Any RUSH Fans Here, Ay?

RUSH is one of my favorite top 2 bands (IRON MAIDEN being 1st). I saw them in concert twice, in the 80's, when l used to burn the forest down!
cool.gif

Anyway, Neil Peart, being the BEST drummer on planet earth, left us too soon. That man could play some drums. He was lightning fast, but very clear with his playing.
I only own 2 of their cds, but IMHO, they are 2 of their best;
Moving Pictures

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
RUSH is one of my favorite top 2 bands (IRON MAIDEN being 1st). I saw them in concert twice, in the 80's, when l used to burn the forest down!
cool.gif

Anyway, Neil Peart, being the BEST drummer on planet earth, left us too soon. That man could play some drums. He was lightning fast, but very clear with his playing.
Moving Pictures

Yes, you have named two of the best bands ever
thumbsup2.gif

Neil Peart, being the BEST drummer on planet earth, left us too soon.

He was a really good drummer, But not the best in my opinion.....

1. Vinnie Paul (Pantera)
2. Chris Adler (Lamb of God)
3. I'll put Neil Peart here, Even tough his overcomplicated style & tone machines aren't my cup of tea.

There have been several Rush threads here recently (most recently I recall was the passing of Neil).

I have listened to Rush since I was about 12 years old (Moving Pictures), and have loved them since.
I kind of quit listening in the mid 90's to mid 2000's, but started listening again around 2008 (Snakes and Arrows). Never got to any concerts after '89. Almost went to R40 (brother had an extra ticket he was going to give me, but his wife decided to go last moment).
I have recently started to get into their older stuff (Hemispheres has really been on my play list, especially Cygnus X-1, and have always loved La Villa Strangiato).
I have also started listening to more of the 90's stuff, there are a few there that are really good as well.
I can listen to Moving Pictures all day long (it is the CD in my truck right now, the only CD as a matter of fact), and even my kids know most of the songs (daughter actually likes Limelight).

I just got Spotify Premium and one playlist is all Rush. My favorite playlist.

The amount of musical talent these 3 guys had is amazing. Neil is a drum master and his lyrics are on several levels, Geddy plays bass, keyboards, foot pedals, and sings and writes the music with Alex, who is an under rated guitar player. Saw a video talking about how good Alex was at playing both rhythm and lead guitar at the same time, while allowing the bass and drums to take the forefront when needed.
None of them had an ego, and were just three guys that liked playing music and hanging around each other. They had the freedom to explore their musical quests, and had some hits and misses, but overall was a big hit.

I will say I am not one that say "they changed my life" or "their lyrics saved me". Most of the time I don't really pay attention to the words in songs or their meaning, (no matter what band), even on my favorite album (the above Moving Pictures) I have no idea what Geddy is saying in some parts of Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta. Don't really care. I have been mumbling what I think he says for almost 40 years, no need to learn now.

Big Fan here.

And by the way, HUGE Maiden fan as well. Some of the smartest business people in the industry. Plus, they all have such interesting lives, outside of music.

One of the biggest concert regrets on my part. I believe it was 1985, and Maiden/Ozzy played the Mecca in Milwaukee. Parents quickly said '[censored] no'...

Last edited:
My all time favorite. I like a lot of rock music, but Rush is on an entirely separate plain of existence. When I bought the Hemisphere's cassette in 1980 in 8th grade, my music life was determined for me:) The earlier Rush albums also influenced my perception on society/politics. I am not a blind fan boi. I love this band more than most could ever attempt, but I did not like Snakes and Arrows or Clockwork Angels. Flame suit on!

cool.gif

Moving Pictures

Actually Rush had a string of consecutive awesome albums...Fly by Night, 2112, a Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves were all excellent albums...after that I didn't care for any of there later albums, though Tom Sawyer was a great song...

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Neil Peart, being the BEST drummer on planet earth, left us too soon.

He was a really good drummer, But not the best in my opinion.....

1. Vinnie Paul (Pantera)
2. Chris Adler (Lamb of God)
3. I'll put Neil Peart here, Even tough his overcomplicated style & tone machines aren't my cup of tea.

That may be your opinion, but I believe Peart was the best, as many other do as well...

Originally Posted by grampi
cool.gif

Moving Pictures

Actually Rush had a string of consecutive awesome albums...Fly by Night, 2112, a Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves were all excellent albums...after that I didn't care for any of there later albums, though Tom Sawyer was a great song...

At one time or another, l have owned ALL of their albums, tapes, cd's. WORKING MAN has got to be one of their most characteristic songs of all time.
RUSH' music has touched everyone in some kind of way or another. As a youth listening to their music it brought me somewhere in which l can't explain!

I'm listening to one of their compilation albums right now (Icon), but I can't say that I'm their avid fan. I like a few of their tracks, and that's about it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Saw them twice, one was Roll the Bones tour...not sure about the other. Both were solid. One of my favorite CD's is A Show of Hands - excellent musical quality for a live recording.

Longtime Rush fan...I was that avid nut in high school that made everyone else who liked the more mainstream stuff roll their eyes. Peart was as good as it gets, and the music those three guys could generate was amazing.

I liked the early stuff, from the first album all the way through Moving Pictures which is where they peaked for me. Signals was nowhere as good and I am oblivious to much anything else they did after that.

I am not really a concert goer, but one of the few I saw was Rush, would have been around 1984.

Wow - talking music on a motor oil site! Excellent! I've been a drummer for many years and actively play in a couple bands. We do weddings, parties, gigs, etc.
Making money while having fun is pretty awesome. I love it!

I had a chance to have lunch with Neil in Boston, I want to say around '87/'88. He was very reserved, humble and precise. Very nice guy!
It was only for an hour or so, but was a true highlight in my life I'll never forget. Too bad we didn't have cell phones with selfies back then.

Oh Boy, the best drummer question. There are going to be a million answers on the worlds best drummer!

I think if you ask a real drummer that question, you'll likely not get a definitive answer. In the case of Neil Peart, after years of playing with Rush, he felt stagnant and sought out a drummer/instructor by the name of Freddie Gruber for lessons. Imagine that, Neil Peart taking drum lessons! If you watch some of Neil's drum solo's after spending time with Freddie (90's+), you'll notice he changes his grip from match to traditional for certain segments. It's pretty cool.

For me, Neil was always a source of inspiration and I can tell you I have every Rush drum score stored in my footlocker.

In addition to Neil, my most influential drummers on the jazz side were Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Max Roach and a few others.
Rock & Roll..well, of course John Bonham, Moon, Dave Lombardo (Slayer), Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix), Terry Bozzio, Glen Sobel (Alice Cooper), and many more!

The best part about being a drummer is that it's so dynamic. I love playing jazz and I love playing rock. If you listen to Slayer, you wonder how Dave can keep those fast bass drum beats like a metronome. Crazy! Then you listen to Buddy Rich play Nutville and it blows your mind too.

Anyway, getting back to the topic, Neil is right up there as one of my favorites and one of the best.

Live and breath all things Rush. Been to every concert since 2002 in DFW, OKC and Tulsa. He made me a much better drummer that resulted from me playing in garage bands to auditoriums in the 80's as warm up acts for bands like INXS, Quiet Riot and Katrina and the Waves. Now the best drummer statement. This will be continually debated for decades. The thing that makes Neil the best is what all he's done. When you listen to songs like Jacob's Ladder, Trees, Natural Science....listen to the the time signatures. I challenge any drummer to play Jacob's Ladder perfectly, especially the second movement when Alex starts off in 7/8 and Neil goes...well....just goes. He was doing this way before any other drummer at that time. Way before Dream Theater kind of genre. Also, if you listen to the words and where his fills are, or no fills are, it's an exact match. You feel it naturally needs to be there. It's a perfect fit. He structured all those parts. Sat down and did the math on time signatures and created those fills that feel in perfect sync with the song. Neil didn't just ride out 8/16/24 bass drum, double pedal fills. They all had just the right amount to express the movement of the song. Other drummers from that time period, not so much. You have to listen closely, his finess on all those drums is simply majestic. I can actually hear the drums singing certain parts. His use of dynamics was also non-existent during that time period. Of course, after that time period, other drummers have studied Neil and used a lot of his techniques. One drummer in particular that stands out is Mike Portney from DT. You just can't compare Neil to him now. It's all about then and what was going on at the time and the differences he made versus what other drummers where doing. To me, it's a no brainer and there is no comparison. Now, one who really got the short stick...Alex. His guitar playing is unmatched by anyone. It wasn't all about shredding, but when he did....look out.

Back