Any Professional Roofers on here?

You may be able to lift the bottom edge of the shingles you circled and see the overlap of the next row down. the shingles may not be stuck/baked together yet.

Oh OK I see what you're saying... that would make sense. I'm not sure how its installed under that row, I was afraid to look and damage something. Hopefully the contractor comes out and shows me this is the case.
I think youre right. My bet would be that they installed the vent with the flange overlapping the top of the shingle in green, then installed ice/water shield in the area in red and then installed that shingle over that and just nailed it on each end.

It looks like a very tidy job

I would leave it alone, if you start lifting shingles your just asking for trouble.

Just to follow up, I went up and pulled the shingle up enough to look and you guys were correct, it is just a cover shingle that was cemented over the flashing of the vent. The vent is installed correctly on top of the first row if shingles as far as I can see.

That looks fine to me. Think about how the water will run. If you put a shingle over the lower fashing, water will be sure to get under it.
There are a lot of opinions as to how much good roof vents in Florida do anyway, but I still like ridge vents.
One of the issues you would run into with ridge vents here is high winds, and the accompanied hurricane worthyness.

They also use a lot of that sticky rubber underlayment down here now, so in your case maybe they are relying on that to keep the water out.
If you are relying on the underlayment, then why put shingles on? You don't ever want water running under your shingles. Metal should be over everything except the top of the vent.

That vent is a variation of an off-ridge vent, the O’Hagin brand is the best variation of that. Owens Corning sells the non-Cal Fire version of the low-profile O’Hagin vent. Ideally, the underside of that vent is to caulked to the roof deck opening(preferably with Geocel 4000/Duralink 35, but roof cement or Sikaflex is better than nothing) and shingled in a way as to let water run down it. The flashings are integrated to the flanges.

Looks like the install is right.

Thank you all for the responses. The roofing company came out and showed me how they installed them and that they are correct. Good thing they did come out though, as he was walking my roof he found some exposed nails and he wasn't happy at all with his crew. They're supposed to be out this week to replace all shingles they miss nailed.

Nice to see someone follow through and provide good customer service. I have never seen a vent like that. I guess you learn something new all the time.

Thank you all for the responses. The roofing company came out and showed me how they installed them and that they are correct. Good thing they did come out though, as he was walking my roof he found some exposed nails and he wasn't happy at all with his crew. They're supposed to be out this week to replace all shingles they miss nailed.
I had to get on my parent’s roofer for that. Shiners are bad - but if the shingles fail within the 10-year “comprehensive” period due to materials(that gets doubled to 20 or even 50 years if you have them installed by a “certified” roofer for that brand of shingle), the roofing manufacturer will replace it if it’s a product issue even with shoddy installation.

There is no such thing as a “lifetime” shingle anymore like it was years ago with basic/20/30/40/50 year. Your house’s exposure to the sun, wind and rain as well the brand/grade of shingle has more of an impact.

Glad it all worked out. Be sure and fill out the warranty paperwork for the shingles - don’t rely on the roofer to do this. You can likely get a copy of the warranty form online. Since shingles rarely last 30 years if you keep the proper paperwork and fill it out exactly per the manufacturer instructions you will likely get some money back (on a pro rated basis) if you have a claim....
Ice and water shield is the greatest thing to happen to roofing in the last 30 years in my opinion......

Ice and water shield is the greatest thing to happen to roofing in the last 30 years in my opinion......
synthetic underlayment as well. We didn’t need to use it per code but I pushed for it. I specified the entire Owens Corning system - ProArmor underlayment, Weatherlock Flex ice & water, Duration Cool shingles and their hip & ridge. It already looks good, it doesn’t have the same “pop” as GAF’s Timberline HD shingles or the rugged look of Certainteed’s Presidential shingles. I have confidence the system will last 25-30 years.

synthetic underlayment as well. We didn’t need to use it per code but I pushed for it. I specified the entire Owens Corning system - ProArmor underlayment, Weatherlock Flex ice & water, Duration Cool shingles and their hip & ridge. It already looks good, it doesn’t have the same “pop” as GAF’s Timberline HD shingles or the rugged look of Certainteed’s Presidential shingles. I have confidence the system will last 25-30 years.
A wise decision for sure. I used copper for the flashings with some aluminum rake trim. The gutters and downspouts are existing aluminum. There’s a saying “ Roofs don’t leak, flashing does”. I don’t care for galvanized....it simply does not last. On commercial projects we’re seeing stainless steel more and more frequently or prefinished galvalume with Kynar 20 year coatings. We are also paying more and more attention to how sheet metal is detailed and installed....interesting work.

I pushed (and paid for) the entire GAF lifetime certified solution including the synthetic underlayment and the HDZ shingles. We used the only GAF certified contractor in this area to do the install so I have the full 30year warranty. It looks great now, the crew came back out and redid the areas where nails were exposed and walked the entire roof one more time to check for any other defects.

Now to just recover from the $10,460 bill.... :(

I just called the company that did my roof and of course they tell me that how they do all roof vents in FL....

I told them I want someone out here right away and do not agree this is correct. They gave me a 10 year workmanship warranty so I'm hoping this is an easy fix...
In a past life I worked roofing, my thought Ridge Vent much better, the vent is low on the roof so not as effective. I worked in several states not Florida. Heavy rain will blast over that vent, flashing and 25year silicone will seal but I would not accept it

In a past life I worked roofing, my thought Ridge Vent much better, the vent is low on the roof so not as effective. I worked in several states not Florida. Heavy rain will blast over that vent, flashing and 25year silicone will seal but I would not accept it
I honestly wish they would've stayed with ridge vents as well, Just seems to me less holes in the roof the better. But the company that did the job convinced me that these vents perform better especially with the Florida heat. We shall see...

I honestly wish they would've stayed with ridge vents as well, Just seems to me less holes in the roof the better. But the company that did the job convinced me that these vents perform better especially with the Florida heat. We shall see...
Florida, especially Miami-Dade County has the toughest rules on roofs. While there are sub-par products that passed Miami-Dade approval, I’d generally trust products that have been marked as so.

That said, GAF and Lomanco who first made ridge vents wouldn’t do so without making sure they met MDC approval.

I pushed (and paid for) the entire GAF lifetime certified solution including the synthetic underlayment and the HDZ shingles. We used the only GAF certified contractor in this area to do the install so I have the full 30year warranty. It looks great now, the crew came back out and redid the areas where nails were exposed and walked the entire roof one more time to check for any other defects.

Now to just recover from the $10,460 bill.... :(
How big was the house????square foot of roof....single story or two??

Single story modular home, 2200 Sq ft living space. I believe they quoted 30-32 squares of shingles
Thanks I got a 1200 sqft home single story and will be needing a roof this year...Just curious about your cost and size of home...

Thanks I got a 1200 sqft home single story and will be needing a roof this year...Just curious about your cost and size of home...
Remember, I'm in Florida though, and due to the very strict codes here, our roofing jobs usually cost significantly more $$$

Back