Any updates on Continental ProContact EcoPlus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone here owns a set of these tires, I'm interested in how they've done over time. They look to be very impressive tires, and available at pretty reasonable prices. I will need tires within the year for our MDX and I've been eyeing these.

(I would have put them on our CR-V, but they were out of stock everywhere at the time I was buying.)

Im interested to know as well. These are on our list though Im leaning towards the Primacy MXM4...

Seems kind of funny to pay all the extra gas and mass for AWD, and not have a more aggressive tire...

Can you get BFG A/T tires in the right size? Off road traction and a snow tire rating!

I have zero desire to put A/T tires on an MDX. We had BFG Long Trail T/A Tours on it before the Cross Terrains, and even those were too loud and too rough.

A/T tires are usually much heavier than street tires and are usually far less efficient. I'd lose far more gas in A/T tires vs. street tires than I do in AWD vs. FWD. I'd also wreck the on-road behavior of the vehicle. Good street tires will provide a good ride and good handling year-round.

Yeah but AT tires go better with the SUV lifestyle
wink.gif

Its too early and Im too tired... bad attempt at humor...

Definitely am looking forward to any reviews... IIRC they rated pretty well at TR.

They've performed very well in every test that I've read. But I am curious how they've lasted for people. They have an 80,000 mile rating. I certainly wouldn't expect to see 80,000 miles with these under a 4,500 pound SUV, but maybe they'd surprise me. They do come in the proper size, proper speed rating, and proper load index (P235/65R17 103T). They're available at a very reasonable price.

I'd normally buy Michelin or Bridestone, but I'm just not excited in anything they have in this size. I'd normally buy the Michelin Latitude Tour. But the MLTs in this size have a very squared-off and blocky tread shoulder, which I don't care for. If they were like the MLTs on our CR-V (with a very rounded shoulder), I'd be more interested. I prefer the more progressive nature of tires with rounded shoulders; I feel they ride and handle better in off-camber situations.

The Michelin I would buy (and am still considering) is the Primacy MXV4. It comes in this size, but it's an OEM fitment for the new Honda Odyssey. As such, it has a lower UTQG treadwear rating (500 vs. 620) and I certainly don't think they'd see the 60,000 miles for which the treadwear is warranted. I would expect no more than 50,000 miles out of them, and at such a mileage, the cost/mile would be too high.

hokie, is there a revo2 in your size? or in a nearby size? surely there might be!

I will offer this absolutely shameless plug.... there were quite a few nights where I'd solo (no buddy system) my -2wd- cherokee into the woods on these old paths up in the hills. just me. windows down. in the dark, with a [censored]-load of aux lights on, just tut-tutting through the woods. some spots would be slick, some clay, some rocks and clay, some wet leaves over logs. there were places where I'd have to romp on it to get up a rutted hillside... these tires did great. didn't get stuck, they didn't lose knobs, and they were very sure-footed. the A/S they replaced didn't stand a chance. on road, they drove like a dueler HL, with a bit more white noise. they didn't hum/whine, but they did have "rolling noise." They tracked well, no bad manners at speed, and you could throw a corner in them if you really had to. 2mpg loss.

you pay more than general grabbers, less than kevlar GYs.

you can see where my opinions are. I've read too many statics on QC defects and go-backs on the conti's until a good set is finally found.

Got two in 205/60 on 15x7 Borbets on the front of a Camry. This was a nasty winter and they worked well in the rain and snow. At about 17 K on them I see very litle evidence of wear. They run at a higher slip angle than Tourng TAs in the same size, but are quiet. I got the pair via internet, neither required more than one small weight. The local repair shop where I had them mounted and balanced (and which does not sell tires) said they have put on a number of them and the feedback is good.

We have a set since last year on the Yukon Denali XL AWD. These are very quiet and have been great this winter (lots of snow).
Handling seems better than the Michelin that was on there prior to these, significantly less roll in curves.
Wet, dry and braking are all good with these.

Longevity i cant say, these only have 6K one them but it cant be any less than the Michelins which only lasted 50K on this vehicle.
I had Continetals on the old expedition that wore like iron bars.

+1 on the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. I will be getting these installed on my Accord next week!!!!
I was really stuck between these and the OP's Pro Contact and Pure Contact eco plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back