any way to fix the tecumseh govenor shaft leak?

i have an tec enduro 5.0 hp engine on a pressure washer. i bought it on 1994 and use it every once in while. it has developed the oil leak from the govenor shaft. every time i use it it leaks a oil from it. reading online seems to be a common problem. seeing there are so many out there, i would think someone would have come up with a fix, but so far have not been able to find one .

anyone know how to fix it ? other than tossing it?

You got a hardened steel shaft going thru an aluminum case. You know what is going to wear out. I never seen any seals associated with that shaft. Long shot but you might want to check that the breather is not obstructed creating excessive crank case pressure.
I am assuming you are not overfilling with oil.

Last edited:
While I don't have any knowledge about this engine but they commonly have a seal on that shaft. If it does not it would be an easy enough repair for a machinist but it will require disassembly to cut a place for a seal and sleeve to fit.
Check the FSM which are available in a pdf online in many places for the location if the seal if it has one.

Edit: Here is one it may include yours, you will have to check the engine number.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/Techumseh-L-Head-Engines-Manual.pdf

You got a hardened steel shaft going thru an aluminum case. You know what is going to wear out. I never seen any seals associated with that shaft. Long shot but you might want to check that the breather is not obstructed creating excessive crank case pressure.
I am assuming you are not overfilling with oil.
Have you ever gone into a big box store and been blasted with hot air right at the door? This creates, via physics, a barrier that keeps the inside and outside air from mixing.

Similarly, I expect the PCV system, such as it is, on this thing is designed to keep the oil in the engine even without a traditional seal.

thanks for the replies. i have taken it apart and checked the pcv and its clear. oil level is correct. i think machining it would be cost prohibitive.

I am pretty sure there is no seal on these shafts. Just how loose is it in the bore? And just how much oil does it leak. If just a few drops, just wipe it up when done using it and keep on trucking.

The shaft has to move very easily, almost float to govern the speed. A seal would introduce a small amount of friction on the shaft and not allow that much ease of movement. The last Tecumseh I tore down had no seal for the governor shaft.

The shaft has to move very easily, almost float to govern the speed. A seal would introduce a small amount of friction on the shaft and not allow that much ease of movement. The last Tecumseh I tore down had no seal for the governor shaft.
100% correct!! you cannot put a seal as the weights and springs would need to increase. What is happening is that you now how "blowby" that you did not have when the engine was new. Switch to 15w-40 and see what happens.........Or put in new piston rings.

Back