Any Towing Reviews with New Tacoma V6 Manual 4x4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never want a manual in a truck. They may be more reliable but for off-roading etc., not fun.

Originally Posted by buster
I'd never want a manual in a truck. They may be more reliable but for off-roading etc., not fun.

I'd have to agree. Maybe in a small truck not being used to the gills, used more like a car, that'd be ok. But after not having a manual for a couple of years I don't find I miss it as much as I thought. There's definitely times but they certainly are easier to drive.

Toyota had a bad run of 5MT's in the Matrix, and I want to say Jeep had some bad ones too. I had a VW flywheel give up after 250k, and of course a clutch is technically a wear item.

The torque converter on an auto should give *better* launch due to torque multiplication. And don't all autos lock-up, now?

I've owned nothing but manual transmission vehicles. It's second nature and as long as my knees/legs don't give out I plan to continue the trend.

Anyway, I'll have the truck for about a week. I'm going to take it into the mountains and see how it does.

Videos/review to come.

Please understand that I like "rowing (or rolling?) my own (gears)". Having said this I firmly believe the A/T is superior for towing - and if my use of the truck REALLY involved towig I would buy the A/T version for sure. 'Cuz: i) the 6 spd (?) A/T by virtue of having a torque converter that is not locked most of the time when under load effectivel gives the transmission 'way more "speeds" than just six. This keeps engine in a happy efficiency place (i.e. RPM) much better than the relatively wide ratio 6MT. The stock 6MT is nothing close to an 18 speed RoadRanger in terms of being close-ratio!; ii) the unlocked torque converter is a "cush-drive". The 6MT is decidedly not. Cushdrive is easier on the equipment; and iii) 'real easy to cool and to micro-bypass filter the A/T. Not so the 6MT.

Yes, torque convertors are all lock up now. In my "ancient" Tundra though it will only lock up in gears 4-6; 3rd gets used a lot. Sure, when above stall speed slippage is reduced--but that generated heat is energy not being used to accomplish anything--it's a waste of power.

That slippage isn't that large enough a %, I would not consider it "adding" gears to the transmission, other than for takeoff gear.

You also don't get something for nothing. The torque multiplication only exists when there is a large speed differential between in and out, and in that region of operation is where large amounts of heat is generated (meaning lots of lost power too). Once under way, ideally it'd lock up and stay locked up. Letting the transmission stay in too tall of a gear and then letting the torque convertor do the work... drives me nuts in my truck. I often will kick it down a gear so as to keep the rpm above 2k.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Again the difference towing wont be enough to matter unless you want a manual.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As an avid Rver, the only manuals I have seen in RV Parks/campgrounds are Dodge RAMS with the Cummins driven by somebody in their 70's.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Again the difference towing wont be enough to matter unless you want a manual.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As an avid Rver, the only manuals I have seen in RV Parks/campgrounds are Dodge RAMS with the Cummins driven by somebody in their 70's.....

And RAM finally eliminated the 6-speed manual option in the redesigned 2019's.

When I was looking for a truck to pull a heavy 5th wheel, I seriously considered a truck with the Cummins and G56 6-speed. The problem was the engine was tuned for less power in that application, and the tow rating was also much less. Yes you can get more power out of the engines, and people overload their manual trans RAM's all the time. That presents it's own issues with emissions, warranty, etc.

I eventually went with a Dually with the HO Cummins and Aisin 6-speed auto trans. It's rated for more than I'm towing, and it does a great job.

Initial impressions:

1. Ride quality is great. Rides more like a car than a pickup truck with off-road tires and suspension.
2. TRD Exhaust drones and is annoying, but sounds good (for a V6.)
3. Has more power than expected in the lower RPMs. Pulls good all the way to redline, however it's not fast at all. My Dakota is probably quicker.
4. Feels like an old 90s Toyota pickup truck with updated looks and tech. I like it, some may not.
5. Good turning radius, parks like a car. Fits in garage.
6. Has typical rev hang between gears. However in 5-6 the RPMs drop quick.
7. Sometimes when rev-matching, nothing happens. As in, you blip the throttle and the engine stays at idle. Annoying.

No issues with seating position, and it was comfortable on a 2-hour drive. Voodoo Blue looks great in sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back