ANY reccomended off shelf oil for protecting CAM on ‘86 305?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A full saps European oil would work well. 0W40 will provide faster oil circulation on cold winter days which is a plus.

Why does it need protection? I thought 305 (and similar) wiped lobes due to bad heat treat. Wouldn't a new cam and set of lifters avoid all that?

Penn grade. Most speed shops carry it

86/7 was first year for roller cam in most car applications...trucks stayed flat tappet a little longer

If it is going to lunch a cam due to poor metallurgy it is going to lunch it. Otherwise, this is not a high performance high spring pressure application with aggressive ramps, it doesn't need any sort of extra "protection" like a race engine might.

Stock old cam and what engine?

slight boosted zdp doesn't help . Some always wore fast.

If you are still confused and you want to pretend to prevent the cam wear, Run a motorcycle or ATV 4T oil. Mucho mucho zdp. Readily available. They are API SH rated usually.

VR1 syn is decent too 10w30 flavor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If it is going to lunch a cam due to poor metallurgy it is going to lunch it. Otherwise, this is not a high performance high spring pressure application with aggressive ramps, it doesn't need any sort of extra "protection" like a race engine might.

This
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

This
thumbsup2.gif

+1

If it's a stock 305 any modern oil will work (10w30). Who would hop up a 305? HOWEVER, if it was mine I would run a HM (High Mileage) oil and stay away from any oil with the "Starburst" or "ILSAC" certification. They are intended for modern vahicles. If you really want to dig down look for an oil with high ppm of Boron and/or Moly. Having to run high ZDDP in a well broken-in flat tappet cam is a myth.

I’m assuming this is a stock engine with the tiny stock 305 cam. With low lobe lift and very low over-the-nose spring loads, any modern SN engine oil should be just fine. Don’t worry about spending lots on specialty oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

This
thumbsup2.gif

Times two. Replaced a bunch of them when I was doing auto repairs. The cams had poor metallurgy (soft)

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Any oil on store shelves these days with zinc protection for ‘86 Chevy 305?

If you really think you need a lot of ZDDP, Mobil 1 15W-50 has it and it explicitly claims to be for flat tappets among other applications.

A good modern synthetic 5W-30 could be fine. I wouldn't go with conventional 5W-30 because of possible shearing. Other options are Mobil 1 0W-40 or Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 if xW-30 is too thin for this car or oil consumption is high.

Unfortunately, the CK-4 HDEO's no longer have a lot of ZDDP. I would go with a PCMO, which is formulated to protect the gasoline engines better, including in the wear department.

I always recommend to be wary of the boutiques with small blocks. It's not that they aren't suitable. VR-1 is cost effective. You go to something costing $12+ a litre, you start spending an awful lot of money, given the ease and low cost of parts for the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back