any reason NOT to switch to Verizon from AT&T network?...

Verizon didn't show up till Tuesday to fix it.

They left all of the landline customers on that cable without service on Friday. Saturday. Sunday. Monday. And part of Tuesday.

Doesn't seem acceptable to me.
10 years ago, I had a problem with my Verizon land-line.
I filed a work report on their web-site and it showed they would be out in (7) days to fix it.

I then filed a complaint with the New York State Public Utilities Commision.
The 'next' morning, Verizon was out to fix it.
Later that afternoon, a Verizon employee called me to ask if it was fixed, and to call him if I ever have a problem again.

I guess you just have to know who to complain to.

Personally, we've had VZW for ~20 years and the only time we encountered signal issues was when crossing the Appalachians between WV and VA.
I'm pretty sure that route (250?) takes you through the National Radio Quiet Zone. No kidding. You're even supposed to turn off CB radios!

10 years ago, I had a problem with my Verizon land-line.
I filed a work report on their web-site and it showed they would be out in (7) days to fix it.

I then filed a complaint with the New York State Public Utilities Commision.
The 'next' morning, Verizon was out to fix it.
Later that afternoon, a Verizon employee called me to ask if it was fixed, and to call him if I ever have a problem again.

I guess you just have to know who to complain to.

Would never happen in Virginia. By the time someone at the State Corporation Commission got around to looking at your complaint, Verizon would have already fixed the problem, even if it took them 2 weeks.

Wife and I have TracFone with AT&T service , at my home AT&T works best for use. My neighbors have Verizon and complain about their service at times. AT&T works best for me at home.

As a recruiter for a mid size company that hires blue collar workers I can all but guarantee that this is because Verizon does not have enough employees to go out and fix things like this. It is the new reality and we just have to accept it.

Strange that Comcast is able to fix outages (caused by the same Verizon contractor that hit the Verizon cable that they took 4 days to repair) in a few hours. They must recruit from a different labor pool.

I think it depends on your area. I've been on Verizon (cellular) for about 30 years and only dropped one call in that entire time. That's including trips from Pittsburgh to FL.
Yes, they can be relatively expensive, but I really get excellent service and good customer support.
My neighbor lives in Charlotte and makes the trip here to his winter home frequently. During his visit last month he asked me about cell service since he's been having all kinds of issues with AT&T. Of course I suggested Verizon. Verizon also has a new "lower cost" service that they rolled out around 2020. Not many have heard about it since the pandemic hit about that time. I forget the name right now, but I'm sure a quick search will tell you.
My current plan (not the cheap one) 2 Cell phones/ 2 gig shared data w/rollover/ military discount (vet), $91.00/mo.

BTW, nobody is maintaining copper very well any more. You can't imagine the AT&T mess they have around here with their copper equipment.

I'd worry more about the actual coverage at the places I use my phone before worrying about much else. That will vary, period.

I use ATT as their coverage is better at the places I frequent. I've had reasonable assistance from their customer service both via call in and in store. Friends use Verizon and say the same thing.

Network coverage is good. God help you if you have a problem and need to speak to an actual person. I have had to spend HOURS on the phone trying to resolve problems.
I don't want to jinx myself and it's also been a while since I've had to call them but when I have in the past, their customer service was beyond excellent !

I'm pretty sure that route (250?) takes you through the National Radio Quiet Zone
No idea what "route 250" is. The lack of coverage was simply because it was mountains. Maybe it's because no one was allowed to build towers due to this zone too though. No idea....

No idea what "route 250" is. The lack of coverage was simply because it was mountains. Maybe it's because no one was allowed to build towers due to this zone too though. No idea....
Exactly. It includes the Green Bank Radio Telescope location.

Primarily, I would go by coverage in the areas you frequent. All the big companies have hit and miss customer service, as well. We recently switched from Verizon due to cost and the cost of upgrading phones. Went with Total, still have the Verizon network at a fraction of the cost and they had great deals on a couple phones

with the recent purchase of TracFone by Verizon, I have gotten an email to switch my AT&T network iPhone over to the Verizon network for use with my TracFone account...I've had very little difference going from an AT&T account to TracFone using the AT&T network but there are some minor coverage issues when using the AT&T network (just as there was when using the AT&T network with my AT&T account)...

does anyone see a downside with going with the new SIM card from TracFone and switching my service from the AT&T network to the Verizon network???...I have already confirmed that my iPhone SE (2) is compatible and I have a couple friends who use different phones on the Verizon network in the ChicagoLand area with no admitted issues but I'd like to ask here as well...

from the research I've done thus far, supposedly Verizon is better than AT&T for 4G and that is what my phone is capable of currently...for future, I've read that Verizon is catching up to AT&T for 5G or whatever form is above 4G but that shouldn't really matter to me for the foreseeable future...

Thanks for any information you care to share...Lastly, TracFone tells me that the change will come whether I make the decision or not but not until near the end of 2023...

Bill
It depends on your area.Some years ago, ATT was very spotty in the DC metro area so I had Verizon which worked very well. When I moved to WV, ATT was the only one to have. I've had ATT service thru Straight talk(it depends on your zip code) and it has worked well here and traveling all over the country. You might check T-Mobile/Sprint as they have really expanded their service area. They have 5G here in WV. Nobody else does.

Dunno.... 🤷‍♂️ I'm only referring to their network coverage.
Having signal is one thing, Network performance shouldn’t be sacrificed because a customer is on prepaid. If they don’t want to provide equal service don’t offer prepaid.

Back