Anybody know about BG ATF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for specs on BG Universal Synthetic ATF. Yes, I still have not pulled the trigger on an ATF fluid change for my Jaguar X-Type with the Jatco. I would like to find a fluid that is meets ATF IDEMITSU K17 (Jatco 3100 PL085) specs.

One dealer would will not change the fluid as they said they did not know how, the other wants $ 400.00, heck for that price, I will just put the money to an extended warrenty.

The more and more I search the web, the more and more it looks like this IS a sealed unit javascript:void(0)
pat2.gif

No, not sealed. Just another wannabe. Thats why the fluid spec is so important. Its not an issue if you plan on ATF maintenance. Stick with a blend or full synth HFM ATF.

You need to reference the FSM in order to check the fluid level correctly. ATF temp measurement in most new cars is a must when checking levels.

If a dealer doesn't know how to service a transmission, I would avoid that dealer.

I just can't understand that so few have done this on this auto. I have been searching for over a year now and while others have chimed in on what to do, I have yet found 1 other owner that said they changed the fluid with great results and not voided the warranty.( dealer $ 400.00 does not count if you ask me ) Yes I checked the Jag sites and 3.0 Rebuild blog, but they are void of solid data. This is sick. Check out AMSOIL website for a 2003 Jag X-Type. They will not even put a blessing on it. Does that count as a HFM ATF ?
Of all the ATF fluids on this board, This one is the black sheep of the crew, we will not even talk about the Jatco fluid itself. Unless I can get some real life data, I am gun shy to change. It is looking very sealed to me. Dealer wanted $ 33 a quart . yeah, I don't think so.
crushedcar.gif

porkfarm,

Both the 2003 Jag X-Type and the Jetta/GTI (02-05) used the identical Jatco JF506E Automatic Transmission. Verify with www.transtec.com. That's where I received my information.

The fluid for the 09A (JF506E) transmission is available under VW part # G 052 990 A2. It is available for $12.05/L from www.germanautoparts.com. Even with shipping, it's about $15/L, much less than the $33/L figure that the Jaguar dealer was giving you.

Hope this makes your job easier!

Thanks for your help, but I did read somewhere that the Jatco box is the same, the fluids are not. Land Rover also uses the same and has a 402 fluid. I did contact a few online tranny shops and they have all said... Jaguar Fluid only Even Red Line gave me this.

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the X Type uses a special ATF and we unfortunately don't offer a cross at this time.

If my tranny does go south after a change, I would like something to back me up other than saying .. well, a few guys on the computer said it was ok . Know what I mean ?

Oh. I did have a Jetta tdi with the same tranny.. at 60K it was getting slushy and missing shifts every now and then.

It is certainly possible for Jatco's unit to be compatible with a few different fluids. Or, the fluids may be identical but merely sold under different label.

Take GM's 5L40E for example. It was used in BMWs for a number of years and was filled with Esso LT71141 fluid. GM used the identical box in a CTS and a few earlier models and filled them with Dexron-III.

I would suggest giving Jatco a call and having the exact transmission model # ready. Get the same Jatco transmission model # from the VWs that I mentioned as well, and ask the rep if using the VW labeled fluid would be safe. That's your best bet.

That Jatco transmission has had issues with solenoids that cause poor shifting. Solenoid failure doesn't seem to be terribly uncommon and is certainly a do-able backyard job.

Doesn't Nissan use JATCO trannies, since Nissan owns a good chunk of them? If that Idemitsu fluid cross references to Nissan-Matic K, I would use that...

Thanks everybody.. I also thought about the Nissan-Matic k fluid and do have the PDF file for the solenoid trouble shooting on the box. This is just a strange issue, but back to the question. Does anybody know about BG transmission fluid ? Looks like a full syn MercV type. I might use that as they have the flush machine.

BG

Supposed to be pretty good. Only stuff we have at the shop is their stuff for Manual Trans. For auto's we just use Mercon V with the flush and additive.

Seems great. No problems so far at all.

Ask a local BG Products Sales Rep to get you a copy of their Spec and Tech Sheet for BG312, their Universal ATF. It is rated for use in the following transmissions and is formulated to be an equal or superior quality replacement for: Dexron IIIH, Mercon/Mercon V, Allison C-4, Mopar ATF+4, Nissan Matic D-J-K, Madza, Honda, Acura, Toyota Type T-IV, Lexus, Hyundai, BMW, VW, Audi, Mitsubishi SP3, Mercedes-Benz, Saturn, Suzuki, Kia, Subaru, Isuzu, Jaguar, Volvo, and Land Rover. BG Products, Inc. offers a free 150,000 mile Protection Plan that will cover repair costs if you use their trans service thru a professional shop on a 30,000 mile drain interval. It's a great deal from what I've heard. The only exclusions for use with their BG3124 Full Synthetic ATF are hybrid CVT's, Mercon SP fluid, and Toyota WS ATF.
ooo.gif

Hi, Porkfarm

My father owned 2003 X-type 2.5 with auto tranny.

I change tranny fluids when it show 15000 KM in February 2007( my father rare use this car ).

It is very difficult to find these fluids ( mercon V ) in my country Indonesia. The highest spec in here just Dexron III.

I think its crazy to believe that Jatco fluids call itself lifetime.

When I open Tranny plug 24hex if not wrong, fluids come out about 4 litres from tranny pan. What makes me surprise that fluids color was not red but nearly magenta or maybe almost black.

Somebody called himself as Karl maybe in roadfly said that when you look the color of fluids change from red to almost black then you should throw away that tranny. Well, I don't believe that statement.

From my search at internet, the ONLY available fluids in my country that equivalent to Jatco is Esso LT 71141.

So, i bought that odd fluids for $17 per litre. ( available at BMW service centre )

First time I bought 10 litres and use flashing machine to exchange fluids.

After that add more 3 litres from the rubber cork below battery case.

If you want to make sure the correct oil level, you must drain and make sure only 4 litres in pan (do it after you drove about half to 1 hours).

Dont be surprise if amber lights come out (gearbox fault), I was when only 10 litres feed, first I add only 1 litre. but when re-drain again its only 2 litres available then I add 2 litres, So 4 litres in Pan

Now, its been 17000 km and there is no problem at all

Smooth shift and better MPG are the only effect.

Wanna try???

The Esso should work out to be a good substitute. It is a blended synthetic HFM'd long life ATF, which is probably very close to what your Jag needs. Its seems expensive. What did Jaguar dealers want for the Jaguar ATF?

Nissan, Subaru...dealers should also have a similar ATF at better prices. Castrol Transmax-J, Idemitsu ATF-HP, Nissan Matic-J, should be looked into and might save you money at your next fluid change.

Since some JATCO transmissions are notoriously weak, I would consider time or mileage based intervals. Dumping the factory fill ATF at 15ooo km was smart simply because it was already ~4 years old.

I also hear driving habits are very tough on vehicles in Indonesia. Heavy traffic will beat ATF quickly. ~15ooo-3oooo KM flushes would be a good habit to start.

thanks Dabyood. You count yourself as one of the few, if not one of the only to do the drain and refill. I was going to have a shop do the BG flush, but they chickened out when I told them it was a sealed unit and asked if they had the tool to measure the temp and level. I think I might do the drain and refill myself when the weather warms up. I know the location of the fill plug, but just a bit unsure about the drain. I know it's a bolt then the hex to drain, but still unsure what bolt. If I pick wrong, I remove the reverse drum and trash the tranny on the spot. My plan was to drive it a bit and drain and measure and replace the same amount of fluid that came out with fresh fluid. Or do I wait to see if this tranny dies and get a new one for free ?
Up to 100K that is.

Jaguar dealers wont sell that fluid, they said not necessary to change the fluids because its lifetime.

I don't trust them. everything that connect to the dealers was very expensive for life in here.

I change everything to aftermarket, for example filters, sparkplug, even a motor oil.

It is strange that they recommend SAE 10w/40 ( castrol Magnatec) for X-type, I switch for my self to Havoline 5w-30.

They spec 5/30 over here. Say's it on the oil cap. I was using the havoline, but now I use German Castrol 5/30 ( it was on sale ) car loves it. yeah I noticed that mazda 6 web site years ago. trust me I spent hours and hours with google and the word Jatco. Weather is getting warmer so won't be long before I hop under and give a peek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back