Any Truth to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Many "Racing" synthetic brands are ok for short term protection and reducing drag but many are moly based (contain molybdenum or aluminum disulfides - extreme pressure additive) which do not react well with moisture and must be changed frequently (not meant for motor oils). Oils containing "Moly" are especially corrosive to copper. These oils often contain a copper deactivator that will temporally protect the bearings but this combination quickly decomposes at relatively low temperatures and is totally useless in as little as 3000 miles. They may also leave a graphite like residue which will quickly clog filters and other passages. Their chemistry philosophies do not have long term equipment protection in mind. These oils have recently been banned by Cummins. (Cummins Engine Oil Recommendations, Bulletin No. 3810340-02) Honda Motorcycles also recommend avoiding Moly based synthetic oils."

Is this the other Moly?
dunno.gif

Buster I think that the used UOA of M1 in many applications (non-commercial gas) past 3000 miles proves that that bulletin by cummins may not be the entirely accurate. To make matters worse their their are alot of conventional oils that have large amounts of moly in them. I think that if they do not want you to put them in their engines their might be something we do not know about or they are not telling us. I doupt that M1, Redline, Pennzoil Long life, Schaffers Moly bond, 7000,.... &c. would use moly in their formula's if they thought it was going to open the door to litagation from bearing failure. I also noticed that Cummins did not specify wich type of moly it was talking about as their are several types.

Buster,

When you post somebody else's quote, please always give the source and also the date if available. This quote you posted may be out of date and is certainly missing several points or just plain in error.

Ken

Sure no problem, I wanted to leave it out because it came from an Amsoil website, which makes sense. Dealer website that is. I usually do but I didn't want to kick up any dirt.
smile.gif

It's strange because even when I asked Amsoil HQ awhile back about Moly, they gave me the same response. Someone wrote how they are stuck in the 70's. They didn't know what Moly I was refering too. They also said when they tested the new M1 SS, it didn't have any Moly in it.

[ June 14, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Hmmm... "micron moly". (I think I dated her sister, "Magnificent Maggie" - two differently endowed gals you couldn't imagine...) Does that terminology imply that the moly in the designated Cummins-tested Schaefer oils is dispersed as a fine particulate suspension and not in true ionic solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back