications. The majority of oils labeled conventional are actually syn blends, even if the "lowly" Group 3 syn base that many like to bash.

I’ve used regular oil (conventional syn/blend) for years. Great for a 5-7k oci. I like the new syn/blend because I usually don’t spend more than a $1 a qt on sale.

It is very difficult if not impossible to find a truly conventional oil that meets modern oil specifications. The majority of oils labeled conventional are actually syn blends, even if the "lowly" Group 3 syn base that many like to bash.
Valvoline 10W-30 has no Synthetic as far as the SDS shows and does not say blend on the container - and is rated SP

The 5W-30 OTOH has up to 5% GTL - per the SDS, and says blend on the bottle.

So I presume there blending to get the colder flow rating?

I tried finding other details for other blends but there SDS's are incomplete or confusing. I am not a chemist so possibly its just me.

Valvoline 10W-30 has no Synthetic as far as the SDS shows and does not say blend on the container - and is rated SP

The 5W-30 OTOH has up to 5% GTL - per the SDS, and says blend on the bottle.

So I presume there blending to get the colder flow rating?

I tried finding other details for other blends but there SDS's are incomplete or confusing. I am not a chemist so possibly its just me.
That is interesting about the conventional 10w-30 SP. Thanks for posting.

From the 1999 NAD (BBB) determination, one would might construe that that a majority group III (crude mineral oil derived) base oil blend was there and then now acceptable within the industry to be advertised as Fully Synthetic Motor Oil; There are no governing laws per se.

@Tom NJ recounted a nice moment within the narrative. In their efforts to bring Syntec FSX Castrol to the market, Castrol proudly proclaimed the exceptional qualities of their super duper ester, leveraging the captivating slogan of "unique molecular bonding" linked to this compound.

uniq2.jpg
uniq.jpg

However, upon realizing the absence of certain declared components, Castrol gracefully conceded and agreed to revise the label inscription under the persuasive influence of NAD/Mobil. This particular episode was about Castrol's graceful retreat -

fun.jpg

"unique molecular bonding" turned into "patented stabilizers seek out and neutralize harmful corrosive particles" :)

I drive tons of mileage driving to work. 2k miles a week, highway miles whole way.
With so many highways miles, I use Mobil1ES (20k mile oil) and change it around 7-8 k miles. Plenty of overprotective quality oil.
In 30 years I have never had an engine break down or burn any oil.

I would still use it if I could get it. But I just use blends or synthetic now in my stuff. In our newest car you couldn’t use conventional anyway as it specs an 0W-20 which is only available in blend or synthetic. I haven’t seen the blend for awhile though so it maybe just synthetic now. I just switched. I won’t state my belief about synthetic oils because it will cause too much here but I don’t particularly care for them. I just had to start using them except for in my really old stuff.

I would still use it if I could get it. But I just use blends or synthetic now in my stuff. In our newest car you couldn’t use conventional anyway as it specs an 0W-20 which is only available in blend or synthetic. I haven’t seen the blend for awhile though so it maybe just synthetic now. I just switched. I won’t state my belief about synthetic oils because it will cause too much here but I don’t particularly care for them. I just had to start using them except for in my really old stuff.
You can still buy 0w20 in a synblend. Think Honda or Ford made or make it.

My ford specs 5w20 and that’s what it gets. Don’t care if it’s conventional or blend or synthetic. Marketing stil sells I see.

Back