Any Professional Roofers on here?

Just had my roof redone and used a reputable local company here in Central FL. My issue is with the roof vents, I'm questioning the install as well as the use of the box type vents vs the ridge vent that was on our house. From what I can tell there is supposed to be a visible flashing part of the vent on the down slope side so that water doesn't get in under the shingles. My vents are not installed like this and have shingles all around creating what I'd see as a potential water intrusion under the shingle in heavy rain eventually causing a major issue. Here is a pic of the exact vents we have but this shows the flashing exposed on the down slope and not under the shingles. Mine are installed with none of this flashing visible (can go up on the roof and get a pic if it helps)

Am I worrying about nothing?

Attachments

• ventilation-750-LomancoBoxVent.jpg
    ventilation-750-LomancoBoxVent.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 121
That looks fine to me. Think about how the water will run. If you put a shingle over the lower fashing, water will be sure to get under it.
There are a lot of opinions as to how much good roof vents in Florida do anyway, but I still like ridge vents.
One of the issues you would run into with ridge vents here is high winds, and the accompanied hurricane worthyness.

They also use a lot of that sticky rubber underlayment down here now, so in your case maybe they are relying on that to keep the water out.

I'm not a professional roofer, but, yes, you are absolutely correct. The downslope flashing must be on top of the shingle just as shown in the photo. Otherwise, the water will be directed underneath the shingles, just as you suggest. And don't let them suggest that caulking will fix it. Temporary, at best.
Thank you!! Exactly what I was thinking!!

Just to clarify, my vents were NOT installed like this pic... mine do not have the lower flashing exposed and is tucked under the shingles as you mention causing potential water intrusion.
That looks fine to me. Think about how the water will run. If you put a shingle over the lower fashing, water will be sure to get under it.
There are a lot of opinions as to how much good roof vents in Florida do anyway, but I still like ridge vents.
One of the issues you would run into with ridge vents here is high winds, and the accompanied hurricane worthyness.

I just called the company that did my roof and of course they tell me that how they do all roof vents in FL....

I told them I want someone out here right away and do not agree this is correct. They gave me a 10 year workmanship warranty so I'm hoping this is an easy fix...

We had these installed when we had a new roof installed and ours look just like the picture you posted except the shingles on the sides lay flatter and may be glued down on ours. Not sure 10 years would be good enough for me, we used 30 year shingles.

I've never saw one installed the way you describe yours were done and see no way it could be safe from water intrusion. I've done some roofing since the 1980's and have re-roofed my own houses/garages/storage buildings in the past without any leaks and have always left the bottom flashing of vents/boots exposed.

I am not anywhere close to being a professional roofer but I have been up on my own roof a plenty in 38 years that we’ve owned our home. THAT VENT DOES NOT LOOK CORRECT. And I could be wrong however that vent not only look installed wrong but the wrong vent for the application. But IDK about availability of parts.

Last edited:
We had these installed when we had a new roof installed and ours look just like the picture you posted except the shingles on the sides lay flatter and may be glued down on ours. Not sure 10 years would be good enough for me, we used 30 year shingles.
Just to be clear, the shingles are GAF HDX Premium with 30 year warranty. The 10 years is the roofing contractor.

I went up on my roof and took a pic of how my actual vent is installed. It seems a few are confusing the google pic of a CORRECTLY installed vent in my original post.

This is what mine look like:

Attachments

• Vent.jpg
    Vent.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 86
Note the area circled here, the flashing on the downslope is under the shingle and not on top as what I'm told is correct.

Attachments

• Vent marked.jpg
    Vent marked.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 27
Its possible that they were installed with the correct overlap at the bottom but they used an additional shingle or some ice/water shield on that part to hide the bottom part of the flange. Its impossible to know without seeing the vent and you wont be able to tell from the ground.

I posted the same time as you did, I honestly dont see an issue with it.
I actually preferred this style of vent over some of the ridge vents, I believe the CFM rating for air movement is better on this style of vent. I think they did this for aesthetics.

Last edited:
I was a hot tar roofer many moons ago and did a lot of flashing, That wide flange acts like a shingle and will shed water downward just like a shingle. If your vent was mounted on the wood deck and the shingles cut in all around yes water can get underneath the lower shingles along the vent itself.

The pictured vent looks correct as the flange acts like a shingle itself overlapping the lower shingles. notice also the ridges on the flange that both lift the upper shingle edges steering water away from the vent and directing any water downward to the top of the lower shingles. Hopefully your soffit vents are also adequate.

1639073187130.jpg

Its possible that they were installed with the correct overlap at the bottom but they used an additional shingle or some ice/water shield on that part to hide the bottom part of the flange. Its impossible to know without seeing the vent and you wont be able to tell from the ground.

I posted the same time as you did, I honestly dont see an issue with it.
I actually preferred this style of vent over some of the ridge vents, I believe the CFM rating for air movement is better on this style of vent. I think they did this for aesthetics.
I don't have as much of an issue with the type of vent as I do the improper install... note in my last post above how my vents are installed without the flashing showing on the downslope, it is under the shingle.

Note the area circled here, the flashing on the downslope is under the shingle and not on top as what I'm told is correct.
Question to ask ...is the vent flange ON TOP of the VERY Bottom row in the picture (Green lines) If it is then the shingles you point to are just dressing to make the roof pretty.

1639074211555.jpg

Well they always have 30-50 year warranty on the shingle, but you're probably not going to find too many people who will warranty the job for 30 years. 10 years isn't too bad, the guy I use does 12 years. If you read the warranty they just pro-rate the shingle anyway so the 30 year warranty is pretty meaningless at 29 years.

Question to ask ...is the vent flange ON TOP of the VERY Bottom row in the picture (Green lines) If it is then the shingles you point to are just dressing to make the roof pretty.

View attachment 80517
Oh OK I see what you're saying... that would make sense. I'm not sure how its installed under that row, I was afraid to look and damage something. Hopefully the contractor comes out and shows me this is the case.

Back