Any Towing Reviews with New Tacoma V6 Manual 4x4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find any legitimate reviews of a new Tacoma V6 towing with the manual transmission.

Here's what I am thinking: Yes, the new V6 requires you to rev higher. However, with the manual, there are less driveline losses compared to an automatic. As we all know, the Toyota automatic likes to keep RPMs low for efficiency, even though the powerband is higher up in the rev range.

I saw a dyno of the new Colorado, and it only put down 194 HP and 200 TQ to the tire. That's pretty awful. Now I know every dyno is different and what not, but that's still a huge loss in power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JCkERNV0A

Here's the diesel version on the same dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-qKXmPs0yM&t=192s

The diesel put down pretty much the exact HP that it's rated at. 180 HP and 365 TQ to the tire.

And here's the Taco with the manual trans on a Dynapak, putting down 232 hp and 234 torque to the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgpSd2HM8qE

I don't know, I just think the Taco might not be so bad with the manual transmission. Anyone want to loan me one so I can make a 5000 lb. towing video?

Not enough to matter. 10 to 20 percent at most. Likely only 15. Modern automatics are great. In most cars and I will use my f-body for example the difference was .2 to .4 tenths in the 1/4 mile and maybe 20 to 25 hp at the wheels. You are towing not racing. The automatic makes it nice and easy. How much better do you think it will be? Not enough to worry about.

If you want a manual because you like rowing through the gears that is great. Not a lot of manual anythings in the campgrounds. Heck a lot of semis are automatics now.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Not enough to matter. 10 to 20 percent at most. Likely only 15. Modern automatics are great. In most cars and I will use my f-body for example the difference was .2 to .4 tenths in the 1/4 mile and maybe 20 to 25 hp at the wheels. You are towing not racing. The automatic makes it nice and easy. How much better do you think it will be? Not enough to worry about.

If you want a manual because you like rowing through the gears that is great. Not a lot of manual anythings in the campgrounds. Heck a lot of semis are automatics now.

Debatable. The GM 8 speed is one of the worst transmissions of this decade. I'm not convinced their 10 speed is any better.

Did you see those videos I posted, how much power that 3.6L Colorado lost, where the diesel put down what it was rated for?

Is the drivetrain loss between the auto and manual Taco your only concern? That is negligible, at best, between the two. The auto in ECT mode acts more like a manual anyway. I can understand wanting more control but any drivetrain loss (which will be very minor between the two transmissions) is more than mitigated with the ease of operating the auto. I wouldn't recommend using the cruise control on the auto, though, hahaha. Mine behaves pretty well towing nearly 5k lbs in S4 with ECT activated. I have no desire for a manual in any situation, actually, quite the opposite.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Originally Posted by ls1mike

Debatable. The GM 8 speed is one of the worst transmissions of this decade. I'm not convinced their 10 speed is any better.

Did you see those videos I posted, how much power that 3.6L Colorado lost, where the diesel put down what it was rated for?

That is one truck with no details corrected? Altitude, stabitrak off. That stuff matters.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wNTuW3gZc_E
Baseline 254. (At least what I can read on my phone)I smell something fishy with first one.Which is close to 20 percent.

Last edited:
Also be wary of all these internet dyno numbers. Different machines, weather, altitudes, knowledge of the testers, etc. I'm sure ls1mike can elaborate. Half of the dyno operators I've run across can't even get a true reading on a modern automatic, plus they're always trying to sell a product of some sort. I've seen a 550 rwhp auto car outrun a "700 rwhp" auto car recently. Found out later the 550 car was done on a mustang dyno and the 700 car was actually tested in the wrong gear.... This stuff is easily fudged. I can tell you there's no way a V6 Tacoma gets a 5k lb load moving better than a diesel Colorado. Not happening. After they are moving it might be a different story but I wouldn't expect any difference in a manual and automatic Taco in that department. I'd wager the automatic could stomp the gas and beat the manual in a towing drag race every time.

I tried to tow a small aluminum trailer carrying a Miata on it with my '97 Tacoma w/ Supercharger and URD 7th injector setup. It was marginal at best, terrible in hills or with a headwind. A newer Tacoma is probably a bit better, but I'd be wary.

Does Toyota even offer the V6 with a manual gearbox? I can't even configure that option on their web site.

I ran into someone from a local off road club that tows a Jeep on a trailer with a 3.5 / 6 speed Tacoma. Says it tows great. And we all tow through the hills of PA, so that says something

Did you see those videos I posted, how much power that 3.6L Colorado lost, where the diesel put down what it was rated for?[/quote]

That's GM doing its homework as usual
18.gif

However, with the manual, there are less driveline losses compared to an automatic...
I don't know, I just think the Taco might not be so bad with the manual transmission.

Not true any more. The automatic is just as efficient as the manual. It even gets better gas mileage. Also, towing with a manual is hard on the clutch. The automatic is the way to go especially when towing.

The Tacoma can tow decently. I recently saw a couple of Tacomas towing dual axle camping trailers no sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back