Any Others Start Off At A Gas Station?

Working was beneficial for teens saving up for their first ride. Whether it was at the service station or boxing groceries at the Piggly Wiggly, it taught the meaning of being a productive citizen in society.

Nope never have. Too young lol. We did have one two Shell stations that use to have garages but they closed down. I knew one of the mechanics at one because he was my little league baseball coach he said I could come to work there anytime well when I got old enough to work him and his dad had shut it down so oh well lol.

I worked at a Union 76 station after my high school job at McDonalds. I remember a highway patrolman would come in with a 440 Plymouth or Dodge. It was one of those two tone baby blue and white ones. I would always have to put two quart of oil in that thing every time he had me fill it up with gas. That 440 sucked more oil than any other car I have every seen at the gas station. BTW the patrolman that drove it was a super nice fellow too and was always in a joking type of mood and smiling.
I remember we had a customer who was a handyman. He drove a Corvair van, then later an early model Econoline Ford. The Corvair needed a quart every week (burned oil, leaky pushrod tubes) and the Econoline needed one every two weeks (leaky oil pan gasket, rear main seal). We never did and lube work for him except grease the chassis every few months, just gas and top off. Oh, and several packs of our cheapest cigarettes a week haha.

My uncle owned a full service TEXACO in the 80's. He also had a UNIROYAL tire shop about a mile up the road. He was located right outside of the main entrance to LSU. When I wasn't working shut downs or turn a rounds in the petro plants I was working for my uncle.

Went to work at a NY chain grocery store in 1971, 29 hours per week after school (the part time max for that union, any more involved full time benefits). Minimum wage was $1.85 an hour. They started me off at $1.90 per hour. Took home close to $50 per week after taxes, that was a lot of money to a 16 year old.

Nope never have. Too young lol. We did have one two Shell stations that use to have garages but they closed down. I knew one of the mechanics at one because he was my little league baseball coach he said I could come to work there anytime well when I got old enough to work him and his dad had shut it down so oh well lol.
By the time I was old enough to have thought about such a job, the gas stations around the edges of the Quarter were all gone.

Started off in a steak house, went from busboy to line cook, boss was a good guy, would go in early before my shift for free steak dinner, took 4 yrs of auto class and when I graduated joined the NAVY as a jet mechanic. 🇺🇸

Started off in a steak house, went from busboy to line cook, boss was a good guy, would go in early before my shift for free steak dinner, took 4 yrs of auto class and when I graduated joined the NAVY as a jet mechanic. 🇺🇸
Dang, gas station had a Coke machine and snack machine … and you paid ☹️

When did "gas stations" begin to go away? Maybe in the late 1980s? That's when I remember all the corporate branded "convenience stores" popping up everywhere. Growing up my family always went to the corner gas stations for everything (1970s). The owners were always someone my parents went to school with and grew up with. One of my parents' county judge friends also owned a gas station, and that's the one we mostly went to. They would pull up to the pump,the bell would ring as we ran over that alert hose,the attendant would walk outside and begin pumping the gas. While it was pumping he would check the oil, fill the washer fluid, and check all four tires.

The good old days!!

When did "gas stations" begin to go away? Maybe in the late 1980s? That's when I remember all the corporate branded "convenience stores" popping up everywhere. Growing up my family always went to the corner gas stations for everything (1970s). The owners were always someone my parents went to school with and grew up with. One of my parents' county judge friends also owned a gas station, and that's the one we mostly went to. They would pull up to the pump,the bell would ring as we ran over that alert hose,the attendant would walk outside and begin pumping the gas. While it was pumping he would check the oil, fill the washer fluid, and check all four tires.

The good old days!!
All the above and really loved the smell of gasoline as drove in to get your FULL service. (y)

Close...
I worked a weekend with my brother at a car wash - before my drivers license, by the way...
My duties were to reset radios to a particular AM progressive rock, set ACs to full blast, drive from pay booth to vacuum stations.
The creature comforts keep the vacuum team happy and working.
Those were my official duties.

Back