Any scrap guys in your area?

Around me, it’s now either a father and son team or 3 younger guys with mid 90’s Ram 4x4 reg cab truck with trailer. The father and son team came to me yesterday. They even wanted my steel coffee cans and soup cans and metal ends from grease tubes. I gave them couple Gatorades. Nice folks. Other guys are ok, they hit the local Butler Gas place next to me and the local machine shop down road from me. How many scrap guys come around your neighborhood or area?

Around where I live we would be slightly suspicious of these types of guys coming to our homes. We have been hit with them checking out our homes/barns so they can return later and swipe items. Sad but true. It pays to be very careful.

there are several around my area, i have only used two of them at different times. Both came to me highly recommended as far as being on the up and up...no monkey business

Around where I live we would be slightly suspicious of these types of guys coming to our homes. We have been hit with them checking out our homes/barns so they can return later and swipe items. Sad but true. It pays to be very careful.
The guys come up and knock on my door. They ain’t dumb as Butler Gas has lots of cameras pointing around. They are respectful folks.

My neighbor put a washing machine out this morning (Sunday), tomorrow's regular trash day. The city will take these big items on Wednesdays.
Anyway, it lasted about 2 hours before somebody came along and loaded it in their truck.

Around me, it’s now either a father and son team or 3 younger guys with mid 90’s Ram 4x4 reg cab truck with trailer. The father and son team came to me yesterday. They even wanted my steel coffee cans and soup cans and metal ends from grease tubes. I gave them couple Gatorades. Nice folks. Other guys are ok, they hit the local Butler Gas place next to me and the local machine shop down road from me. How many scrap guys come around your neighborhood or area?

This sounds like you have somehow transported back into the 1940’s and the collectors were coming around getting steel for the war effort.

As for present time, around here you leave anything out it will be gone in a flash.

PimTac: I recall my grandparents telling me and brother that they even collected bacon fat, grease, tinfoil from gum wrappers, nylon stockings during WWII. Our town even donated cast iron canon barrels and brass canon barrels for the war effort

In my neighborhood, if you leave scrap metal at the curb, an old pickup will come by and take it.

Once my father asked me if I wanted a metal cabinet, I said .... 'no'
He then asked his next-door neighbor who said .... 'yes'
The neighbor never came to get it, so my father placed it at the curb.
In the middle of the night, the neighbor woke up to a garbage-picker taking the cabinet.
The neighbor yelled out his bedroom window, .... 'hey, get out of there, that's my cabinet.
The neighbor came out to confront the garbage-picker, who by that time was gone.
The neighbor jumped in his pickup and went looking for him, .... where he found him on the next street.
Both guys started arguing so loud, they woke-up people on that street, who called the Police.
The neighbor never got his cabinet.

My father said to me, .... "why didn't he just take the cabinet when I offered it to him".

Last edited:
PimTac: I recall my grandparents telling me and brother that they even collected bacon fat, grease, tinfoil from gum wrappers, nylon stockings during WWII. Our town even donated cast iron canon barrels and brass canon barrels for the war effort
1943 .... pennies were made out of steel with a zinc coating.
Copper was needed for bullets.

My neighbor put a washing machine out this morning (Sunday), tomorrow's regular trash day. The city will take these big items on Wednesdays.
Anyway, it lasted about 2 hours before somebody came along and loaded it in their truck.

Geez about a year ago I put a dryer out and it sat there until the city picked it up. Had to pay $25 or wait until bulk pickup...

Geez about a year ago I put a dryer out and it sat there until the city picked it up. Had to pay $25 or wait until bulk pickup...
Your neighborhood must be too nice. Over here in the slums anything metal I put out on a Saturday morning is gone within 20 minutes!

Not too long ago a guy came to my place asking about a mower I had in the front yard, me & my wife gave him the mower, some copper, a nonworking air conditioner & a few other pieces of metal we had lying around, he said he basically lives off the money he makes scrapping metal, I'm happy we could help the guy out.

My specific subdivision tends to get skipped unless you're one of the driveways that are directly on the street and not a cul-de-sac; but we area surrounded by houses so there's a lot of scrappers around. They're usually considerate and polite; the only bad thing is their 1990s F150 doing 30mph in a 45mph with the back sagging like crazy. Anything that looks of value, metal, bookcases, mattresses, tend to get picked up hours after people put them out for trash. All good with me.

Just one recent example.

I'm confused as to how the thieves just hopped in this guy's truck and drove away. Also confused on why they decided to stop at a BW in Tacoma when they were almost at their destination.

A fellow in a van would pick up metal from various work sites. We'd help him out.
We'd remove things the 'shop' wanted and leave a pile for him. It worked at our end.

His extremely overloaded van was truly something to see. I wondered if his tires would pop due to the weight of the metal.
One day a well dressed police sergeant pulled in front of his parked van.
He politely told the guy to leave, empty his van and have it inspected and properly registered or he'd be arrested the next time he was seen.
No doubt the guy had been warned before.
The cops wouldn't've put on a show like that if they didn't want his story and circumstances out in the light of day.

It was a case of a known neighborhood guy who was liked and cooperated with but who'd grown slack with his DMV paperwork.
I never saw him again.

In a way too bad as he did provide some service.

Back