Anybody own 3 cylinder Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Fiesta 1.0
or Focus 1.0
or Fusion/Mondeo 1.0 cars:

Do you like the three-cylinder design? Any oil consumption issues? Turbo issue?

I've had one for over a year. Really like it. Amazing technology for an economy car. No oil consumption issues. Time will tell if it is durable. Fuel economy is outstanding particularly around town and below 70 mph.

I have 24,000 miles on my 2015 Focus 1.0 hatch (manual). Love it. Smooth and quiet. Almost never get under 40 MPG in the summer, and that's mostly metro driving within 20 miles of my house. I've broke 50 MPG twice, but 45-47 MPG is pretty standard on road trips doing the speed limit.

Zero oil consumption that I can detect. Engine has been perfect so far.

Last edited:
Love the idea, too far in college debt atm to imagine such a cool motor and new car.

The liter ford turbo is one of the the cars I will be watching in the next years for the preowned market as a DD

I haven't seen these Fords but they sound great. I owned 3 Geo Metros with 1 liter 3 cylinder gas motors, 5 speed manual transmissions. 2 of which I bought new. The ones I bought new ran for 185K and 186K miles before they rusted to death. And they only cost $8000 new. As far as dollars per mile goes, these were king.

The one got 43-47 mpg depending on the season and the other got 47-49 mpg in mixed driving. The latter got 52 mpg on the highway. They were throttle body injected BTW.

One of them never used any oil but the other used about a quart in 1200 miles by the end of it's life. I'm not sure how much was leaking and how much was going out the exhaust. It looks like Elio Motors is going to use the same engine in their new 3 wheeled car if they ever produce it.

COMPLETELY USELESS ADDITION....

I drove all over Sweden in a Subaru J-10 (called a Justy in No. American market). Smooth 3 cylinder vehicle.

Never knew the displacement nor calculated the fuel consumption.

I was a "pre-BITOG" slug back then.

I Had a Chevy Metro - it was great, it had a Suzuki 3 cyl motor, ran real good. sold it with 45,000 miles on it and bought a New Chevy S-10 4 banger 2.2 liter for my landscaping jobs..

I know I'm getting old when the first thought after seeing "3-cylinder Ford" is a tractor, not passenger car.

Or a Yugo- now that was a 3 banger- the mpg of a semi truck.......... Junk
I liked reading the Ford testimonials though..... nice!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I know I'm getting old when the first thought after seeing "3-cylinder Ford" is a tractor, not passenger car.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
I Had a Chevy Metro - it was great, it had a Suzuki 3 cyl motor, ran real good. sold it with 45,000 miles on it and bought a New Chevy S-10 4 banger 2.2 liter for my landscaping jobs..

I think the 3 cylinder woulda been more powerful than the 2.2 in the S10!

I do not own one but I always watch this segment and I like to checkout the latest things... I did a bit of reading on the 3 cyl offering (Focus only) and it would appear to me as if it's not really worth the money. You have a price premium to get the 1.0 turbo but you lose almost 40HP so you end up suffering in performance, for barely better mileage, which I can only assume can actually be worse depending on how hard you are on the 1.0 trying to wring performance out of it.

I think it's a great idea, but I haven't really been sold on these low displacement turbo engines for utmost fuel economy. If you're in boost, you're using more fuel, if not, you're probably saving or breaking even.

I would go with the 2.0 without even thinking about it.. It's cheaper and more powerful.

But again I only say this because I have been doing some reading and research on this offering... I just visited this page the other day: http://driving.ca/ford/focus/reviews/road-test/car-review-2015-ford-focus-se

My experience is that I get noticeably better MPG than Focus 2.0 owners on fuelly.

Other benefits of the 1.0 are that it's the lightest and best handling Focus (outside the ST and RS). It also comes standard with the 6-speed manual which, in my opinion, is the best transmission in the line-up.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I do not own one but I always watch this segment and I like to checkout the latest things... I did a bit of reading on the 3 cyl offering (Focus only) and it would appear to me as if it's not really worth the money. You have a price premium to get the 1.0 turbo but you lose almost 40HP so you end up suffering in performance, for barely better mileage, which I can only assume can actually be worse depending on how hard you are on the 1.0 trying to wring performance out of it.

I think it's a great idea, but I haven't really been sold on these low displacement turbo engines for utmost fuel economy. If you're in boost, you're using more fuel, if not, you're probably saving or breaking even.

I would go with the 2.0 without even thinking about it.. It's cheaper and more powerful.

But again I only say this because I have been doing some reading and research on this offering... I just visited this page the other day: http://driving.ca/ford/focus/reviews/road-test/car-review-2015-ford-focus-se

You are aware that the 1.0 Ecoboost Focus is the replacement for the 1.6 petrol Focus not the 2.0?

Performance wise it would seem, according from the road test I have read and watched, that it performs better than the 1.6 but has better emissions and economy.

Ford says the 1.0L turbo in the Fiesta puts out 123 hp. Wow. It doesn't list the weight of the vehicle on the website.

For comparison, the Geo Metro Hatchback weighed about 1800 lbs and had a 1.0L that put out 55 hp.

52 mpg driving on freeway at 55-60 is very doable. I've gotten 70 mpg @ 50 mph for a few miles. Silly good economy although at 75 mph it drops to 39 mpg. Will I recover the $700 premium or increased turbo repairs down the road? I dunno but will have fun finding out.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Or a Yugo- now that was a 3 banger- the mpg of a semi truck.......... Junk
I liked reading the Ford testimonials though..... nice!
It had a 3 cylinder engine? never saw one in the UK where they sold for several years.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Three and five pot diesels have been around for many years. The Gardner 5 cylinder engins was the powerplant for the ubiquitous London Routemaster Bus for many years.
Three cylinder diesels have been fitted in small tractors since at least WW2

Claud.

Interesting that you guys can get Focus with the 1.0. It's only available here in Fiesta and EcoSport (CUV version of Fiesta).

Our Focus comes with the 1.5 EcoBoost and a "real" auto trans - PowerShift has departed, thankfully. 6 speed manual is also available. Can also get Focus ST with the 2.0 turbo, and RS with the 2.3 turbo, both with a manual trans only
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Interesting that you guys can get Focus with the 1.0. It's only available here in Fiesta and EcoSport (CUV version of Fiesta).

Our Focus comes with the 1.5 EcoBoost and a "real" auto trans - PowerShift has departed, thankfully. 6 speed manual is also available. Can also get Focus ST with the 2.0 turbo, and RS with the 2.3 turbo, both with a manual trans only
smile.gif

You can get the 125bhp version (it might be PS) in the Ford Mondeo in the UK, I assume you can get it throughout Europe aswell.

Due to the complexities of Euro 5 and Euro 6 Diesels it would appear the manufacturers may be moving towards small petrol engines to reduce emissions and get decent economy

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/90502/new-ford-mondeo-zetec-10-ecoboost-review

Last edited:
Yes, we're seeing the gradual introduction of small displacement petrol engines here, but it's been a pretty tough sell so far. Aussies, much like Americans I suspect, have a preference bigger engines, even though these days more capacity doesn't necessarily mean more grunt. Mondeo and Focus are both poor sellers in Oz, so I doubt we'll see them offered with the 1.0 any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back