any reason NOT to switch to Verizon from AT&T network?...

Strange that Comcast is able to fix outages (caused by the same Verizon contractor that hit the Verizon cable that they took 4 days to repair) in a few hours. They must recruit from a different labor pool.
My old next door neighbor was a comcast tech, when our wifi started acting up he brought us a new router. When that didn't fix it he said - yeah our service does that for a lot of customers. Comcast is terrible in my area, all of my neighbors hate them because we all got sucked into their low price promos. Lived with it for over a year until I couldn't take it anymore, their techs are incompetent.

Verizon had spotty coverage when we hiked Yosemite a few years back. Friend that had ATT had good coverage. Switched over and haven't looked back.

Honestly... for every person that dislikes Verizon, there will be another that loves it. Pick you poison.

I've had a Galaxy A50 (4G LTE only) with Tracfone/VZW for about a year now. I use only my home wifi while there because cell service at my location is unreliable from any carrier. In my metro area, calls-texts have never been a problem. Data is sometimes iffy but I don't use much so not a hindrance. Sometimes good-sometimes not good even from the same locations. A road trip last year from NW Ohio to NE Oklahoma was also pretty good, The return was a flight thru CLT and DTW...also no problems.

I will likely continue with Tracfone when I get another phone, but I probably won't buy another one from them. A 1-year old model would be okay but two years old or more is not. YMMV, especially if a dumberphone is all you want.

My old next door neighbor was a comcast tech, when our wifi started acting up he brought us a new router. When that didn't fix it he said - yeah our service does that for a lot of customers. Comcast is terrible in my area, all of my neighbors hate them because we all got sucked into their low price promos. Lived with it for over a year until I couldn't take it anymore, their techs are incompetent.

Pretty much ALL of the Comcast outages I've had were caused by Verizon contractors digging up cables and then I had one outage caused by a fiber optic line getting damaged because the pole it was on was hit by a vehicle. That same fiber optic line also feeds the Sprint (now Tmobile) tower near my house so my Sprint phone data wasn't working because of it.

Many cellular towers are fed with Comcast fiber. That includes Verizon's towers.

Aside from outages due to damage, my Comcast works just fine.

thanks for all the replies...some went pretty far off the reservation but I appreciate all your answers...there are only a couple areas where my AT&T coverage doesn't work and I know others with Verizon does work but that is rare...my only reason to change is that the SIM card will be free right now and will cost me that minor amount later when it becomes mandatory unless I switch carriers...

again, thanks for taking the time...I appreciate it

Bill

thanks for all the replies...some went pretty far off the reservation but I appreciate all your answers...there are only a couple areas where my AT&T coverage doesn't work and I know others with Verizon does work but that is rare...my only reason to change is that the SIM card will be free right now and will cost me that minor amount later when it becomes mandatory unless I switch carriers...

again, thanks for taking the time...I appreciate it

Bill
Sounds like you should accept the sim swap if you're decided on sticking with tracfone. Either way get the free sim and if you decide changing later on it's no real loss.

Had me curious so I had to look up that area but it's not on the way we go between SW Ohio and Myrtle Beach
Yeah, but there's quite a few interesting places around that area . Greenbriar comes to mind, an FBI/CIA installation, you know, stuff like that.
I only went that way once to the Outer Banks from SE Ohio. It was a fun trip, beautiful scenery, but some tough driving for sure. You could check to see if your tail lights were working on some of those mountain road curves! ;)

It was a fun trip, beautiful scenery, but some tough driving for sure.
My wife and I drove from SW Ohio to Virginia Beach when we were younger, meaning we worked during the day, got home, finished packing up, and headed out by 6-8pm for a 10+ hour drive in the middle of the night. That route would have taken us closer to the "radio free zone" that you referred to but worse, it was pitch black (only lights were vehicle lights), twisty roads up and down the mountains with drop-offs. We saw these on the drive home, during daylight, and thought "not doing that again!".

Att has a robust network I've never had issues when I was on it.. currently on a shared vz plan with the wife. But yes switch when convenient for you. If they're giving you time let the clock burn.

If you're not afraid of change you can always switch off to another mvno or prepaid. Cricket wireless and now boostmobile run off ATT that's if you're happy with the Att network there is alternatives to ride Att network and not hurt the pocket.
(Thought I was responding to a post linking ATT to Boost. Must have responded to the wrong one).

When I left Boost last summer for Mint, Boost was being squeezed and forced to rush TMo replacement SIMs as TMo took down Sprint towers. This as they were trying to get their own 5G service going. How did ATT get into this mess? BTW I have TMo home wireless and Mint is one MVNO that beats the parent company in speed. At least at my house. Best $240 a year I ever spent as long as I don't die in my anniversary month. They don't refund.

(Thought I was responding to a post linking ATT to Boost. Must have responded to the wrong one).

When I left Boost last summer for Mint, Boost was being squeezed and forced to rush TMo replacement SIMs as TMo took down Sprint towers. This as they were trying to get their own 5G service going. How did ATT get into this mess? BTW I have TMo home wireless and Mint is one MVNO that beats the parent company in speed. At least at my house. Best $240 a year I ever spent as long as I don't die in my anniversary month. They don't refund.
Not sure why att is getting involved with boost mobile. Probably interested in the wireless spectrum that dish owns. I’m sure there’s motive to the madness.

Your coverage varies compare to others. Only you can tell if you will get better coverage with V than ATT. There was one area my wife used to work (somewhere off near the coast in South San Francisco) where only ATT has coverage at least 10 years ago, so we had to switch from all sorts of networks (V, T, etc) to ATT in the end.

Check your local coverage map and ask someone who has V to your area to check out the signal.

Just was on the news today today that Verizion has announced rate increases across the board...

It all depends on where you live. In MY neck of the woods, AT&T and Verizon pretty much have equal coverage. T-Mobile is very spotty. Personally, I have never dealt with worse Customer Service than AT&T.

Back