Any problems using 15w-40 in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if using 15w-40 diesel oil in a car would be a problem with summer temps. The cars are a 1994 acheiva with the quad 4 engine and a 2001 buick with the 3100.

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
Just wondering if using 15w-40 diesel oil in a car would be a problem with summer temps. The cars are a 1994 acheiva with the quad 4 engine and a 2001 buick with the 3100.

Honestly, you dont need it.

If it was FLorida weather, 15W-50 Mobil1 would be EXCELLENT.. but 10W-40 Synthetic Blend OR Full Synthetic High Mileage M1.. but also 10W-30 is fine there too (Hotness would make it preferrable to 5W-30, if it was Miami Hot.)

Last edited:
Use 5W40 Rotella is you want to use a diesel motor oil, the viscosity is far closer to what is spec'ed for those 2 engines. 15W40 may be thick enough to cause starting issues in your climate.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying about a 5w40 or 10w30 being better but I have a lot of 15w40 and would like to use it up. I don't see a problem using it if the temps are above 40 or 50 degrees and I drive it easy until the oil warms up. I have done it before and it didn't raise the oil pressure much after a minute or two. If it isn't going to hurt anything I would like to use it. Thanks

I have used 15W40 in my BMW for years; and it is the perfect oil for that car. ALthough they tend to like oil a bit thicker than a domestic.

You will have no problems, except 1/2% less fuel economy

I understand what you are saying about a 5w40 or 10w30 being better but I have a lot of 15w40 and would like to use it up. I don't see a problem using it if the temps are above 40 or 50 degrees and I drive it easy until the oil warms up. I have done it before and it didn't raise the oil pressure much after a minute or two. If it isn't going to hurt anything I would like to use it. Thanks

Just dont ever buy it again unless you move to South Miami in August.

My father in law uses Rotella 15w40 in everything he ownes and one of them is a Buick with the 3.1, a 4 cylinder cavalier, and two pickup trucks. He lives is PA and runs it all year long. I dont believe this is a best practice because of the cold winters but he has had a lot of vehicles through the years and i dont believe any of them failed due to an oil related issue. Personally i would use it and just be aware that on cooler mornings the oil will be a little thicker. I have seen so many people run Rotella in everything and not have issues. If i was buying it i would choose a 5w30 or something but if i had it and conditions were mild, i would use the hdeo and not be worried about it.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem using it if the temps are above 40 or 50 degrees and I drive it easy until the oil warms up.

Neither do I, and I'm right next door in eastern SD.

If your going to see warm temps sure use it up, shouldn't hurt a thing but maybe some mileage loss...maybe let it warn up a few before hammering the throttle also.

I used to have a 4.0 Ranger with 200k that I used 15w-40 in the warmer months and never had a problem, the truck ran great. I still use it in my jeep 4.0 with no problems and it is at 198k and still runs great.

Using it in 4 of my family members cars right now(BOGO). 06' Equinox, 02' Lancer, 00' Taurus, and 98' Taurus. None of them have had any issues at all. Our temps aren't low, but sometimes in the 40's, no issues. It will start warming up soon as well, I've never been worried about it.

My two cars below use rotella T 15W40 in above freezing months, the Neon gets thrashed around the autocross course and the Tracker does some towing. No oil related problems I'm aware of.

I dont like having a large % Mg soot control additive in a PCMO, as this is one of the more "abrasive" adds, but it should be OK and not cause lube related failures, though likely too thick for "optimal" operation. The lighter rotellas in the CJ-4/SM spec dont use the Mg add.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
My father in law uses Rotella 15w40 in everything he ownes and one of them is a Buick with the 3.1, a 4 cylinder cavalier, and two pickup trucks. He lives is PA and runs it all year long. I dont believe this is a best practice because of the cold winters but he has had a lot of vehicles through the years and i dont believe any of them failed due to an oil related issue. Personally i would use it and just be aware that on cooler mornings the oil will be a little thicker. I have seen so many people run Rotella in everything and not have issues. If i was buying it i would choose a 5w30 or something but if i had it and conditions were mild, i would use the hdeo and not be worried about it.
Same here, Up in Pa, we used 15w40 Pennzoil Longlife in everything, because we bought it bulk for trucking. Although we bought it to use in Tri-axle trucks, we used it In the cars, Dodge Caravan, pickup trucks, atvs, motorcycles, lawnmowers, whatever and we had no problems. It went way down past 0 in the mountains and we used it all winter long without problems. thats why it cracks me up that people think 10w30 is to thick below 32. Use it and it will actually keep your engine cleaner than any gasoline speced oil.

Last edited:
For a bit of interesting trivia, Pennzoil Long Life 15w40 actually has a lower pour point than Pennzoil conventional 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Use 30 weight unless you have consumption or aftermarket modifications.

or free rotella

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
What about mixing 50/50 with 5w-20.

1) 50s50 isnt a grade.. Stright 50 is made.

2) That would be weird. Just use the median of the two.. 10W-30.

3) Seems even 5W-30 WOULD be OK in Summer Miami.

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back