any thoughts on two budget cuv's?

Looking to purchase a newer car for my wife after we pay our taxes this year, so we have a few months to search.

Want to spend about $15k or so on a vehicle. Her Scion is worth about $5k in trade, and we will put down $5k-6k and take out a one year loan on the car and pay it off.

She wants a CUV/SUV that has a little higher ground clearance than her Scion and has good head room.

I want FWD, non turbo, non CVT trans.

We are actually looking at a 2018-2020 Mitsubishi Outlander or Outlander Sport. Looking for one with the six speed auto not CVT and non turbo engine. I think that configuration is not available in Outlander Sport model.

Both models built completely in Japan.

Another car we are considering is Jeep Compass, with four cylinder FWD configuration.

I know there are great cars to consider such as RAV4 but it is most important to me to get this thing paid off in a year and be ahead financially.

Any other vehicles we should consider?

Ford Escape fwd with the 2.5 engine. The platform itself is reliable and the 2.5 is rock solid.

Avoid the 2.0 eco and especially the 1.5/1.6 those are dumpster fires. The 4 cylinder ecoboosts are both prone to getting coolant in the cylinders which requires engine replacement. Which I'd assume you will since you're requirements were non turbo but sometimes people tend to lump all vehicle issues together and miss out on a great vehicle if you just skip the ****ty engine.

The Outlander Sport might have the 6 speed Invecs automatic. I would double check to make sure. Another option would be the Mazda CX3. It has the 6 speed SkyActiv automatic. Assembled in Hiroshima.

How long do you plan to own? I wonder if the Mitsu makes more sense for 5 and done, but perhaps brand new. Warranty and all. Or leased even. Comes down to all the numbers and the particular goal. Lowest cost up front, lowest TCO, longest term of ownership, etc.

It sounds like you want to be ahead financially? Is that more or less important than a better car? Just trying to interpret your goals here. Am wondering if suffering for another year while saving up would do the trick--might not be possible if getting into a "better" vehicle is actually more important.

Rust isn't an issue where you are, right? Anything wrong with going a bit older, say out to the 5 year mark? I don't think I've heard good things about Compass.

I believe Mitsubishi will be around for a while to come. If they go out then parts should still be available from someone, somewhere. Their death has been predicted for a while, yet they just won't die. Plus that can help drive down the cost on the used market.

I believe Mitsubishi will be around for a while to come. If they go out then parts should still be available from someone, somewhere. Their death has been predicted for a while, yet they just won't die. Plus that can help drive down the cost on the used market.
I've wanted to try a Mirage 3 cylinder, but even a 2018 is still $7-8K.

Thanks all,

Did not know about consumption issues on the FCA 4 cylinder.

My current vehicle is a 16 Escape S model with 2.5L base. Wife wants a different car for herself.

Rust is no issue here at all. Mitsu seems to be picking up steam here in South Texas lots of folks buy the cars. They are virtually non existent when I went to New York to see my family.

We have 3-4 Mitsu dealers around San Antonio.

I've wanted to try a Mirage 3 cylinder, but even a 2018 is still $7-8K.
I thought you could buy wholesale? I would guess, after a short period of time, the love affair would be over--it's a dinky car after all. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a cheap rollerskate of a car, and toyed with getting one a few years ago, but I do too much highway driving. Lately I've wondered though, probably because of being cooped up at home.

Thanks all,

Did not know about consumption issues on the FCA 4 cylinder.

My current vehicle is a 16 Escape S model with 2.5L base. Wife wants a different car for herself.

Rust is no issue here at all. Mitsu seems to be picking up steam here in South Texas lots of folks buy the cars. They are virtually non existent when I went to New York to see my family.

We have 3-4 Mitsu dealers around San Antonio.
Well I guess I was just preaching to the choir about the 2.5 then!

I wasn't aware a current model Mitsubishi SUV was offered without a CVT. Since you said no CVT and no turbo your options will be limited. As others have already said the previous gen Ford Escape is available with a N/A 2.5 engine and 6 speed auto (those autos aren't the pinnacle of reliability) but the base Escape with the 2.5 should serve you well. My choice given your requirements would be a Mazda CX-5.

A RAV-4 would be the ultimate ticket for reliability but you have to pay for it on the front end.

$15k is a weird price when looking at budget vehicles, in my opinion.

If you shop well, and slightly stretch your budget, you could get into a brand new vehicle for $15k + TTL
I like browsing cars.com and autotrader.com and sorting by price, for a new SUV - that will give you a list of ones that can be bought new, for your price +/-
cars search

Hyundai Kona? #1 #2 assuming those aren't bait and switch prices
Nissan Kicks (gotta get over the no CVT thing)

Last edited:
Although it doesn’t meet any of your criteria

If you shop and negotiate the
2020 Chevy Trax brand new 0 miles $9995
2020 Equinox $14,999 brand new zero miles

Get the extended warranty and dispose after it expires

The Outlander is available with a six speed automatic if you get the V6 GT model, hard to find but they are out there. Pretty dated vehicle but some people don't car, if price and reliability is the main focus I can see why you are looking at Mitsubishis.

As an aside, while I am not a fan of CVT's either the ones Mitsu uses have been reliable from what I read and hear. If you are even pondering an Outlander Sport, I would suggest the Eclipse Cross. Much more updated, same price and size more or less.

Although it doesn’t meet any of your criteria

If you shop and negotiate the
2020 Chevy Trax brand new 0 miles $9995
2020 Equinox $14,999 brand new zero miles

Get the extended warranty and dispose after it expires

This just isn't realistic for most people. I see post like this on BITOG too often, these prices are often not attainable.

Back