Anybody ever hear of Dual Clutch Transmission fluid having a shelf life?

Over in the mid engine Corvette forum, someone noted that the AC Delco liter cans of dual clutch transmission fluid were dated with a future date. Which led to the question of whether the fluid had a shelf life, in the can. The fluid itself says it is made in Germany, and I suspect is a rebranded Fuchs or Pentasin manufactured fluid.

It made no sense to me that the fluid could go bad in an unopened can at normal temperature. I speculated that maybe it had a date so that if the formulation were changed by the manufacturer over time, the purchaser would be able to determine that it was an up to date formulation.

Anybody ever hear of transmission fluid with a shelf life?

I would have to believe as you stated the original formulation may change. The last two Corvette generations have certainly had their share of automatic transmission problems. Hopefully these new fluids and triple flushes etc. will cure any problems.

does that mean it has a shelf life in the vehicle too?
everything probably has a shelf life, but should you be concerned about it? probably not.

I would think that they would track formulation changes with revision levels or spec numbers. Putting a future date on a product doesn't imply anything associated with a formulation.

I'm curious how long we're talking about. Is the fluid so special that we need to start being concerned with that now?

does that mean it has a shelf life in the vehicle too?
If it does and you don't follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, then it's on you. Almost all services intervals have a time and mileage interval.

Here is a picture of the dates described on the actual containers

C81FD2A0-F03D-4AEC-9052-0D71DBB37888.jpg

Back