Any scrap guys in your area?

Always feels good to see my junk being picked up from the curve by a picker/less affluent on trash night. If someone can get value out of something I can't (without significant effort) AND it stays out of a landfill that's a good thing!

I'm confused as to how the thieves just hopped in this guy's truck and drove away. Also confused on why they decided to stop at a BW in Tacoma when they were almost at their destination.

The problem is, there is no safe place to park a set up like that. The CG base is downtown and that’s a horrible place with no accommodations.

There is a scrap yard about ten miles northeast of us located on the Nebraska Central RR. that buys scrap. I think most of their scrap goes by rail to Nucor Steel in Norfolk,NE. A subsidiary, Vulcraft, manufacturers open steel beams like you see in Walmart stores.

shop or home?
There's an industry and there's some industrious individuals.

Two different ends of the scale. Along w/'take off your hands" and 'cash on the barrel head' for items by material (pig iron v pot metal, etc, etc). We have all varieties - may B due to being in the 'country'. No odd ball rip offs, nefarious charicters, etc~

For me? it's all good as the above keeps it out of the waste stream (for when U throw it away - where exactly is "away"?). We get paid regularly for cats'n rotors (industry); mufflers, struts, etc get cleaned out whenever they guys show up. Once'n awhile (shop slo time) we load up (in sections: alu in 1 section, blocks/heads etc in another, etc) and take it 45 min away to the same ol, same ol (1 of 4 or 6 in near by metro). The income is helful but I like the idea of recycling. 2 things on that front: reduce plastic, do not use #s 3 - 7 (the lill triangles on bottom of consumer bot/tubs/jugs) as they R hazardous when left to degrade in the open; and remove garbage from waste stream (40%) as U pay to have it hauled @ trash price volum/weight and it contaminates all the other stuff (recyclables) and can go to compost (black gold:$) reduce ur trash haul cost. All the "trash' can B sorted and taken free or U can get paid 4 it...

Covid showed there's still a role fr the "watermellon man" - home delivery (we had: iceman, postman, dairy, shoe repair, movers, tinkers, repairman, etc). It's just in a different guize today - '*****ing' corporations - Ami Zone.

We do. We take our own scrap metal though. We like money from it no matter what amount money is money. We have those ones that will come around and collect anything at the curb too. Doesn’t bother me cause in my opinion anything at the curb is fair game. The scrappers have tried to buy our vehicles too but we won’t sell those. Not for the lowball prices they offer anyway.

Around here it's just your run of the mill tweekers doing all the scrapping for their next fix.
That's what we have, there's one guy with a pedal bike with one of those tow behind kid carts. Always has a radiator or something sticking out of it, I always wonder where he's stealing them from. Also a lot of catalytic converters being stolen lately. It's a small town but someones been busy with the sawzall.

Back